MY6 clutch.. which size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
350, Vortec Heads, Hi-rise intake, long tube headers, BIG bump stick
Just finished putting in a new clutch and pressure plate. Didn't bother with the flywheel as the one in there was clean, looked like it had been resurfaced within the last millenium.

I was able to just slide the bellhousing off the z-bar / bell crank / cross bar whatever the official nomenclature is (I've seen all 3 listed). Definitely going to call LMC and confirm if the z-bar they have listed includes both ball studs, and if so, order it up. It's functional as it was before, but definitely ugly.

All in all, considering I had a trolley jack, some cheapy stands and a 1500lb motorcycle jack to catch the tranny, done in my dirt driveway, mostly after dark, I'm happy with the way it all came about.

Next up, I really, really need to rebuild the shifter (well, really the whole tranny) to make it ride real nice. And I need to climb back under and adjust the clutch some more, it's catching towards the bottom of the pedal, but the adjuster is set way out... and of course it's pouring now. Maybe a beer first...:party36:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Just finished putting in a new clutch and pressure plate. Didn't bother with the flywheel as the one in there was clean, looked like it had been resurfaced within the last millenium.

I was able to just slide the bellhousing off the z-bar / bell crank / cross bar whatever the official nomenclature is (I've seen all 3 listed). Definitely going to call LMC and confirm if the z-bar they have listed includes both ball studs, and if so, order it up. It's functional as it was before, but definitely ugly.

All in all, considering I had a trolley jack, some cheapy stands and a 1500lb motorcycle jack to catch the tranny, done in my dirt driveway, mostly after dark, I'm happy with the way it all came about.

Next up, I really, really need to rebuild the shifter (well, really the whole tranny) to make it ride real nice. And I need to climb back under and adjust the clutch some more, it's catching towards the bottom of the pedal, but the adjuster is set way out... and of course it's pouring now. Maybe a beer first...:party36:

That's good news! glad it worked out!

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
I'm getting a bit of an odd behavior from my tranny lately;

About 1/3 of the time, when I put the truck in reverse, it backs up nice, but when I go to put it into 1st gear, it doesn't come out of reverse properly, and the only gear I can "find" is 3rd, but actually is still reverse if I let out the clutch. Then I can go to 4th (OD), and from there into 1st fine. All other shifting while driving is fine and normal (as normal as you can with a dog tired shifter).

Any thoughts? Does anyone have a good picture of an MY6 / A883 from the side with the shifter attached. I've seen the shift rods connected in about a brazilion different ways, wondering if I have something hooked up wrong.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I bet slop in the shifter or linkage is leaving it in reverse and/or the other two levers are missaligned. Does it have the little bushings in all the levers where the rods connect? I had a 4spd saginaw that had the same problem. I replaced all the bushings with bronze ones and realigned the shifter using a pin through it. It worked much better after that. I took the shifter apart later and replaced all the little shims to complete the repair. It shifted nice and tight after that. And I could grab the gears much quicker too!

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
I bet slop in the shifter or linkage is leaving it in reverse and/or the other two levers are missaligned. Does it have the little bushings in all the levers where the rods connect? I had a 4spd saginaw that had the same problem. I replaced all the bushings with bronze ones and realigned the shifter using a pin through it. It worked much better after that. I took the shifter apart later and replaced all the little shims to complete the repair. It shifted nice and tight after that. And I could grab the gears much quicker too!

I guess you'd call them bushings, but yeah, each shift rod has the metal "tab" that is attached to the tranny with the nuts. Each of those is present and seem to be secure without excessive slop or play. I'm wondering if maybe I "reversed" a tab (installed pointing up vs. down) when I reinstalled the shifter / shift rods?

I was smart enough to take a couple photos of how the shifter looked installed prior... so I get points for that right? The OTHER half of that prep work you need to do before tackling a job like this... check that you can actually SEE the parts clearly or your greasy finger hasn't smeared the camera lens on your phone. :whymewhyme::bawl:

In other words kids... when starting a project, take before photos, CHECK said photos actually show the before, THEN proceed with the removal!

I know this shifter needs a rebuild.. that's coming, but I lean more toward incorrect installation as it never exhibited this before the clutch job. I unbolted the shifter from the tranny, but never opened the shifter itsef so I don't think much could have changed.

Also... what do you mean by "realigned the shifter using a pin through it"? Is there an alignment / adjustment procedure to installing those?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If you installed an arm backwards the gears would be in different locations unless they are straight and not offset then technicly you could get them wrong if the slot is not paralell with the arm. Alignment is done witha 1/4" rod through the shifter as seen in the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 124

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I need to be in on this thread. So what size clutch did you end up having. Believe it or not, in I think it was an 87 GM Service Manual I seen, it said the A833 got the 12in and the SM465 got the 11in. I was a bit surprised at that myself. It's only C10/C1500s with 305, Inline 6 and V6 that got the A833. It was not put behind 350's 400's or Big Blocks.

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
I need to be in on this thread. So what size clutch did you end up having. Believe it or not, in I think it was an 87 GM Service Manual I seen, it said the A833 got the 12in and the SM465 got the 11in. I was a bit surprised at that myself. It's only C10/C1500s with 305, Inline 6 and V6 that got the A833. It was not put behind 350's 400's or Big Blocks.
I'm fairly certain it was an 11" plate that went in, but I'd have to check my paperwork. I can't remember where I read it ( probably one of your posts!), that the 2wd got 11's and the 4wd got the 12's?

I'd be real interested in reading the manual on how to install and adjust from scratch. I also need to find your shifter rebuild thread

Sent from my DashPad via SmokeSignals

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk