Loosing steering!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Did you get a print out from the shop that did the alignment? Tell us what it says or show us a picture of it showing the settings

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Did you get a print out from the shop that did the alignment? Tell us what it says or show us a picture of it showing the settings
They didn't give me a printout with the numbers. I believe all he did was adjust the toe. Said there wasnt much to aligning these old trucks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Too bad , looking at the caster/camber numbers could have given us a better idea if the angles were good. Does it have a steering stabilizer on it and how are the tires wear and pressure wise ?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What's the size and type of tires? Did they happen to mention what the tow-in was set to?

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Too bad , looking at the caster/camber numbers could have given us a better idea if the angles were good. Does it have a steering stabilizer on it and how are the tires wear and pressure wise ?
Brand new:
dual stabilizers
Sway bar bushings
Tie rod and ball joints
Knuckle ball joints, uppers and lowers
Drag link bar (adjustable)
Steering arm [4" lift]
Steering box
U-Joint steering shaft

Tires are new and properly pressured. So wear isn't available.

The only thing I know wrong with the steering components left is the pump. It leaks pretty good. I need to replace it for sure but would this cause the steering to act this way???

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
What's the size and type of tires? Did they happen to mention what the tow-in was set to?
35s. They did not.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Is the steering real free and easy feeling? Possible pressure regulator valve in the pump?

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Is the steering real free and easy feeling? Possible pressure regulator valve in the pump?
Yes. Free play for about 3 inches either way before the wheels react.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The free play that you feel is only while driving, right? Three inches slop in either direction while parked should be very easy to find the problem.

If it's just what you feel while driving, it could just be a combo of the large tires and a crappy steering box. I know it just got replaced, but they often get a crap reman job.

Also, your tow-in as measured from the tread should be around a 1/4 inch or slightly more.

The tires aren't swampers are they?

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
The free play that you feel is only while driving, right? Three inches slop in either direction while parked should be very easy to find the problem.

If it's just what you feel while driving, it could just be a combo of the large tires and a crappy steering box. I know it just got replaced, but they often get a crap reman job.

Also, your tow-in as measured from the tread should be around a 1/4 inch or slightly more.

The tires aren't swampers are they?
BFG KO2s.
The issue is the same before and after I replaced all the parts. And its noticable while parked and driving.

damncajun

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
The only part I have not replaced is the power steering. Its leaking bad and whines when turned all the way. It also "binds" if you turn the wheel too fast. I'm hoping this is the culprit. Its literally the last piece of the puzzle.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Without having it in front of me, I'm sticking with my same thoughts.

Sloppy steering box, frame flex or maybe a combination of one of those and improper tow-in.

The power steering pump can cause a similar issue, but I've only seen that once or maybe twice. It's certainly not common and it wouldn't cause an issue when parked.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
A lot of Reman boxes are notorious for being looser than your original. I'm with Bucket if it's loose standing still you've got problems in the gear or linkage.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Stop tossing parts at it! Go to a Firestone and tell them you want a Complete Vehicle Inspection, and tell them the sloppy steering is your main concern. This used to be 19.99 for the inspection. Also, ask for an alignment check with a printout. That also used to be 19.99. Some places will do it for free. Post the printout here. I wouldn't go back to that alignment shop ever again. They are BSing you when they say there's not much to align. Full camber and caster are adjustable with shims. They either don't want to spend the time to properly adjust it, or they don't have a tech that is an old fart, and has done a bazillion of them. Plus, (and this is just my opinion) I think it's pretty shady not to provide the customer with a before and after printout, of any alignment work done. That's not cool.

There's still a lot of stuff that could be bad. *** see next post ***Hammered control arm bushings? Worn out control arm shafts? Maybe your shafts are loose, and the shims fell out?(doubtful, it would probably klunk). *** see next post ***Plus everything the guys already mentioned. Anyways, save yourself some cash and time, and get a pro on it. Just my 2 cents trying to help....

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
While I agree with pretty much everything you're saying, you missed the detail that man has a K5 and it doesn't have control arms.

But you are 100% correct that everything has to be checked even if it's not adjustable from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tporter79