MagnaFlow vs Flowmaster vs Straight Pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I never really wanted loud but the Chevelle really needs a better exhaust. It isn't quiet but not really loud either. Level is just about right but something is off so I think it needs an H or X pipe. If it works out ok I'll set the GMC up the same way.
Well, this setup is gonna give you that low pitched annoying noise, that I love so much. Just curious- whats on the Chevelle now? What exactly dont you like about the sound?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I vote whistle tips. I’m working on whistle tipping everything I own. Tha whistle goes woooooooo. Gives it that Amtrak exhaust note. Improves scavenging too, win-win.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Well, this setup is gonna give you that low pitched annoying noise, that I love so much. Just curious- whats on the Chevelle now? What exactly dont you like about the sound?
True duals with turbo mufflers on exhaust manifolds. It really isn't bad but you always have to do something, right?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
True duals with turbo mufflers on exhaust manifolds. It really isn't bad but you always have to do something, right?
Lmao. Yeah, it's that need to do something, that always gets me in trouble. I've got nothing for you on the exhaust. I have zero experience with stock manifolds....

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Lmao. Yeah, it's that need to do something, that always gets me in trouble. I've got nothing for you on the exhaust. I have zero experience with stock manifolds....
Maybe, just maybe, it is time for those to go too.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Maybe, just maybe, it is time for those to go too.
Well, only you can decide that. Headers were the first thing I put on my POS truck, but you know what- I did save the manifolds and heat riser.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Well, only you can decide that. Headers were the first thing I put on my POS truck, but you know what- I did save the manifolds and heat riser.
My truck has long tube headers with warped flanges and duals with turbo mufflers. It is definitely getting changed out. I am not sure what kind of exhaust guys you have there in OR but the guy who did mine was not much of a craftsman.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My truck has long tube headers with warped flanges and duals with turbo mufflers. It is definitely getting changed out. I am not sure what kind of exhaust guys you have there in OR but the guy who did mine was not much of a craftsman.
The one great one that I have used was Cherry at Maxim Muffler on Portland Road. He passed away quite a few years ago, and his kid and wife kept the shop running. Just not the same quality anymore, so I don't really have an option out here for you... I can ask around though. Just if your're thinking of that....

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
The one great one that I have used was Cherry at Maxim Muffler on Portland Road. He passed away quite a few years ago, and his kid and wife kept the shop running. Just not the same quality anymore, so I don't really have an option out here for you... I can ask around though. Just if your're thinking of that....
I was saying that because somewhere out there did the exhaust on my truck and they aren't symmetrical. I'm not sure how you even get them off as far as they did.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
@87silveradok20 . So you want a loud drone noise? Simple, and I have ran it for years. Run a 3 foot straight pipe off of each header collector. Next, put on the CHEAPEST turbo mufflers you can find. Not a glass pack. Not a cherry bomb. Nothing similar to a Flowmaster. Regular muffler looking, 20-30 each, 2 1/2" "turbo" mufflers. You are done.

As a side note- if you put turn downs on the mufflers, then you can charge places for cleaning their parking lot; just by driving through them. **** will be flying EVERYWHERE.

I've run this setup for years, because it's what I like; and it's cheap as hell.

***BTW- this only works if you have long tube headers. Even cheap ass ones.***
I don’t have headers but I might still try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Last edited:

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Get the headers first....

Do it all in one shot.

It wont work without headers.
Well then I may have to wait until I can afford headers

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well then I may have to wait until I can afford headers

If you can continue to rock the Dually do that. No sense doing it twice. If you want a mellow growl look into 50 series flows

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man