New guy with a power lock issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sposey7

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hi there.

I recently change the lock acutator in my passenger door, and once I put the door panel back on the lock only moved a fraction of an inch.

Could it be a cheap motor, tight parts, etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Might be tight linkage - what was the problem with the one you removed?

Try spraying some Pblaster on the actual lock mechanism (not the link rods or the motor - that probably won't help). Let it soak for awhile. Then - while providing some assistance with the manual door lock button in the appropriate directions - try stroking the lock motor up and down electrically.

If it seems to start moving more easily and gets a longer stroke...you are on the right track. keep applying the penetrating fluid and working the lock mechanism up and down.

Resist the temptation to just use the electric motor - you can easily burn it up by repeatedly trying to overcome a bound up lock mechanism with the motor alone.

If lubrication does not help, you will need to completely uncouple the motor from any linkage and then try it electrically again. If it then snaps fully up and down (against a little pressure from your finger) it is not the problem - passing that test would also eliminate the power and control wiring.

At that point it would be a safe assumption that there is corrosion in the lock mechanism and it will require more lubrication and manual cycling - until it moves freely.

Are you sure that you re-assembled everything as factory? It might be worth the time to open the driver's door and check that the RH side is the same.

sposey7

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'll be refurbishing the door panels and possibly installing newer vent windows next weekend. I'll inspect the mechanisms, compare/contrast, and hit both sides with PB as well.

Thanks for the insight and advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grayson1210