AC Confusion-Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
Afternoon/Evening everyone,

I havea 74 c10. Rebuilt the Small Block 350 and changed it to a vbelt kit for style points. Also changed the ac compressor to the B series or, shallow/round unit and relocated it from the driver to the passenger side. Here is where the problems began. I didn't buy a kit that had all the hoses needed to get everything back to where it needed to be originally. We are having issues figuring out how to attack this new problem. I already have new condenser on the way that is the same as the original that was in it 35 years ago, this new compressor has us with a short line running to the driver side to connect to the condenser. What hose do I need to get, or do I simply make a steel extension to go from the condenser to the needed area of connection. Would that cause a pressure issue. And if I need to attach a diagram I am working on one now. Please help.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Afternoon/Evening everyone,

I havea 74 c10. Rebuilt the Small Block 350 and changed it to a vbelt kit for style points. Also changed the ac compressor to the B series or, shallow/round unit and relocated it from the driver to the passenger side. Here is where the problems began. I didn't buy a kit that had all the hoses needed to get everything back to where it needed to be originally. We are having issues figuring out how to attack this new problem. I already have new condenser on the way that is the same as the original that was in it 35 years ago, this new compressor has us with a short line running to the driver side to connect to the condenser. What hose do I need to get, or do I simply make a steel extension to go from the condenser to the needed area of connection. Would that cause a pressure issue. And if I need to attach a diagram I am working on one now. Please help.
Did it originally have one of the long A-4 compressors? Why did you switch to a passenger side mounting?

You will likely need to get a hose kit from one of the companies like Vintage air and then have a local hydraulic hose company crimp the end fittings on them once you have cut the hoses to the right length.

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Untitled drawing.jpg
    Untitled drawing.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
Did it originally have one of the long A-4 compressors? Why did you switch to a passenger side mounting?

You will likely need to get a hose kit from one of the companies like Vintage air and then have a local hydraulic hose company crimp the end fittings on them once you have cut the hoses to the right length.
I believe it did, but me being excited and not checking ANYTHING, I thought this was going to be an easier process going with a new one. Here I am now, a year in on a 6 month project and beginning to hate it lol.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I believe it did, but me being excited and not checking ANYTHING, I thought this was going to be an easier process going with a new one. Here I am now, a year in on a 6 month project and beginning to hate it lol.
Yep, you should have kept that. You can buy brand new manifold/lines for the A4 and everything would have bolted up just like stock. You can get rebuild kits for the compressor for about $25 and it's pretty easy to do. If you still have it, I'd go back to the stock setup and stop worrying about this custom mess.

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
Yep, you should have kept that. You can buy brand new manifold/lines for the A4 and everything would have bolted up just like stock. You can get rebuild kits for the compressor for about $25 and it's pretty easy to do. If you still have it, I'd go back to the stock setup and stop worrying about this custom mess.
Yeah, unfortunately, its gone. So could I use a steel line adapter to get me that extra foot needed or do I need to do a kit and do it that way.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
sounds like its a custom job all the way man..your gunna have to cut hoses and have the ends crimped on.......

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The big compressor in the picture is the long, heavy A6, and the smaller pancake compressor is the R4. Both are generally not too reliable.

I’ve never seen the compressor mounted on a squarebody on the passenger side. Where is the alternator mounted?

Extending the compressor lines should not cause problems. However, getting the right ends on all the fittings can be a challenge because most use o-rings, but there may be some variations. There is an A/C supply house in Phoenix (Ackits.com) and one in Fort Worth (oldairproducts.com) that probably have everything you need.

On a ‘74 you also probably have a TXV (thermal expansion valve) instead of a simple orifice valve with cycling compressor. I’ve never seen a TXV in the wild, since in ‘75 (my truck) they switched to using an orifice valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag