Manifolds or headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ummmmm...headers...DUUUUH !!

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Another thing to consider is the later model (like 86 and up?) factory manifolds, which are header-like, but still have all the advantages of a stock manifold.

This is what i run (minus the A.I.R. line which i've removed):
You must be registered for see images attach

The v-8 manifolds are also going in the direction of header-like. (85 and up Corvettes, 86/87 and later trucks)

i've run headers on the street and prefer manifolds for a number of reasons, the main is noise, but also heat and leakage......

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Another thing to consider is the later model (like 86 and up?) factory manifolds, which are header-like, but still have all the advantages of a stock manifold.

This is what i run (minus the A.I.R. line which i've removed):

The v-8 manifolds are also going in the direction of header-like. (85 and up Corvettes, 86/87 and later trucks)

i've run headers on the street and prefer manifolds for a number of reasons, the main is noise, but also heat and leakage......

Not all the v8 trucks got the tube style manifold. @HotRodPC knows which trucks did. he's been searching for one side to make a complete set. I can't recall what triggered the trucks getting them, but know that the ones that came out of my '87 3/4 silverado had the normal cast manifold. Seems like it was a 2 year deal, now that I think about it, something like '85 plus or minus a year.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
My LS swap headers originally came with those tribolt collector clamps and I remembered how often I had to tighten the bolts and replace gaskets on my old Blackjack headers (back before MLS style collector gaskets existed on my old 77 Jimmy) and after thinking about it bought a couple of Vband clamps and TIG'd them on and have no regrets about doing so, plus no need for gaskets moving forward!!! I'm still building out the rest of the truck, and going to dump into a single 3 inch pipe with a big Dynomax drone free muffler, but when I do complete it I'll probably make a Y crossover pipe with a V band clamp (for easy removal when necessary) and then after the y pipe just use the compression clamps that seal pipe to pipe all the way out back.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
V bands are like the best thing ever invented lol.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
For ease of removal and install yes, but a semi rigid connection for collectors is better.

I am probably going to use some of those flex connectors welded to the end of the collector piece with the Vband on it, then use either a band clamp or Vband in the center of where the right bank will come across to meet the other side of the Y pipe. I gotta figure out the mechanics of it at some point but right now it's kind of on hold until I get the house build done and am moved in (and more or less organized again. I'm also trying to find one of the newer style 4l60E to go in my truck that has the complete surround bellhousing but that is down the road a littlet ways....

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On small block Chevys with standard port sizes, I use Fel Pro 1444 steel core gaskets at the cylinder head with ARP bolts with 3/8" heads (for easier access by a wrench). At the collectors I use Summit aluminum gaskets with grade 8 bolts, nuts, and lock washers. I typically check the torque on the header flange bolts after the engine has run for a few hours, and then I'm done. I have even re-used both the header flange and collector gaskets.

Here's some info on the Fel Pro 1444: "...made from high-temperature, high-density fiber material around a perforated steel core, for durability and heat resistance."

And that's not hype, because they work well and last for many years. In fact, if one ever fails, it's probably because it was not properly sized or shaped for the header or cylinder head ports.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85