Need exhaust ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well one of my 17 year old Flowmasters sprung a leak this week. Rust hole in the bottom. And I had to cut off my tailpipes last year to put my trailer hitch on. So I need to fix it all but I don’t know which route to take. I currently have true duals with Flowmaster 40 series American thunders. I stopped by a local shop today and he quoted $330 for new mufflers and pipes, but that seems high to me. I’m thinking about buying one of the pre made kits and going that route, I’m pretty sure they have OE style dual exhaust available. I have some long tube headers in the shop so I guess this would be a good time to put them on. I’m wanting to try something different than Flowmaster. Thought about Magnaflow or just glass packs. I’m not looking to spend several hundred dollars here. So what say y’all? Buy a generic system and install it myself? Find a new shop? Magnaflow? Cherry Bomb? Stay with Flowmaster? My only real stipulations are to stay with duals and have a side exit. Let the opinions fly lol. For those that don’t know, my truck is a stock 78 k10, 350 with no cats.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The Thrush mufflers that are on my truck sound pretty decent. Get compliments all the time on it. Can't say about price as they were on it when I bought it.

Exhaust pricing is just like everything else anymore and super dependent on location $330 in my area is pretty decent. I ended up paying $400 to get a set of long tube headers (that I had) installed and integrated in place of the stock manifolds. But I'd go that route again over any pre made system.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I’ve read good things about the hooker aero chambers but I’ve never heard any in person.

I bet a good part of that $300 was just the mufflers. The guy today quoted me $75 each for Flowmaster. I’d like to try something else since everyone here has them.

Also thinking about doing a side exit in front of the rear tires. Might be a little more trouble to route the pipes, especially with the gas tank. But it’ll be different, and I like different. Less pipe to buy too.

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I’ve read good things about the hooker aero chambers but I’ve never heard any in person.

I bet a good part of that $300 was just the mufflers. The guy today quoted me $75 each for Flowmaster. I’d like to try something else since everyone here has them.

Also thinking about doing a side exit in front of the rear tires. Might be a little more trouble to route the pipes, especially with the gas tank. But it’ll be different, and I like different. Less pipe to buy too.
I paid about $95 a piece. Mine arent all the way out in front of the wheel but i have them turned 90° and stop at the elbow. Its not to hard to route with dual tanks.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I'm watching this because I'm fixin to have to put on an exhaust on my truck when I swap the sbc for the BBC and all I have are long tubes.

I think I also want true dual and was thinking of having the pipes exit in front of the rear tires. I don't like the glass packs or cherry bombs tho. I had true dual with glass packs on my 75 GMC back in high school and I think I'd like a deeper sound than the glass packs. Cherry bombs are to poppy sounding for me. So I see what other people are getting and see.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My true duals are attatched to long tubes, i ran them straight back with an autozone hanger on each one bolted to an already drilled hole in one of the crossmembers. Super easy and quick. I never finished running them out from under the box because i was in a hurry and wanted it to be loud and roudy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
$330 from the headers to the back including muffs ain't that bad these days. There is a good muff out there that's as good as Flowmaster (I've heard 'em) and don't cost nearly as much. You're just paying for a stamped name on it.

I'd rather pay extra to have mandrel bent pipes.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
$330 from the headers to the back including muffs ain't that bad these days. There is a good muff out there that's as good as Flowmaster (I've heard 'em) and don't cost nearly as much. You're just paying for a stamped name on it.

I'd rather pay extra to have mandrel bent pipes.
He mentioned a type called Flowsound. He said they were a Flowmaster knock off but $50 each instead of $75. The price he quoted was with the cheaper mufflers. He also carries glass packs for about $25 each. Not sure which brand.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I was quoted $450.

Gotta hit a scratch-off!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I have Aerochambers on my stepside and love them. They are 3" duals on a big block. Before that, I also had Aerochambers but 2.25 duals behind a 305. Obviously, it's sounds a little different between the two sizes, but I think they both sound great. And you also get to sound different than everyone else.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have Aerochambers on my stepside and love them. They are 3" duals on a big block. Before that, I also had Aerochambers but 2.25 duals behind a 305. Obviously, it's sounds a little different between the two sizes, but I think they both sound great. And you also get to sound different than everyone else.
I need a vid clip! lol ive been pondering the flowmaster to aerochamber swap. How do they sound on a square?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’d agree that price doesn’t sound too bad. Mostly because I was quoted over $700 for duals over the rear axle with me supplying the mufflers. That was with crush bends. I ended up just welding it myself with Napa elbows.

Very few muffler places have mandrel benders anymore, but many pieces are available online for about $20 per bend. If I redo mine I’ll be patient and order the mandrel pieces.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I need a vid clip! lol ive been pondering the flowmaster to aerochamber swap. How do they sound on a square?

I've got a couple real short video clips on my phone, but it's just at idle. I also don't know how to put them on here, lol. I could text them though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg