Loosing steering!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
While I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, you missed the detail that man has a K5 and it doesn't have control arms.

But you are 100% correct that everything has to be checked even if it's not adjustable from the factory.
Lmao. Thanks for pointing that out in front of everyone. Lol. I did space it. That just makes it worse (imho). Now they have to mess with the ball joint bushings if they need to change the cam/cas...

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Sorry! I thought you were going all 2WD on a 4 WD.

He definitely needs a good shop, self-education or a GMSB tutorial on steering and alignment.

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Stop tossing parts at it! Go to a Firestone and tell them you want a Complete Vehicle Inspection, and tell them the sloppy steering is your main concern. This used to be 19.99 for the inspection. Also, ask for an alignment check with a printout. That also used to be 19.99. Some places will do it for free. Post the printout here. I wouldn't go back to that alignment shop ever again. They are BSing you when they say there's not much to align. Full camber and caster are adjustable with shims. They either don't want to spend the time to properly adjust it, or they don't have a tech that is an old fart, and has done a bazillion of them. Plus, (and this is just my opinion) I think it's pretty shady not to provide the customer with a before and after printout, of any alignment work done. That's not cool.

There's still a lot of stuff that could be bad. *** see next post ***Hammered control arm bushings? Worn out control arm shafts? Maybe your shafts are loose, and the shims fell out?(doubtful, it would probably klunk). *** see next post ***Plus everything the guys already mentioned. Anyways, save yourself some cash and time, and get a pro on it. Just my 2 cents trying to help....
The issue with that is if I would have taken it somewhere, all they'd tell me is Ithey need to replace all the parts I've replace so far and charged me for thier up charge for parts and labor.

Now I need to replace the pump because that's the first thing they will accuse.

I do agree on the alignment. I should have done better and asked for more.

I'll get the pump replaced and then take it in somewhere for a good diagnosis

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sorry! I thought you were going all 2WD on a 4 WD.

He definitely needs a good shop, self-education or a GMSB tutorial on steering and alignment.
No need to be sorry. I was going all 2WD on a 4WD. Lol. I don't mind admitting it, and making fun of myself. I spaced out hard on that one....

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The issue with that is if I would have taken it somewhere, all they'd tell me is Ithey need to replace all the parts I've replace so far and charged me for thier up charge for parts and labor
Honestly, a good shop shouldn't do that. If you pay for them to inspect/diagnose it, then they should be able to take you out and show you what's loose. Especially if it does it while parked. Got any community college's or high schools with an auto shop?

I agree with idaho and bucket. Bad box, or something loose. A bad pump is pretty rare for that (imho).

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The problem is, a reman box shouldn't need adjusted. It should just be built right in the first place.

Adjusting the box is trial and error for most people. Often when you adjust the slop out of the box, it won't self-center. That can be even more annoying than sloppy steering.

Also, not everyone can give a printout of the alignment specs. There's still shops that don't use a computerized alignment rack. There's nothing wrong with that either, as long as the tech knows what they are doing.

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
The problem is, a reman box shouldn't need adjusted. It should just be built right in the first place.

Adjusting the box is trial and error for most people. Often when you adjust the slop out of the box, it won't self-center. That can be even more annoying than sloppy steering.

Also, not everyone can give a printout of the alignment specs. There's still shops that don't use a computerized alignment rack. There's nothing wrong with that either, as long as the tech knows what they are doing.
Everything I've read about adjusting the box, it's usually at its end of life and people try to get a bit more out of it. Like you said, the reman box should be good to go. I'm hesitant on making the adjustment in case I need to send it back. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they think or have any suggestions.

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Heres part of the instructions that came with the reman. Talks about lining up the yellow Mark's, but there were no yellow Mark's, so I assumed the box was centered right out of the box. Also talks about having excessive play if the Mark's are not lined up. Which I feel like I'm experiencing.

I feel like it was centered though eventhough there were no yellow Mark's because the pitman can only go on in one direction. Pointing out the driver's side wheel well. Unless I'm was off here.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those part of the instructions are for a manual steering box. It's probably the same "blanket statement" instructions that they shove into every box.

If your box wasn't centered, you would have limited turning in one direction.

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Those part of the instructions are for a manual steering box. It's probably the same "blanket statement" instructions that they shove into every box.

If your box wasn't centered, you would have limited turning in one direction.
Ah ok. I figured the turning radius would be off if it wasn't centered.

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Trying to press my pulley off my power steering pump. Will. Not. Come off! Does it not press off??

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Trying to press my pulley off my power steering pump. Will. Not. Come off! Does it not press off??

Heres a shot
You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
It should press off. There are tools specifically for pulling and installing them.

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
It should press off. There are tools specifically for pulling and installing them.
Yeah. The tool won't get it off. It started to pull the ring off the pulley as you see in the picture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20