Need help deciding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I happen to have just looked under the hood of an all original 77 3/4 ton 350 truck with factory cruise and I recall seeing 2 different doohickeys like that on the fender well.
From what I am seeing, I think one is the speedo and cruise transducer and the other is the servo that goes to the carb. Zooming in on the pic and vids that I have of it running, that is what it is plumbed to, so I think that is what it is. Maybe different years have different placements or something.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
The shop I am buying from went through the truck today. Oil change, new belts, and fluids. They know I am picking it up and driving it 1400 miles immediately so they wanted to make sure it was all good. Had them check the tires. They look brand new, but had a 14 year old date code (this thing was never driven....70k original miles). So I had to pick out tires and they are getting them installed for me so it is all ready. I wanted to have a little bigger stance on it but not a lift. It currently has 235/85/16 on it. They look good, but wanted to fill out the wheel well just a bit more. So I went with 285/75/16. I am hoping they fit and I don't regret it. They are only about 1 inch taller and 2 inches wider than what is on it now. I know the width is about as wide as I comfortably would want to go. I know that off road guys would go wider, but not me. From what it looks like the wheels are tucked in quite a bit because it is 2wd. So I think I am fine. Anyone else have experience on running that size on a stock C20?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The shop I am buying from went through the truck today. Oil change, new belts, and fluids. They know I am picking it up and driving it 1400 miles immediately so they wanted to make sure it was all good. Had them check the tires. They look brand new, but had a 14 year old date code (this thing was never driven....70k original miles). So I had to pick out tires and they are getting them installed for me so it is all ready. I wanted to have a little bigger stance on it but not a lift. It currently has 235/85/16 on it. They look good, but wanted to fill out the wheel well just a bit more. So I went with 285/75/16. I am hoping they fit and I don't regret it. They are only about 1 inch taller and 2 inches wider than what is on it now. I know the width is about as wide as I comfortably would want to go. I know that off road guys would go wider, but not me. From what it looks like the wheels are tucked in quite a bit because it is 2wd. So I think I am fine. Anyone else have experience on running that size on a stock C20?

Those tires should fit it just fine. I went to 265/75-16's myself but I know guys are running 285/75-16's without an issue.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
Those tires should fit it just fine. I went to 265/75-16's myself but I know guys are running 285/75-16's without an issue.
That is great to hear. Was a little nervous about it. I almost went to the 265's, but I wanted just little taller. I did the same thing with my 99 gmt400 suburban. That has 15" rims so I went up to 31/10.5/15 and it filled in the wheel wells so well without a lift. Love the look and wanted to do the same thing on this.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That is great to hear. Was a little nervous about it. I almost went to the 265's, but I wanted just little taller. I did the same thing with my 99 gmt400 suburban. That has 15" rims so I went up to 31/10.5/15 and it filled in the wheel wells so well without a lift. Love the look and wanted to do the same thing on this.
I didn't want the added height. There is a thread on here from when I was trying to decide, but basically I ended up going with the 265's because I needed a little wider tire. I actually went in with a totally different idea, but Bucket / Andy suggested that I might want a wider tire for increased stability when towing and for increase tread on the ground when driving on the farm. All of what he said made sense, especially giving my truck is a C20. He was suggesting the 285/75-16's but I went with the 265's because I'd get some added width, but no added height. I did not want to add to the height given my less than steller knees and hips. But the 265's did put enough extra tread on the ground to be noticeable, actually between the increased width and going from the PO's tire pick to the AT tires I love the increase in traction has been substantial. The one thing I will say I noticed as a negitive. My 265's if I get a rock stuck in the outside of the tread it'll throw it right down the side of the truck when it lets loose. I've added running boards which have eliminated that issue, but it's something to be aware of with wider tires. Of course that might not be an issue depending on your choice of tread pattern.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I didn't want the added height. There is a thread on here from when I was trying to decide, but basically I ended up going with the 265's because I needed a little wider tire. I actually went in with a totally different idea, but Bucket / Andy suggested that I might want a wider tire for increased stability when towing and for increase tread on the ground when driving on the farm. All of what he said made sense, especially giving my truck is a C20. He was suggesting the 285/75-16's but I went with the 265's because I'd get some added width, but no added height. I did not want to add to the height given my less than steller knees and hips. But the 265's did put enough extra tread on the ground to be noticeable, actually between the increased width and going from the PO's tire pick to the AT tires I love the increase in traction has been substantial. The one thing I will say I noticed as a negitive. My 265's if I get a rock stuck in the outside of the tread it'll throw it right down the side of the truck when it lets loose. I've added running boards which have eliminated that issue, but it's something to be aware of with wider tires. Of course that might not be an issue depending on your choice of tread pattern.
Yeah, I won't be going off road much, so I went with the Cooper HT3. It is an E rated tire. I am trying to figure out what psi I need to run on them. That is a rabbit hole to go down for sure. The tires are rated up to 80psi, but that seems crazy high. I don't think it would be a problem with the old steel wheels, but what do I know. I think I am just gonna get em and do a chalk test and see how they are wearing and go from there.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yeah, I won't be going off road much, so I went with the Cooper HT3. It is an E rated tire. I am trying to figure out what psi I need to run on them. That is a rabbit hole to go down for sure. The tires are rated up to 80psi, but that seems crazy high. I don't think it would be a problem with the old steel wheels, but what do I know. I think I am just gonna get em and do a chalk test and see how they are wearing and go from there.
As far as tire pressure is concerned, if your going to load it, or tow with it your going to want to be on the higher end of course depending on the amount of weight but 60 - 80 is reasonable for a heavy load. And you can run those pressures empty, but if you'd prefer a slightly softer ride there is no problem running them lower, I personally wouldn't want less than 35. Your right it is a rabbit hole. I run 50 in my front tires and 60 in the rear on my truck. I can haul an average load without having to think about needing to add air, but if I go for gravel or something like that they all get run to up to 70. So there is that, you can run a little less in the front if you prefer for your comfort. The down fall to larger tires and lower psi is sometimes a little more squirm out of the sidewalls. I'd suggest if your going to run empty or only light loads try a few different pressures until you get what you want, but remember if you run around 35, and suddenly put 6 ppl in it and a bunch of luggage you might need to bump up to 45 or 50 psi. The main thing is to not have the tires squat to much when loaded, that's when there is risk of failure. Just my take.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8

2 of the tires on my K20 were 285/75s. You sould be fine

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
As far as tire pressure is concerned, if your going to load it, or tow with it your going to want to be on the higher end of course depending on the amount of weight but 60 - 80 is reasonable for a heavy load. And you can run those pressures empty, but if you'd prefer a slightly softer ride there is no problem running them lower, I personally wouldn't want less than 35. Your right it is a rabbit hole. I run 50 in my front tires and 60 in the rear on my truck. I can haul an average load without having to think about needing to add air, but if I go for gravel or something like that they all get run to up to 70. So there is that, you can run a little less in the front if you prefer for your comfort. The down fall to larger tires and lower psi is sometimes a little more squirm out of the sidewalls. I'd suggest if your going to run empty or only light loads try a few different pressures until you get what you want, but remember if you run around 35, and suddenly put 6 ppl in it and a bunch of luggage you might need to bump up to 45 or 50 psi. The main thing is to not have the tires squat to much when loaded, that's when there is risk of failure. Just my take.
I need to make sure they put in high pressure stems too don’t I?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I need to make sure they put in high pressure stems too don’t I?
YES! Either the all metal type or the type that has a rubber base and a metal stem. I prefer the all metal but some folks like the combination type because there is some flexibility if they get hit by something.

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
YES! Either the all metal type or the type that has a rubber base and a metal stem. I prefer the all metal but some folks like the combination type because there is some flexibility if they get hit by something.
Thanks. Just never run pressures like this. My current Burb, and all my past ones were all 1/2 ton, so I was never running tires like this or had the payload this one does.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I'd only run them at 80 if you're super loaded down or towing. I've always run my E-range tires at ~40-50 up front and ~35-40 in the rear. I always play with it a little until I figure out what the truck likes best. Being a 'burb with extra weight out back compared to a pickup, I'd probably just do ~40-50 all around

imjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I'd only run them at 80 if you're super loaded down or towing. I've always run my E-range tires at ~40-50 up front and ~35-40 in the rear. I always play with it a little until I figure out what the truck likes best. Being a 'burb with extra weight out back compared to a pickup, I'd probably just do ~40-50 all around
That's what I figured I'd do. Run a chalk test and see how they are around 50 on all 4 and adjust from there. Then I'll drive and see how it feels tweak it at my stops along the way. By the time I get home I should have it dialed in.