MagnaFlow vs Flowmaster vs Straight Pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
What's your favorite and why?

With the baffles in the Flowmaster do you loose HP?

Cat converter jokes welcome and requested!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
No cats here, true duals. No loss of power with the dual 40 series flowmasters. I had Magnaflows....and they SUCKED. I couldn't tear them off fast enough. Unless you want to piss off the general public with tye excessive noise (and rediculous drone in the cab constantly )...have you considered instead of straight pipes.....exhaust cutouts. At least with the electric cutouts, you can run "straight piped" on the open highway and then shut them for a quieter ride in town.

Whatever you decide to install....don't put the mufflers under the cab. Install them under the bed and you won't have to worry as much about the mind numbing exhaust rumble in the cab.

I also recommended installing sound deadening mat under the carpet in the cab. With my sound mat, my cab is quiet, even with my loud exhaust when the pedal is mashed.

With the cats removed, your exhaust will be less restricted and louder by a few decibels. Most reputable shops won't remove the cats (it's a hefty fine if they do). I removed mine and I hauled the truck to my muffler guy. My truck is also registered as a collector vehicle which requires no emissions.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Completely opinion based, so expect a lot of varying answers. For example, smooth hated his Magnaflows, but I love them on everything I've put them on. Very mellow and quiet when cruising around, but loud when you romp on it. Flowmasters always sounded tinny and "underwater" to me. Never liked them much.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Also...if you run true dual mufflers no matter the brand, they will be quieter than running two pipes into one muffler with two exits.

Before deciding on the series of Flowmaster and the configuration, my muffler guy test fit several from series 10 (extremely loud), to series 50, to the series 40, both dual and single. The problem I have with the Magna Flows is that they are not a baffled muffler. MagnaFlows are a perferated tube wrapped in fiberglass. I wanted a specific deep tone and the MagnaFlows sounded more like a glass pack. They lacked the deep tone throught the torque curve...but then again like foamy said, its a matter of personal preference.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Got super 40's on my 71 GMC, 1 5/8" headers with 3" collectors, back to 2.5" X pipe under the trans tailshaft to 40's and angled out if front of the rear tires...sounds awesome! No point in having a radio in the cab though, would never hear it, lol. 40's with mufflers back by the axle and out the rear sounds really good on my 86 and not really noisy in the cab.
Flowmaster does a sound test of 7 different mufflers on a sbc here http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/video-flowmaster-tests-7-different-mufflers-on-one-small-block/
Honestly, can't tell much difference except some depth at mid idle.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
3” pipe into 3” 10 series with more 3” pipe centered into 5” pipe and out the bed side on both sides where the gas doors used to be it’s a bit loud but I love it. Straight pipe meh was never into that so much had a 40 on my S10 and 50s on the Chevelle.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I put a Magnaflow kit on my Nova only because of very limited space, BIG MISTAKE, I can live with the sound when you get on it, but the drone inside sucks the big one, even in overdrive at 1900r's it's still irritating after awhile, if my 50 Series Flomasters would fit those Magnaflows would be in the trash...

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
As far as power no muffler or or a straight through muffler (baffle less) is the way to go but gonna be loud!
And h/x pipes do score a little more power than true duals I watch alot of engine masters love it all these tests have been done on the dyno

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Magnaflow over flowmasters, they have always droned in every car i have been in, they also rust out and get worse on the droning.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I hate, HATE, that the PO put on flows. Its too GD loud for as slow as I am and it dumps before the axle. Let me tell you about drone. gah, it almost makes my ears ring.

Im dumping them for magnaflows or dynomaxs, and then running full exhaust, tucked, and dumped at the bumper.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hooker Aerochamber mufflers.

/thread

:)

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I put a Magnaflow kit on my Nova only because of very limited space, BIG MISTAKE, I can live with the sound when you get on it, but the drone inside sucks the big one, even in overdrive at 1900r's it's still irritating after awhile, if my 50 Series Flomasters would fit those Magnaflows would be in the trash...
Not a super cheap solution might want to try wrapping them in header wrap.....

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Not a super cheap solution might want to try wrapping them in header wrap.....
I thought about that since they are stainless and won't rot out, wonder how good that stuff acts as a sound deadner though??, been trying to figure how I could get my Delta Flow 50's up there but there's just not enough room, I may just try the wrap can't hurt..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84