Need help settling a debate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meatbag

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc serria grande
Engine Size
400 sbc
So I'm driving my plow truck, notice my brakes are weak as f, then driving up hill it starts backfiring like crazy, almost didn't make it. Unfortunately I'm working with my father on this project. So I figured the brake booster went to crap and it caused a massive vaccum leak, like diaphragm ripped or something. I switched brake booster and same symptoms, I figured it was a vaccum leak. hooked up vaccum gauge, looked like it had plenty of vaccum,. I still sprayed wd 40 to check and pulled carb to put new gaskets. Couldn't find a leak. So I said it has to be a vaccum leak, and that it's probably on the rear of the intake manifold. He's saying it can't be, because it has plenty of vaccum. So is it a vaccum leak or something else.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
What was 'plenty of vacuum' in a number form? Where did you connect the vac gauge or what port? and did you disconnect and block the vapor canister?

I'd make sure your testing it properly and get us a number.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
What @squaredeal91 said. Then check the internals.

Need to check the basics, cylinder compression, leak down test. Your symptoms could be a wiped cam. Pull a valve cover, are all the valves moving the same amount?

How many miles on the engine?

meatbag

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc serria grande
Engine Size
400 sbc
What was 'plenty of vacuum' in a number form? Where did you connect the vac gauge or what port? and did you disconnect and block the vapor canister?

I'd make sure your testing it properly and get us a number.
It's between 18 and 20

meatbag

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc serria grande
Engine Size
400 sbc
Auto trans? If so, check the modulator. Mine was t-d into the vacuum system and went bad and caused similar issue.
Interesting I'll look into that. I was thinking about throwing a inline check valve to the brake booster line, might help

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If it's an HEI, could it be the ignition module (not related to any brake issue) ?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Check the wires on the pickup coil. The constant back and forth movement of the vacuum advance will bend the tiny wires and cause intermittent no spark. The engine will continue to run, just load up cylinder’s with fuel. When spark is returned the fuel ignites with a bang.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef