wiring to glove compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Bring your lunch and a pillow to, this is long. Sorry.
I had put a mini LED in my glove comp't because my truck didn't come with one, and I got tired of having to find my flashlight to look for something in my glove comp't at night. I found these mini LED lights years ago wandering around in Advance Auto Parts one day. Since those kind of lights have been removed from stores when the "ground affects lights" were outlawed around here by city ordinance ( they were causing wreaks due to passers-by oogling at the cool colors). So all that kind are now gone except for the tinyest useless interior lights you can still buy. So, I feel I was lucky in that I actually bought something I didn't know I would ever use, but would like some kind of low level interior light while driving at night preferably Red for enhancing night vision. A aircraft thing you know.

But the problem I was having is the wire I first chose was the White wire that feeds the door jam switches. That worked fine at night until I turned on the floor light (courtesy light) and found out that the headlight switch cuts out power to the White door jam wire with the doors closed, even since the jam switch is unmade with the door closed, and my glove comp't light wouldn't come on at night, if I turned on the floor light at the same time. But at night if I just opened the glove comp't the light would come on, which was fine. But if I'm parked and have the floor light off and might want in the glove comp't, I'd have a light.

I realized I needed a wire that would supply power to my glove comp't light any time no matter what was on, and since it's LED it didn't matter if it came on for a couple of minutes during the day, it would be a long time before I needed another light bulb. The LED interior lights I bought from Advance Auto came ready made from the mfg. with both power and gnd. wire made together in a pair of wires about four feet long with a black wire and a black wire with a white stripe soldered to the prongs of the LED and covered with shrink wrap at the base of the LED bulb. The lights I bought were all the colors they had, i.e. blue, white, red, green, and a pack of some yellow ones just in case, lol. I did find them on line on Ebay but they may be found elsewhere I guess. There were four lights per pack which was a pretty good deal for what they cost which was about 4 or 5 dollars back in 1995.

But for some reason when I got back to this little project the other day the gnd. wire had come off the LED. That was cool because I planned on re-routing it to the orange wire at the floor light which was 12v all the time. I had the grd. wire rigged up on the catch of the glove comp't that hangs on a lip, that stops the glove comp't, on the dash made for this purpose. I pop riveted a piece of alum. there on the comp't catch and attached the gnd. wire to it. It was as so that when you opened the glove comp't and the catch caught the comp't on that lip on the dash it would contact that gnd. and the light would come on. Simple.

So in making the thing up in it's new position I found the orange wire was dead! How could it be dead and the floor light still come on? After some serious study of the schematic I discovered that all the lamps and lights in the cab have no ground wire on them, it comes from inside the headlight switch. There is the orange wire and the white wire attached to each one that's it! How could the lights work without a gnd. wire. Well, a light doesn't know it doesn't need a ground. All it knows is there is power going through the filament and when that happens it glows light. And that's what is happening at the floor light. Power is traveling through the white wire to the filament and it glows when you put on the headlight switch for interior lighting. If you look up at the dome light there are two wires, one white, and one orange. Ever wonder why a chrome plated piece of plastic gets gnd. It doesn't, it's the current traveling through the filament that lights it up. One wire goes to the base, and the other goes through the body completing the circuit. So that's how the floor light was coming on when the orange wire was dead. The 12v was just going through the bulb lighting it up when I put the courtesy light switch on.

So, why didn't the orange wire have power? What's one of the first things you do when there's no power? Check fuses! Well, heck I didn't do that. Checking the fuse was the last thing I did. No matter, I did find a blown fuse that did go to the orange wire according to the schematic. Great, it ought to work now. NOPE! Still dead. What I did was I got suspicious of a good fuse and that's what lead me to replace all those fuses in that row, even the one I fished out of the glove comp't, that had been in there forever, I had just put in to replace the blown one. All fed by a 12v battery wire coming right off the fusible link on the firewall in the engine comp't.

Well, let me ask you all something, how long have those fuses been in your fuse block? I found one of those 20amp, 12v fuses had been in the fuse block for so long I had to break it to get the dang thing out of there. And I almost broke another one it was so tight! They're not supposed to be that tight. You should be able to get a glass fuse out with one of those yellow plastic tools you use to take glass fuses out with. Just put it in there and pull---pop it comes right out. Maybe one end will come out first but generally it should come right out. But I had to pry them out with a little screw driver! All three! So I scraped the contacts a bit to scrub off any corrosion and then put three new fuses in. Guess what?? The orange wire has power and my little glove comp't light works now. I just need to finish re-doing the routing and resolder the wires, one to the orange wire, and re-do the gnd. wire, all I tested and all work now.

So, if you have strange intermittent electrical problems, or no power with a good fuse in the holder, pop a new fuse in and it just might be the remedy. Especially if your fuses have been in the fuse block as long as some of mine have been. What I found was some of those fuses have been in that block since the truck rolled off the showroom floor in November 1973!!! When I rebuilt the truck in '95 I didn't replace any of the ones that didn't need replacing. I just left them in, they weren't causing any problem. Like, I guess, every ten or fifteen years change out all the fuses, or at least pull them and clean the contacts with some scotch bright, or electrical contact cleaner, and check the fuse ends they might be corroded to. See, I thought it was a wiring problem. I'd still be looking for a bad wire somewhere had I not found that blown fuse, and found how hard it was to get the others out to.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
At least here are some pics to look at while you're reading that book above.
You must be registered for see images attach
These are the LED lights I found at Advance Auto Parts. They're good lights. Made by "Alten". Whoever. I originally bought these to put in computer cases I was modding. You know there was this craze back in the '90's where people were modifying computer cases to give them the wildest look you've ever seen. I got into it for my own use and since then all my computers have lighting all in them, colored lights in fans and all that crazy stuff. I really like it a lot. Go on line and type in "computer mods" and look at the crazy stuff some people were doing back then.
I believe it's a 3/16" hole that these lights fit tightly, which is good.
Backside. Bottom wire is the power and top wire is gnd. This is still in process of getting done like I want it.
Here's the original ground. Right where the glove comp't hits this part of the comp't comes in contact with the dash to stop the comp't opening. I'm pretty sure many of yours are like mine. You can see where I put a ring connector onto the ground wire and it to the alum. piece I pop riveted to the comp't stop. When the comp't stop hits the dash, it makes ground against the metal edge there.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
And more.
This is what it looks like when your soldering iron gets out of control! Ha, ha, ha, ha! I did not mean to do this, I promise you. It's the soldering iron's fault, it was trying to burn the heck out of me and we had a wrestling match going on. And then to, every time I tried to "tin" the place I cut out of the orange wire the stupid thing would creep back up under the dash. It was like I was chasing it around!
This is the screw that attaches the floor light to the bottom of the dash. I thought this would be a good ground. I may try to put the ring connector on the screw behind the dash so it can't be seen. I was putting it on last night to test if this would be a good place to ground. It wasn't working so I never got to see. I'll try again tomorrow now that the orange wire is working. That little black/white wire, it's just hanging there, is the power wire for that LED. You notice it's split away with the ground wire (blue insulator to it). I may use it here and remove the glove comp't ground I riveted. I'd have to fill in the rivet holes with something. Or just leave it, you can't really see it much.
I stuck my test light right into the cigarette lighter connector and had no power. I knew that it had to be a fuse after I had no power here.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I cleaned up that nasty looking orange wire today and did some more testing and found that the LED that was in there was a bad LED. I threw it away, and boy does that urk me to have to do that. I'm always trying to resurrect things that are hopelessly gone. I do it to plants I find people have thrown out, dead. I can bring them back to life. "Green thumb"? I need whatever color getting dead electrical things back to life would be, but I threw the dead thing in the trash.
Anyway, I got another one from one of the extra White light sets in the pics above and tested it and it lit right up. I wired it in and it worked fine. I did stay with the ground connection I have up there on the edge of the glove comp't..

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Pictures of glove compartment light.
In the above pic it looks blue but it is white. I have a couple of work lights on in the truck and I turned them off so you can see how bright it is. I've got so much stuff in my glove compartment, as I'm sure many here do, but that light is plenty bright to be able to find anything.
In the above pic I turned the work lights back on so you can see the ground wire going up to that tab on the glove box, and I just tucked the wires back there where that white power wire is. Nothing goes in this space where the light is outside the box so I just left them stuck back in there. I'm not going to bother with securing them, they're not going anywhere.
You can see how clean that orange wire is, and I laid the light power wire next to it and put some electrical tape on it. That's good enough, and it's not going anywhere either because it's attached to the courtesy light fixture and it's screwed to the dash.
It's plenty bright enough even with the work light on.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver, @AuroraGirl, @Bextreme04,

Look at that old decal on the back of the glove compartment door in the above picture. Just in front of my spiral note pads, not the one that's on that space on top of that open flat place, that talks about the fuel requirements, no, the door part just in front of the note pads. What decal is that supposed to be?? It's so faded and streded that I can't tell what it's supposed to be. What's on your truck glove compartment door? I have heard ya'll talking about a data(?) "plate" what is it that's supposed to be in the glove compartment? Is this it? It's unreadable so I can't tell what it says.
My truck may be hot rodded up but I retained a lot of the original decals/stickers that came with the truck. I purposely kept the sticker up on the radiator support that codes the truck and talks about how to adjust the timing with points for both manual and automatic transmissions. I thought it was so cool because it says to use 91 octane fuel---regular! Boy I miss those days of only two styles of gas, regular, and premium. Regular was 91 or higher and premium was 102-106 octane.

Last edited:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver, @AuroraGirl, @Bextreme04,

Look at that old decal on the back of the glove compartment door In the above picture, just in fron of my spiral note pads. What decal is that supposed to be?? It's so faded and streded that I can't tell what it's supposed to be. What's on your truck glove compartment door? I have heard ya'll talking about a data(?) "plate" what is it that's supposed to be in the glove compartment? Is this it?

Mine is a sticker in the deep part of the glove box.

Not sure what that might have been.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

I found out what it was, over on the "'73-'87" (something about Chevy trucks) forum I stumbled across while Googling it. It's called a "SPID" sticker. It tells the stuff on the truck. What do ya'll call it, a "plastic plate" or something like that?? Does that name sound familiar? Can you think of anything that it might be called that's close to that? I'll try to see if I can read what I can tomorrow, I still have a bunch of little bitty work I'm trying to do on the truck. More electrical work. I'm going to look at installing some interior lighting that I can turn on by a switch at night that will put Red light on the floor. If it's to bright I'll look at maybe finding a little rheostat I can wire it into. So I'll take a look at that sticker while I'm fooling around tomorrow.
Also, I'll take a picture of that other sticker that's in good shape that's on there. If I'm not mistaken I think it has something to do with fuel requirements.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@Goldie Driver,

I found out what it was, over on the "'73-'87" (something about Chevy trucks) forum I stumbled across while Googling it. It's called a "SPID" sticker. It tells the stuff on the truck. What do ya'll call it, a "plastic plate" or something like that?? Does that name sound familiar? Can you think of anything that it might be called that's close to that? I'll try to see if I can read what I can tomorrow, I still have a bunch of little bitty work I'm trying to do on the truck. More electrical work. I'm going to look at installing some interior lighting that I can turn on by a switch at night that will put Red light on the floor. If it's to bright I'll look at maybe finding a little rheostat I can wire it into. So I'll take a look at that sticker while I'm fooling around tomorrow.
Also, I'll take a picture of that other sticker that's in good shape that's on there. If I'm not mistaken I think it has something to do with fuel requirements.
Service parts identification label.

That’s the laminated card that is 4x3 or so and has blue upper header area or so and then 2 white columns with printed text with rpo codes to the left of the two text columns.

The text explain the options.

There might be other stuff in the glovebox. The three I have the doors of contain nothing else presently on them. Nothing sticky wise. My spid had adhesive and wsd originally in my glove box.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

Yeah. But I saw images of what you're talking about on the internet and this is not that big.
In the pic above you can see that the vin number is on there and I looked very closely at what I could see and it says something about "cargo weight" and it has the year of mfg., 1973 (the truck was bought in Nov. of '73 which would be the new model year 1974, so it's a '74 truck). And there are some other letters as you can see. It says other things but only letters here and letters there and I can't tell what else it says. But you get the idea. I didn't take this pic of the rest of it because it's just more jumbled up randome letters and you can't tell what it's saying.
In the pic above this label is about the unleaded fuel use. It says to only use unleaded or low lead fuel with the #2 symbol. You can read what it says.
And this is the layout of the labels. So you can see that there's not enough room for that bigger label you were talking about. I found the build sheet behind the seat when the interior was being redone. My upholdsterer kept it for me and it was in perfect shape. I have it with my other truck records.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't ever remember it being more than what you see. Otherwise I would have kept it protected better. It's always been like this. There may have been more but I don't know what happened to it. I do know I didn't tear any of it off years ago. I really don't use the glove comp't that much anyway.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i know what label youre talking about now, i have a picture somewhere let me look of a more complete one

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
im 70% its this information just in the early 70s

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@Raider L
TRUCK-CAMPER LOADING
INFORMATION
YOUR
VEHICLE'S
LOADING INFORMATION IS LOCATED ON A LABEL
AFFIXED TO THE INSIDE OF THE GLOVE BOX DOOR ON
THE LEFT SIDE. THIS INFORMATION WILL HELP YOU
REDUCE
OVERLOADING
DISTRIBUTION IN TRUCK-CAMPER COMBINATIONS. IT
WILL ALSO HELP OBTAIN A PROPER PICKUP TRUCK AND
SLIDE-IN CAMPER MATCH.
When the truck is used to carry a slide-in camper, the total cargo load
of the truck consists of:

the manufacturer's camper weight figure,

the weight of installed additional camper equipment not included
in the manufacturer's camper weight figure,

the weight of camper cargo, and

the weight of passengers in the camper.
The total cargo load should not exceed the truck's cargo weight rating;
and the camper's center of gravity should fall within the truck's
r�ommended cargo center of gravity zone when installed.

from an owners manual

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8