Need destributor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnunger1001

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 1982 C10. It has a built 350. I want to upgrade the distributor system. The one on it now does not have a vacuum advance. There is tons that are for a sbc but what should I get? Also, I am kinda new to the older motors, Whats up with the vacuum advance? do I need one with it?

Thanks guys

johnunger1001

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
i ALSO WANT A BETTER CARB. I HAVE A HOLLEY 750 NOW AND IT HAS A BAD DEAD SPOT IN IT .

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
i just went on line and read all the crap..on distributors...and what i read..the
HEI is the best for street use..with the vacuum advance..some good ones at jegs--the distributors..with out the vacuum advance and with the boxes and the external coils..where you can set your degrees..and what ever else that it does..is great...if you are going too race the hell out of it..they were saying..for street use..save your money..just go with a good hei set up..set the timing and go..the distributors..fit the sb and bb motors.they interchange

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
i see on craigs list all the time.guys want to trade or sell off.there holleys
the 750 is too much for there motors..and are wasting gas..i all ways use..the edelbrock carbs..the 1406 with the electric choke..you can just crank and drive..and go..you cant beat it..if you got a big old race engine..sure you need a 750 holly..we had two on our race car..for the strip years ago..big time gas suckers...is what they are..they make them look all pretty and charge you a big old price-

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, I agree, go with an HEI. I have seen many on Ebay for $40 and come with brass terminal cap, rotor and 50K or 65K coil which is plenty for any mild street/strip enigne. And that if for Brand New units too. Many times, like someone did your carb, people spend a fortune on MSD or Mallory ingnition systems and they just aren't needed and making the improvment people THINK they are making.
I also agree the 750 is to much carb for a street small block. However, since you already have it, if you know someone good with carbs, have them rebuild it for you and maybe de jet it. Put smaller jets in it so it doesn't run so rich, save you some fuel and take advantage of the bigger 750cfm air. The motor will only use the air it can handle so no waste there. As far as the gas being wasting, just dejet it so it doesn't put so much gas into the mixture. Chances are if your carb has a flat spot, I'd be willing to bet its the power vavle. Very common in Holleys, one good backfire thru the intake, and it can trash the power valve. You get to it by removing the front float bowl screws, pull the bowl off and the metering block. The power valve is threaded into the metering block. Replace that part, put it back together and your problem is likley solved. Not sure now, but I think power valves are like $12-$15 or so.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I also agree, go with a basic vacuum advance type HEI dizzy. And just fix the holley too... a 750 is actually not too big at all if it's a vacuum secondary carb. I have one that I have run on a mild 327 and a mild 350 for years without troubles. Good power, no flat spots, and despite common belief, respectable fuel economy too. As long as you keep your foot out of it of course.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
i just assumed it was a big gas dumping double pumper..you can rejet and do the power valve.be away-to not have to put out money for a new carb..buy the edelbrock do the holly and sell it..

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
i think at jegs-new hei distributor is 89 dollars..and one fully loaded..129 i think

johnunger1001

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
on this holley power valve, What size do I need. I have a built 350 with a good size cam. This is a truck I am driving on the street and at the drag strip. I dont care about gas milage. I just want power I have a Holley 750 with vacuum sec. not a double pumper

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody