New here, 1976 K10 400ci needs some work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mishri

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So my dad bought the car brand new in 1975. He loves this truck but he hasn't been able to get anyone to do a good job fixing things as they come up. I know some people who are really good mechanics and they also know some good body guys so I'm hoping to get it restored to like-new condition. So he was letting the truck sit for a few months and said he wasn't going to drive it anymore since so much is wrong with it now.

I'd like to save money on the restoration ordering things online or hitting swap meets. The last time the engine was rebuilt was in the 80s. So I'm going to have a guy I know rebuild the engine, while he is digging in there i'm trying to decide if I should go with some better heads/manifold/cam. right now it does have an aftermarket cam, installed during the last rebuild. It does have a new edelbrock carb, he got tired of rebuilding the quadrajet it had. The speedometer stopped working soon after a new transmission was installed a few years ago, fuel gauges aren't working, temp gauge is likely off, but oil pressure gauge is good.

It is a 400ci original engine, 4wd, automatic.
You must be registered for see images attach

So I'd like any advice or tips people have for getting it back into good running/looking shape and what parts are worth going aftermarket on and which aren't, i'd prefer it to be mostly original but it doens't have to be. Some things that would be nice to add would be cruise control and variable speed wipers. I intend to take this out camping/hunting and on some rough roads/a little off-road. should I order new body panels and a tail gate or pay someone to fix them? I really don't have any experience with restoration and I'd prefer to do as much as I can and only pay people for what I have to have a pro do.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Tailgate looks pretty good to me, I would just restore it. You should also remove one of the j-hooks from the chain and put a padlock on it, before someone runs off with that tailgate! Intermittent wipers might be pretty easy to do with a steering column swap (so the wiper control will be on the turn signal switch) and a little light wiring retrofit. If you plan on keeping the suspension height/tire size stock then the trans/t-case/axles it has now should suffice. That engine likely has the siamese cylinders on both banks, which just means the 2 middle cylinders on both sides have steam holes instead of a water jacket. So they are more likely to blow a head gasket than other smallblocks. Being that it's a factory air truck that is going to be a great base for a restoration, I am envious. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay! BTW I like that front bumper! :cheers:

Mishri

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The tailgate is cracked on the right side and the outside part is bent. A guy said he could fix it up for me though, but it doesn't close properly.

I see you mentioned in another thread about locking the tailgate. Is that a problem around there? we've never had an issue with stolen tailgates, that one has been sitting outside for 35 years in town w/o being stolen. Now it's in a garage I don't think i'll have to worry about it.

I'm going to try to get it running well again in the next few weeks, taking it to a friend who is a good/meticulous mechanic, he'll rebuild the engine and fix the speedometer and gas gauge. after that my next concern is the doors, they don't close well and driving down the highway is loud from the wind noise. Another concern is the tires, they dont have many miles on it but they are like 10 years old and weather worn/cracked. My dad said they should be fine because they have a 6-ply sidewall and 8-ply tread. If I do decide to replace them i want to find some good off-road/muddy road tires.

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome!

With all those plans you have for it I am going to make some suggestions you can do while tackling all the issues you were talking about. Going balls deep into a drive train rebuild and good paint job might burn you out half way through the project.

Buffing compound and a harbor freight polisher would surprise the hell out of you. the paint may look nasty as hell but if you buff it out a little you could easily put off a paint job and still have a good lookin truck while you figure out the motor. As far as the motor, you can do it yourself. Between everyone on the forum contributing, there is no reason you cant build it.

big thing I noticed, your hood is about to bend in half. There is a brace kit LMC sells to keep it from bending the rest of the way. In the mean time I suggest soaking the hinges in WD-40, that works too.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Stepside tailgates are getting pricey, so it wouldnt surprise me if yours suddenliy came up missing. 35 years is a good run but it only takes once to break that run. Then you might find out, looking for one to replace it, how hard to come by they are getting.

As for the doors there is a door striker tech tip thread here somewhere, where you just cut a piece of 1/2" PEX water line and drive it onto the striker bolt to work as a new bushing. I've done it on 2 trucks and it works great. You will likely need to do new door pins and bushings in the hinges too, and weather stripping.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard Jake, that is a great project truck, really unique!!

Member here called Retro, he is the man for any stock looking upgrades and gadgets. He is very good with that, knows a lot of that stuff.

Very talented, knowledgeable group of guys here willing to help. :)

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Welcome aboard Jake (from another Jake)!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not only is it an orange stepside, which I LOVE, but it's also the rare "Sport" model! That's why those white stripes are there. What you have is a piece of 70's glory:waytogo:

Mishri

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks, I love this truck. I grew up hunting and camping in it and would love to see it looking like it used to.

As far as the engine rebuild goes I'd like to learn how to do it and do it myself. On the other hand I have a guy at work here that everyone says is an awesome mechanic who will rebuild it for me at/near cost. $300 for a rebuild, $200-300 more if it needs valve work. So it would be worth it to know it's being done right by someone good.

Thanks for all the compliments. I'll have to post some threads as it comes a long and when I have questions. so far I have an LMCtruck catalogue, but i'll order as much as i can off of rockauto.com since I hear that is the lowest price.

I'll have too look for that write up on the doors, i'd really like to get them functioning properly again and I happen to have some pex laying around from a bathroom remodel I did a couple of years ago.

another thing I'd like to do sooner rather than later is put in a new bed, the old one is rotted out so bad there are some large holes in it. I'd like to do wood again.

as far as the hood goes my dad claims the braces do nothing to help it, the hinges were recently greased up and it closes easily enough, i just close it from that side so it doesn't bend anymore than it has. I'll order a new hood once i am ready for the body work. I'll have to make some threads in the proper sections soon. Because I'm also wondering if those body panels and doors that rockauto.com sells are any good or if I should just have a body shop repair the damaged ones, the doors and front fenders are rusted. dent in the left side fender and dents in the rear fenders. also cab corners are rusted.

Since I got it from my dad about a month ago I've replaced the water pump, lower radiator hose, vaccuum advance (or timing advance controller), fixed the ignition timing, tightened up the valve covers that were leaking oil because they weren't even finger tight. next up i'm planning on having that co-worker rebuild the engine and fix the speedometer and fuel gauge for me. then I'll worry about the cosmetic things getting the interior comfortable again, fixing the A/C (it has a leak, co-workers think it's probably leaking from the compressor)

Last edited:

clkelley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
6.6L
Welcome to the neighborhood!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB. Certainly a worthwhile project. You'll get just about all the advice and suggestions you can handle here. :waytogo:

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
welcome to the forum You have a very nice truck that could be awsome with some elbow grease . you can get lots of awnsers here.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Welcome, good luck with your project.

Mishri

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I recently had a lot of work done on the truck.

New engine. Replaced the 400 (It had no compression) with a custom 350 cost me about $900. bored to about 360ci, custom heads with larger valves, RV cam, dual plane edelbrock performer intake manifold... seems to have a good deal of power. told the guy I wanted to tow with it.

Also replaced all of the u joints, replaced differential fluid in both, replaced transmission fluid and filter, rebuilt the np203 transfer case. (all of the gears and chain needed replaced). new cab mounts, door strikers, hinge pins. fixed the speedometer and fuel gauge... fixed the driver side window (would fall off track).. steering box replaced. driver side hub was stuck in locked, fixed that. replaced the turn signal switch (it was broken, and would cause the horn to go off when I turned the steering wheel). the neck on the radiator was broken, that was repaired. thermostat sending unit.. new water pump... replaced seals..

Next up it needs an alignment.. and it should be pretty mechanically sound.

I need to fix the wind noise.. really loud in the truck going over 40mph. to address that I need window and door seals, and new shift boot. I'll take recommendations/tips/tutorials on the window and door seals.

Also I need to fix the AC.. coolant leaks out... and other interior bits.

after that it will be bed and body work.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly