New Square body owner (1987 K10)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nellie

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.7L V-6
I just got my dad's old Custom Deluxe. Nothing too fancy (4.3 litter V6, no AC, Automatic) - probably the base truck you could buy at the time. I have the original window sticker for $10,200. It has been sitting in a barn for about 15 years and has only 30K miles and all the original Equipment, except someone "borrowed" the spare (so I need to find another rim). The truck is matte black with a red cloth bench seat, and has just a few little rust spots on the chrome bumpers and on the white painted steel rims. The truck passed inspection with ease. I do have a couple of condition concerns . I have to stand on the brakes with all my weight to stop, so I am worried that I need a new brake pump, but my dad says the truck has a manual brake and always needed a lot of force to stop. Also, the seat belts tend to not retract when I am driving around but just sit loosely near my shoulder. There is a also a lot of squealing in the belts when I idle in neutral, but the noise goes away when I shift into drive. I am also tempted to change the very small side mirrors , but I really like that the truck is all stock. Also, there is a crack in the plastic grill, and I may try to epoxy it.

I am loving the truck so far. I will post a couple of pictures after I give the truck a nice wash and wax.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
Welcome. Good story. You can find out anything you need to know about your truck here. Knowledge and hospitality are plentiful.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I thought vacuum boosted brakes were standard well by 1987. I'd look into putting in a booster if I were you because it'd probably be a better driving experience for you. The first thing I would do is check for brake fluid leaks, and if there aren't any, bleed the brakes to get rid of that old watery fluid. It'll still be a hard pedal, but I'm willing to bet you won't have to slam your foot to the floor. It would probably be a good idea to do a belt inspection. The alternator belt is a micro-serpentine so you'd look for cracks in the ribs (probably not worn down with that low mileage) and you can look for cracks in the teeth of the V-belts. I usually look for 'twangy' belts that need tightening when they start to chirp or squeal. Also, if you can make it squeal, you can get a spray bottle with water and spray the belts one by one, and when you get one to stop squealing, that's the troublemaker.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Cool, welcome.

If you post some shots of under your hood, we can tell you if you have power brakes now or not, of course, your window sticker would also have that info.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum.
A lot of knowledge floating around in here, any questions ? ask away.
You are in the right place to keep that truck running forever.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I just got my dad's old Custom Deluxe. Nothing too fancy (4.3 litter V6, no AC, Automatic) - probably the base truck you could buy at the time. I have the original window sticker for $10,200. It has been sitting in a barn for about 15 years and has only 30K miles and all the original Equipment, except someone "borrowed" the spare (so I need to find another rim). The truck is matte black with a red cloth bench seat, and has just a few little rust spots on the chrome bumpers and on the white painted steel rims. The truck passed inspection with ease. I do have a couple of condition concerns . I have to stand on the brakes with all my weight to stop, so I am worried that I need a new brake pump, but my dad says the truck has a manual brake and always needed a lot of force to stop. Also, the seat belts tend to not retract when I am driving around but just sit loosely near my shoulder. There is a also a lot of squealing in the belts when I idle in neutral, but the noise goes away when I shift into drive. I am also tempted to change the very small side mirrors , but I really like that the truck is all stock. Also, there is a crack in the plastic grill, and I may try to epoxy it.

I am loving the truck so far. I will post a couple of pictures after I give the truck a nice wash and wax.

Welcome aboard.

Could you post a pic of the window sticker? I didn't keep mine and would like to see what the format looks like.

K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35