mystery dome light circuit plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500 3+3
Engine Size
454, nv4500, 205, 4.56 rp
Crew cab drivers B pillar down low. Orange and white wires. What's it plug into? Or am I missing another section or harness and if so where does it go?. Right now the dumb ass has speaker wire running up to the DL on a stand alone courtesy light circuit directly the battery with no fuses..

Trying to fix everything p.o. hacked up and put the truck back factory.

Attachments

• IMG_20140907_132411_292.jpg
    IMG_20140907_132411_292.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 712

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you don't have a cargo light, I'd say that was probably the original dome light harness. It would've been part of the circuit that also lit up the bulbs under the dash.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't know too much about 1988's, but if the truck is like 87 and down, then that is half of the harness connector for the combined dome/cargo light system.

If the wires that are connected to it run up into the pillar, you should look under the floor covering (along the outside of the seat) for the for the feed from the fuse block. It will have the same colored wires and a similar type harness connector.

If the wires that connect to the end that you are holding in your hand come from under the floor covering, then that is the feed from the fuse block to the dome/cargo lighting circuit. Fish around up in the pillar for the wires that run up to the cargo light switch, cargo light assembly and dome lights.

Not much help I know. But probably someone that is more familiar with this class of trucks will be able to provide a better response - especially if you can provide more details about this area of the truck's lighting system. For example - Cargo light? One or two dome lights? Overhead console?

slowgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500 3+3
Engine Size
:whymewhyme:Sorry for the lack of detail Its got one domelight. The cargo light and cargo Iight harness are intact. The orange and white wire running down the floorboard of the driver side from the fuse box heads up the b pillar to the cargo light switch, comes back down and goes to the back of the truck up the c pillar to the cargo light, this plug splits off of the cargo light harness at the bottom the B piller...

I'm pretty sure this is where the harness for the domelight would connect and head up to the center of the truck but where I'm lost is because the connector comes down from the main harness not up from the fuse box...I don't have a battery In the truck which sucks for trouble shooting.. Got Optima Redtop to put in tomorrow...it had a golf cart battery in it when I bought it:whymewhyme:

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Let me see if I can find an image showing the actual physical wiring layout (not a schematic) for that circuit in a crew cab.

Crew cab -is that 4 doors or just 2 doors with a back seat? I get crew cab and extended cab mixed up.

Here:

You must be registered for see images attach

slowgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500 3+3
Engine Size
Let me see if I can find an image showing the actual physical wiring layout (not a schematic) for that circuit in a crew cab.

Crew cab -is that 4 doors or just 2 doors with a back seat? I get crew cab and extended cab mixed up.

Here:

Hey thank you very much that's a really good piece of information where would I find more stuff like that is that straight out of the factory service manual ? According to the picture you posted the only piece I'm missing is the harness that goes from the b pillar up the to center of the she'll to the domelight. I'm glad my cargo light is intact still

To answer your question crew cab is four-door. Two bench seats typically

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
1988 R/V 3500 dome and cargo lighting wiring diagrams:

And other views of the harness layout:

Last edited:

slowgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500 3+3
Engine Size
Thanks a bunch those will come in handy

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for those also.. I'm just wiring in my cargo light today.. This was a big help.. I needed to confirm i was doing it right..

Rye+ wiring and power mix right??? hahahaha

With any luck i wont burn my truck up..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20