Minimalist harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I worked as an electronics tech back in the day, and have installed several wiring harnesses over the years, but my base 82 C10 was the most difficult. I used AAW's Power Plus 20 "universal" kit, which needed lots of mods to work on the truck. The only positive thing was it used GM color codes and some GM connectors. One of the pains was determining which wires went to the terminals on the instrument panel connector, because there are at least 3 different instrument panel configurations. But there were lots more pains, even something that sounds simple like making connections to the windshield wiper/washer.

Bottom line is it's not a trivial job, especially with a universal kit. If I had a do-over, I'd get an AAW or Painless kit designed specifically for my truck (which is what I'm doing on my 69 C10). Even if you do that, you will need to get a crimper tool for the Delphi-type terminals that crimp the wire and the insulation simultaneously, and practice, practice, practice crimping and soldering.

Photo #1 & #4 -- The universal kits run the wires through the firewall, instead of using plug-in connectors. A real pain, IMO.
Photo #2 -- My new instrument panel connector sold by Ron Francis. My truck had idiot lamps.
Photo #3 -- I fed the stud with #8 wire, and then sent #10 wires to the battery bus and ignition switch. Fuse panel is mounted with stand-offs to allow more room for the wires running inside and through the firewall.
Photo #5 -- I used #8 wires and a 100 amp maxi-fuse for the charging circuit and fuse panel feed.

Attachments

• IMG_3845.JPG
    IMG_3845.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-3840.JPG
    IMG-3840.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4086.jpg
    IMG_4086.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 50
  • wires thru firewall.JPG
    wires thru firewall.JPG