MagnaFlow vs Flowmaster vs Straight Pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
If you can continue to rock the Dually do that. No sense doing it twice. If you want a mellow growl look into 50 series flows
I am so curious as to how mine is going to sound once I get the new exhaust welded up. The PO installed long tube headers with cherry bombs and turn downs right behind the cab. (Not my flavor of koolaid).

Then I bought a parts truck that had new exhaust from the manifolds back with Flowmaster 40s on each side. I cut the exhaust from the donor truck and am about to weld it in behind my headers. Hoping for the mellow growl that is in my head. But, if I am disappointed, I will tell myself free and now blaring is FREE.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well then I may have to wait until I can afford headers
Cheap ass used 50 dollar headers work. Don't skimp on the gaskets though....

If you can continue to rock the Dually do that. No sense doing it twice. If you want a mellow growl look into 50 series flows

He wants the "drone". That's cheap turbo muffler style there.... Lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I am so curious as to how mine is going to sound once I get the new exhaust welded up. The PO installed long tube headers with cherry bombs and turn downs right behind the cab. (Not my flavor of koolaid).

Then I bought a parts truck that had new exhaust from the manifolds back with Flowmaster 40s on each side. I cut the exhaust from the donor truck and am about to weld it in behind my headers. Hoping for the mellow growl that is in my head. But, if I am disappointed, I will tell myself free and now blaring is FREE.
40s have some volume to them. The 44and 50s are a bit more mellow. The 40s will sound good. I’ve never been a fan of glass packs. I do like Flowmasters as well as Borla and let the questions fly...... lol......Super Trapps

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
40s have some volume to them. The 44and 50s are a bit more mellow. The 40s will sound good. I’ve never been a fan of glass packs. I do like Flowmasters as well as Borla and let the questions fly...... lol......Super Trapps
ARG!!! More **** from the past that I had forgotten about.... Lmao....

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
My old setup:
350 .030" over with a mild cam, stock heads into stock exhaust manifolds into true duals 2" pipe into two Flowmaster 40's 2.5" SI/SO. Had no exhaust tip or anything, just dumped under the bed.

Was so droney at anything other than an idle, couldn't carry a conversation without yellinf at each other. Also got exhaust fumes drifting up between the cab and bed. Sounded great outside of the truck. Reminded me of a boat chugging along.

Threw on a set of 12" exhaust tips onto the mufflers and it eliminated all exhaust fumes, almost took away the drone in the cab entirely. Quiet in the truck, but you'd hear it when you romp on the throttle. Quieted down the truck on the outside since the bed didnt amplify it anymore, tone was almost unchanged.

New setup:
350sbc .030" over, mild cam, stock heads, into 1-5/8" headers into 2.5" collectors, 2.5" true dual pipe all the way into the Flowmaster 40's 2.5" SI/SO with the exhaust tips.

No idea if the sound is gonna change at all, but it should flow better than with the stock exhaust manifolds on there for sure.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My old setup:
350 .030" over with a mild cam, stock heads into stock exhaust manifolds into true duals 2" pipe into two Flowmaster 40's 2.5" SI/SO. Had no exhaust tip or anything, just dumped under the bed.

Was so droney at anything other than an idle, couldn't carry a conversation without yellinf at each other. Also got exhaust fumes drifting up between the cab and bed. Sounded great outside of the truck. Reminded me of a boat chugging along.

Threw on a set of 12" exhaust tips onto the mufflers and it eliminated all exhaust fumes, almost took away the drone in the cab entirely. Quiet in the truck, but you'd hear it when you romp on the throttle. Quieted down the truck on the outside since the bed didnt amplify it anymore, tone was almost unchanged.
Anything will do that if yo don’t exit it properly except Supertrapps lol

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
@87silveradok20 . So you want a loud drone noise? Simple, and I have ran it for years. Run a 3 foot straight pipe off of each header collector. Next, put on the CHEAPEST turbo mufflers you can find. Not a glass pack. Not a cherry bomb. Nothing similar to a Flowmaster. Regular muffler looking, 20-30 each, 2 1/2" "turbo" mufflers. You are done.

As a side note- if you put turn downs on the mufflers, then you can charge places for cleaning their parking lot; just by driving through them. **** will be flying EVERYWHERE.

I've run this setup for years, because it's what I like; and it's cheap as hell.

***BTW- this only works if you have long tube headers. Even cheap ass ones.***
I may leave it like it is for awhile too. I'm going to get a YouTube started it too. I'm pretty sure ill go with bullets, maybe buy al three and swap what I want that specific day.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I may leave it like it is for awhile too. I'm going to get a YouTube started it too. I'm pretty sure ill go with bullets, maybe buy al three and swap what I want that specific day.
So, I have found out that you are 16. Please do not reply, or like, any comment that I make. I have no desire whatsoever to have a discussion online with a minor. Do your parents know that you are having online discussions with adults? If you want, you can PM me their phone number. I will pay the long distance charges, and have a discussion about it with them. Until then, I am requesting no contact from any, and all minors. Period.

@Derrick . I understand that you are 17. Please read the above, as it applies to you too.

Thank you....

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm a minor too, but I have permission...I promise

So, I have found out that you are 16. Please do not reply, or like, any comment that I make. I have no desire whatsoever to have a discussion online with a minor.

Do you have to make this disclosure as terms of your probation for that trench coat thing?

Last edited:

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm a minor too, but I have permission...I promise

Do you have to make this disclosure as terms of your probation for that trench coat thing?
Yeah, and I'm supposed to post a picture also. So if any of you forum members see the dude in the center, call the cops....

You must be registered for see images attach

Lol

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yeah, and I'm supposed to post a picture also. So if any of you forum members see the dude in the center, call the cops....

You must be registered for see images attach

Lol
You look like a creeper

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yes they do know that I have contact with adults, the only one they worry about is Honky, something about bad influences.....and crazy ideas...
Please stop referring to me in an attempt at humor. You don’t know me or anything about me. Probably better that way, for my sake anyway. I’m being nice and have to agree with @Dougnsalem on this. I guess I didn’t realize your newness to the world.

Last edited:

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
That was me makin comment about the turn this thread has taken, right?
Oh good. It was!
Do you experience any done with your Super turbos? Don't remember if you said they did. I'm really thing I may do the Super Turbos with the cut outs and bullets on those.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg