Need help deciding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hey guys. Long time Chevy Suburban guy here. Been moving older and older. Right now have a great 99 GMT400 that I love, but think it is time to go older again. So I am looking at 2 different ones and would love advice on what is better, thoughts on them, and what to look for.

1. 1987 R20 2500 Suburban with the 454

2. 1977 C10 1500 Suburban with 5.7

I know the 87 is TBI and the 77 is carb. I am cool with both. Living in Florida, cold weather starting isn't really an issue for me. The 87 is clean pretty much everywhere and has the 3rd row and rear air. The 77 has a few normal body rust areas, but definitely not cancer. Frame is clean. Doesn't have the 3rd row or rear air.

Both are in great looking shape. I like the 3rd row and rear air, but man that 77 body style just looks so good. What are your thoughts? Thanks for the help!
I'd go with the 87, simple reason being as production goes on the line is refined. Some issues earlier on like with the hood seam, are gone by 87. The 77 is more like to have rust issues than the 87, it's not just the 10 year span, but also the fenders were improved and rust in those areas reduced. The wiper system is better on the 87. The fuel system is improved, that TBI 454 is going to get better mileage than a carbed 454. I could go on and on with why the 87 is the better truck, but finally there is the C10 vs C20. I'd want the C20, BC it's heavier duty and has a higher towing rating. Then there is you, do you prefer carburation or TBI. Again I would pick the TBI, but that's me...

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I'd go with the 87, simple reason being as production goes on the line is refined. Some issues earlier on like with the hood seam, are gone by 87. The 77 is more like to have rust issues than the 87, it's not just the 10 year span, but also the fenders were improved and rust in those areas reduced. The wiper system is better on the 87. The fuel system is improved, that TBI 454 is going to get better mileage than a carbed 454. I could go on and on with why the 87 is the better truck, but finally there is the C10 vs C20. I'd want the C20, BC it's heavier duty and has a higher towing rating. Then there is you, do you prefer carburation or TBI. Again I would pick the TBI, but that's me...
Between tbi and carb I can go either way. I love working on these things, so fiddling around with a carb sounds fun to me, and it is mechanical and easier to diagnose. You can fix a carb on the side of the road with your leatherman. TBI has all the positives we know so that is great too. I am leaning toward the 87, but that 77 just looks great. The 87 will probably be a better vehicle for me though honestly. Just nervous buying something across the country. I know I can not buy it once I get there, but it is a gamble either way. Both of them are out of state.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I'd go with the '87. It sounds like a better, more capable, truck IMO.

I had a '76 Monte Carlo, and I REALLY disliked the stacked rectangular headlights when I first got the car. I much rather would've had a '73 - '75 with the single round headlights. Over time, the stacked lights really grew on me. Now I miss my '76 and prefer the look of it over the '75 Monte that I currently own.

It sounds like you prefer the aesthetics of the '77 right now. How confident are you in that preference?

Lastly, don't be afraid to walk away if either of the trucks don't meet your minimum expectations. It would be disappointing to go out of state and come home empty handed, but I think buyer's remorse would be even more disappointing.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Did you go see it in person?
If it's the one in Easley, SC I did. It was here in Gainesville, Ga earlier in the year. I stopped and gawked at how clean it was but couldn't justify the asking price at the time.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
If it's the one in Easley, SC I did. It was here in Gainesville, Ga earlier in the year. I stopped and gawked at how clean it was but couldn't justify the asking price at the time.
Yeah it is. So it is nice. Cool. I think it is the one I want to go with. What were they asking at the time?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yeah it is. So it is nice. Cool. I think it is the one I want to go with.
At least, I'm about 98% sure that's the same truck. It was very, very clean. I think the little lot here wanted 9kish for it and it's like 12k and change now. That's on the high end of burb prices but I'd say it's worth it. Burb's are not the money makers shortbeds are but if you're looking for a keeper truck and want a 'burb, that's about the nicest one I've seen in a long time.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
At least, I'm about 98% sure that's the same truck. It was very, very clean. I think the little lot here wanted 9kish for it and it's like 12k and change now. That's on the high end of burb prices but I'd say it's worth it. Burb's are not the money makers shortbeds are but if you're looking for a keeper truck and want a 'burb, that's about the nicest one I've seen in a long time.
They were asking almost 15 for it a couple months ago. Looking nationwide, in this condition they seem to be going for around 15-20 so 12 seems good to me. At 9 I would have been all over it.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
They were asking almost 15 for it a couple months ago. Looking nationwide, in this condition they seem to be going for around 15-20 so 12 seems good to me. At 9 I would have been all over it.
There's a handful here in the southeast that are priced in the 7-12k range that seem to be decent trucks. I've been shopping for the last week or so for another project as well haha. If I decide to go 'burb over a pickup, I've found about 5 big blocks that are in the running under 10k. But they're not as nice as that one

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome!
Not sure why you’re asking us. It’s like asking someone else what color shirt YOU would prefer.
But that aside, there are so many variables and differences that “picking” one is not something we can do. But the round eye wins for being cool.
Few thoughts:
First the 77 is not a C10. It’s a 3/4 ton too. Fwiw
Use? DD or weekend cruiser? It’s a toss up which one will get worse mileage and neither of them will be fast enough to say one is quicker than the other.
All the wiring etc in the 77 will be 10 years older or crispy er than the 87. But at this point it’s which one is in better shape in the “hidden” areas.
You make no mention of budget or ensuing repairs. But both need to be considered from that respect equally.
Last, if DDing it, both will be less pleasant than a 99. Totally. But the one with the deepest gears and no overdrive will be worse. And the older one will be worse if it doesn’t have cruise and delay wipers (very rare in 77).

Those are my thoughts what you should consider, not just asking the peanut gallery without any specifics in your request.

Oh and neither are 4wd. Someone said the 87 was.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look in the PNW for cheap 2wd burbs. Don’t see many with fresh paint but there are tons of them that look solid for cheap. 4x4s also. Burbs are about half or less of comparable pickups up here.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome!
Not sure why you’re asking us. It’s like asking someone else what color shirt YOU would prefer.
But that aside, there are so many variables and differences that “picking” one is not something we can do. But the round eye wins for being cool.
Few thoughts:
First the 77 is not a C10. It’s a 3/4 ton too. Fwiw
Use? DD or weekend cruiser? It’s a toss up which one will get worse mileage and neither of them will be fast enough to say one is quicker than the other.
All the wiring etc in the 77 will be 10 years older or crispy er than the 87. But at this point it’s which one is in better shape in the “hidden” areas.
You make no mention of budget or ensuing repairs. But both need to be considered from that respect equally.
Last, if DDing it, both will be less pleasant than a 99. Totally. But the one with the deepest gears and no overdrive will be worse. And the older one will be worse if it doesn’t have cruise and delay wipers (very rare in 77).

Those are my thoughts what you should consider, not just asking the peanut gallery without any specifics in your request.

Oh and neither are 4wd. Someone said the 87 was.
I totally agree with most everything you say. Was really wanting more of opinion of them as an owner. I haven't had one from this generation yet and figured there may be some things that you guys would know about either year that I didn't know yet. Something that would make me want to pick one or the other. Things like delay wipers you mentioned. Would haven't have thought about that. Yeah, I know they are both 2 wheel drive.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I totally agree with most everything you say. Was really wanting more of opinion of them as an owner. I haven't had one from this generation yet and figured there may be some things that you guys would know about either year that I didn't know yet. Something that would make me want to pick one or the other. Things like delay wipers you mentioned. Would haven't have thought about that. Yeah, I know they are both 2 wheel drive.
They’re both old. Any vehicle specific “quirks” are either sorted out or too old to matter. I suppose you could have tbi or emissions issues with the 87 if it’s still stock under the hood that would be more difficult to deal with if you’re not a good shade tree mechanic.
And if it has an OD trans, that’s great for drive-ability. Not great as the early 700r4 were not as reliable as a good th350/400, but would make it a much better highway vehicle….but you didn’t say what gears either truck has.
If 4.10s and no OD either will be basically un-driveable at FloRida highway speeds. 3.73….ish. Anything taller almost a necessity if you’re taking it on the freeways.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Since you are in Florida, and you aren't looking for a 4x4 I feel comfort should be considered. The 87 has better air and better more comfy interior. The 454 will have an easier time running that AC, which in the middle of summer is a must.

Best of luck!!

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I like the 77 better, and if you're not hauling a heavy trailer a lot, that 350 is all you'll need.
I'd imagine the 1/2 ton is geared higher too, which should give you even better mileage.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I'd go with the '87. It sounds like a better, more capable, truck IMO.

I had a '76 Monte Carlo, and I REALLY disliked the stacked rectangular headlights when I first got the car. I much rather would've had a '73 - '75 with the single round headlights. Over time, the stacked lights really grew on me. Now I miss my '76 and prefer the look of it over the '75 Monte that I currently own.

It sounds like you prefer the aesthetics of the '77 right now. How confident are you in that preference?

Lastly, don't be afraid to walk away if either of the trucks don't meet your minimum expectations. It would be disappointing to go out of state and come home empty handed, but I think buyer's remorse would be even more disappointing.
That's what happened on my '81. I think because I didn't want the truck to begin with, but needed the truck, I didn't care for the look of it. Now, I think it's sexy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy