Looking at buying an 83 K10 with broken driveline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
@Christian Nelson - Nah man, I can get a clean body for down here in Alabama all day long. Engines and drive chain are the big deal here. Bodies are nothing. I drive a 1987 R10 from Georgia and I don't even have surface rust underneath the bed.

I gotta come down there to buy an old square! Bodies are hard to come by up here and even more so the last couple years.

Im seriously thinking I gotta do some southern shopping one these days!

Not even kidding

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I tell ya, some day, I'm gonna take the flat bed down south, and pick up a cheap square with no engine..

Just so unfair!!

I've got one right now, that is so bad, I am not kidding the floor's gone, and I've gottat do a whole cab off, and weld the thing back together..

With all that work, I should just turn that into a trailer, and move the whole drive train into a nicer truck..

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
@MadOgre @Christian nelson

Sorry guys! It's just how it is down here. If you ever want to come to Birminham Alabama area for some good bodies ping me and I will meet up, introduce you to some folks.

I am going to talk to that guy with the 83 K10 shortly, then later I will see a man that has about half a dozen running non rusted 81-87 Silverados. He only wants about $3K-$4K each for them.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Too bad it wasn't as easy as just putting them on a train :(

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just got back from looking at it.

Body is a lot rougher than it looks in the pictures, has a sort of crumpled coke can look to it.

The cab is nice and solid, had a good feel.

Bed is rusted through in a few places... (?!? In Alabama!!!)

BOTH Drive shafts broken from the yokes on the transfer case.

The engine has a deep inside rattle that screams "Broken Rod". (I took a video that captures that sound nicely, I will see if I can post it up)

He just changed the oil and filter...

Said he was pulling out of a gas station and the throttle stuck open and the brakes could not overcome the engine so he threw it in Neutral and cut the ignition switch.

I think.. maybe threw it in reverse... or something. While in 4WD.

Engine shot, the axles should be ok (Since the universal joints protected them), that 205 (it was a 205) transfer case is suspect, as is the transmission.

Oh, and the windshield is a loss too... double set of cracks straight across.

On the plus side, the cheap Mexican place I like was about a mile away, and I got lunch there. YUM. $8, including tip.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wonder if this guy is telling you the whole truth. No joke, the last time I seen a 4x4 that had 2 broke driveshafts... I watched the guy do it myself. We were in the river bed. He caught a little air on one little berm. He thought it was so cool, he did it again, with alot more throttle. Caught some good air that time. Came down and BAMM, wrapped both axles and broke the driveshafts. His engine compartment looked alot like that one pictured above too.

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
I wonder if this guy is telling you the whole truth. No joke, the last time I seen a 4x4 that had 2 broke driveshafts... I watched the guy do it myself. We were in the river bed. He caught a little air on one little berm. He thought it was so cool, he did it again, with alot more throttle. Caught some good air that time. Came down and BAMM, wrapped both axles and broke the driveshafts. His engine compartment looked alot like that one pictured above too.

Yeah... I didn't want to call him a liar to his face.

IF I offer him anything for this truck, it won't be much. He might not take it.

Bright side: I am seeing a fellow club member that has about 6 81-87 squares when I leave work today.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Holy crap ! His story don't jive at all.

Which means you would be buying a bent frame with just about everything drive line related needing overhaul.

At the end of the day you would be paying $500 for a set of rims :(

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
Holy crap ! His story don't jive at all.

Which means you would be buying a bent frame with just about everything drive line related needing overhaul.

At the end of the day you would be paying $500 for a set of rims :(

I opted out, visited my friend... wow.

That truck.. yeah. Thanks for the great advice guys, you did a fantastic job of making sure I was ready to pass on a disaster, and I am.

He has 7 squares, a show quality Bel Aire, Chevelle, Mach I, DMC, the list goes on.

I set my eyes on two short beds, and will be posting a thread on.. choose fool.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I opted out, visited my friend... wow.

That truck.. yeah. Thanks for the great advice guys, you did a fantastic job of making sure I was ready to pass on a disaster, and I am.

He has 7 squares, a show quality Bel Aire, Chevelle, Mach I, DMC, the list goes on.

I set my eyes on two short beds, and will be posting a thread on.. choose fool.

Right on! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666