Need exhaust ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I’ve posted these before, but never explained my thinking.

I went over the transfer case tail housing rather than under for a few reasons. One is heat rises. Two is that it makes R&R of transmission and TC easier. Three, i was concerned with condensation accumulating in the valley of the ‘V’ in a low velocity area of pipe.

Played around with several configurations before I welded it up. This routing offered the greatest ground clearance and tucked it up high with the fewest bends. Just two opposing shallow angles.

There are two isolator hangers/perches per crossmember for a total of 6. It isn’t going anywhere and can’t touch metal. If I need to remove it for any reason, I used clamps at the peak of the crossover. Unbolt that and the ball/socket collectors and each bank will slide out.

system consists of headman ‘black maxx’ ceramic coated headers with 3/8” solid flange, 12 gauge primaries and 3” ball/socket collectors. The pipe is 2-1/2 inch, as is the crossover and stainless borla proXS center in/center out non chambered mufflers. Painted the pipes and muffs with VHT black.
You must be registered for see images attach

There's ****** dirt on the frame, right my the tank/spring hanger.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I’ve posted these before, but never explained my thinking.

I went over the transfer case tail housing rather than under for a few reasons. One is heat rises. Two is that it makes R&R of transmission and TC easier. Three, i was concerned with condensation accumulating in the valley of the ‘V’ in a low velocity area of pipe.

Played around with several configurations before I welded it up. This routing offered the greatest ground clearance and tucked it up high with the fewest bends. Just two opposing shallow angles.

There are two isolator hangers/perches per crossmember for a total of 6. It isn’t going anywhere and can’t touch metal. If I need to remove it for any reason, I used clamps at the peak of the crossover. Unbolt that and the ball/socket collectors and each bank will slide out.

system consists of headman ‘black maxx’ ceramic coated headers with 3/8” solid flange, 12 gauge primaries and 3” ball/socket collectors. The pipe is 2-1/2 inch, as is the crossover and stainless borla proXS center in/center out non chambered mufflers. Painted the pipes and muffs with VHT black.

Is that a rubber fuel line about an inch away from your rust proof crossover?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Is that a rubber fuel line about an inch away from your rust proof crossover?
It looks like it in the pic. It’s about 4” away. I gave myself room to change my fuel filter. I checked it with my IR thermo. It doesn’t get hot.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
i had Hooker Aerochambers on my 54 3600, with a 350, they are excellent but not cheap, will be putting them on my 73 K20 here shortly as I am swapping in a 454, and want the 3" exhaust.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
i had Hooker Aerochambers on my 54 3600, with a 350, they are excellent but not cheap, will be putting them on my 73 K20 here shortly as I am swapping in a 454, and want the 3" exhaust.
Do they sound good on a 350? Ive wanted to switch but i like my rowdy flowmasters

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks for everyone’s input. After looking at my options, and more importantly my bank account, I’ve decided to go with thrush glass packs on my current setup. Amazon has ruined me when it comes to shipping cost and by the time I add that to any existing system, it all ends up being $300-500. My local O’reilly has thrush glass packs for $20-40 each, depending on length and size. So I’ll go with those and just make my old tailpipes work somehow. Should be in it for about $60, including clamps.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Thanks for everyone’s input. After looking at my options, and more importantly my bank account, I’ve decided to go with thrush glass packs on my current setup. Amazon has ruined me when it comes to shipping cost and by the time I add that to any existing system, it all ends up being $300-500. My local O’reilly has thrush glass packs for $20-40 each, depending on length and size. So I’ll go with those and just make my old tailpipes work somehow. Should be in it for about $60, including clamps.
You will be happy all the same. Let us know how you like it when you're complete.

clendon1

Reaction score
First Name
Butch
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
468 BB
My 76 C10 468 has Hooker comp long tube headers with Flomaster 40 series mufflers dual 3" exhaust that exits in front of 16" wide tires, awesome sound, easy to fabricate.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Sounds good as long as YOU like it. But what size pipes do you have again?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

lmao all that fightin and dude wants to spend 60 bucks !

total.
lmao:(

Do you know about Rule #62? @shiftpro ?
I sure have a lot of fun playin with you guys, dont get mad!
thanks for havin me.

awwwww.
:rolleyes:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My 76 C10 468 has Hooker comp long tube headers with Flomaster 40 series mufflers dual 3" exhaust that exits in front of 16" wide tires, awesome sound, easy to fabricate.
Pics!!!

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
lmao all that fightin and dude wants to spend 60 bucks !

total.
lmao:(

Do you know about Rule #62? @shiftpro ?
I sure have a lot of fun playin with you guys, dont get mad!
thanks for havin me.

awwwww.
:rolleyes:
Oh believe me I’d like to put an all new system under it. But I’ve got a family to provide for first. Plus other things I want to do to the truck, such as new speakers and shocks. None of this would even be a concern if one muffler hadn’t rusted out. So why not replace what needs to be replaced as reasonable as possible. After all, the rest of the system is ok.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406