Low sump fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I’m looking to put a low sump on my 20 gal fuel tank to let the cummins drink alittle easier.

Al the low sump kits I see seem to be for the newer plastic tanks

Anybody ever install one on a metal tank, think it will be an issue?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
if the tank is shaped the same way I dont see how it would be different

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I had one made for my tank in my Chevelle. I had purchased one from Summit Racing, but the welder that did my work had me return it
because it wasn't the best quality metal. He just fabbed up his own for me. Been in the car for over 15 years and no leaks.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I’m looking to put a low sump on my 20 gal fuel tank to let the cummins drink alittle easier.

Al the low sump kits I see seem to be for the newer plastic tanks

Anybody ever install one on a metal tank, think it will be an issue?
It's steel, so its incredibly simple to do. Any decent welder or shop should be able to make a sump in a half hour or so. If you pull the tank and clean it out really well, you can probably just take it in and have them fab one up for you.

Its probably worth noting that you really wont gain anything from this though. The top of the sender is pretty much at the same height as the mechanical pump inlet on the stock engines. If the cummins lift pump is near the same level as the stock engine pumps, you will be lifting the fuel the same height regardless. The only benefit I could see would be the addition of the sump, which you can get by just buying an EFI tank with an internal baffle. Paying someone to fab the tank is probably going to cost more than just buying a brand new EFI tank would, and you are adding potential leaks with a low sump. Personally I would get an EFI tank and just run a carburetor or diesel truck sending unit pulling from the EFI baffle. If the lift pump is having a problem pulling the fuel, the next step would be a TBI electric pump and sending unit running to the lift pump so that it basically has no extra work to do on the suction side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS