Looking At Buying 1997 Cheyenne C1500 As Daily Driver Feedback Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Everyone is right on the foreign/domestic combo. We have an 05 Honda pilot for the wife, barely gets driven because she works from home, though it is our preferred long haul traveling vehicle.

I DD an 02 Silverado extended cab 4.8l 4wd, but my commute is like 8 miles round trip... And to be honest its mileage at 11mpg isn't much better than the 97 Suburban 7.4l 4wd at 9mpg and I absolutely prefer driving the burb For multiple reasons.
Same. My wife drives our newest vehicle, a 2015 Highlander and she works from home. It is the vacation wagon.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@JamesSam, what @TotalyHucked said imo is 100% true. I generally avoid ANY and ALL dealers like the plague. For many reasons not even inclusive of price.
That said, you’d have a 13-15 mpg commuter. Fwiw.
On the flip side, if I was looking for a budget yet still modern/comfortable truck I’d put GMT400s at the top of the list still today. For every reason. IMO they are about the most reliable vehicles to

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Good lookin whip!

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Just to throw another option out there, the NBS trucks are FANTASTIC trucks, are still plentiful and will be considered classics here in the next few years. LS motors, more comfortable interiors than an OBS (IMO) and cheap/plentiful parts. They also get better fuel mileage than OBS's depending on how they're equipped. Plus for the family, you get more room options in that they offered a full 4 door ECSB (rather than a 2 door that you had to fold the seat up for or the 3 door) and also a crewcab in the 1500s. I've had 7 of them and they're awesome trucks

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
My Squares PO had every receipt, all of them, back to 1996 when he bought it. I put them in a binder the day I drove it home, and take the truck to the same garage he did.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
not into an import for the daily driver thing either. may be reliable, but wait until ya gots to repair it. the gmt400's are stupidly simple to work on, cheap on parts and very reliable. my daily is a '90 gmt400 since we bought it off the orig owner in '95. in 30 yrs i put maybe $2-3000 in repairs and just for the usual stuff-nothing major at all. it's got close to 400 k on it and still driving. i've never owned anything newer than my '85 crewcab, but with the miles racking up on the '90, i went and bought another gmt400 and expect to get just as good service out of it as the '90.
and i would never let my wife park an import in my driveway, she's been dailying an '04 XUV since we bought it new, and have had zero issues with it. reg maintenance is the key...get intimate with your truck

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Well, I still want it and still can't get it. Not in the cards now. You all really make me want it even more. OBS are so bada$$ looking, like a square but different. One day.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think those trucks suck, but only because I used to own one.
Glad it's gone.
bad fuel systems,bad cooling systems, bad ignition systems, bad transmissions, bad door hinges, bad door handles. bad interior, bad everywhere
The door handle will snap off IN YOUR HAND!
tailgate handle gonna break
think i'm kiddin sucker?
bad,bad,bad

like workin on trucks do ya?

you can look forward to pushing it backwards if you ever need reverse but who ever drives backwards?
get your transmssion rebuilt over a focking 4 dollar solenoid.

What was the question? What do I think about it?
I think a CRV is prolly 100000% better than a gmt800 and i'd roll any color but red.

bad ass lookin, right?
(junk)
just getcha a picture and drive the Honda

Last edited:

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Say what ya want about imports but my camry is made in the usa and theres about 100 million of em so whatever problem i have there's 1,000 yt vids showing ya just what to do.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I think those trucks suck, but only because I used to own one.
Glad it's gone.
bad fuel systems,bad cooling systems, bad ignition systems, bad transmissions, bad door hinges, bad door handles. bad interior, bad everywhere
The door handle will snap off IN YOUR HAND!
tailgate handle gonna break
think i'm kiddin sucker?
bad,bad,bad

like workin on trucks do ya?

you can look forward to pushing it backwards if you ever need reverse but who ever drives backwards?
get your transmssion rebuilt over a focking 4 dollar solenoid.

What was the question? What do I think about it?
I think a CRV is prolly 100000% better than a gmt400 and i'd roll any color but red.

bad ass lookin, right?
(junk)
just getcha a picture and drive the Honda
Already did that 10 times over. Still want one.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I looked that rig up, she looks real clean! I'd buy it and change out the head and taillights for OE immediately, maybe some rims when those tires go.

Life's too short to not drive a chevy lol
I wish dudes. Life is not letting it happen. Trust me when I say I have lusted after this truck. It's honestly exactly what I want( aside from the Sawzall touchscreen and wierd Japanese race car light lenses). I have a 4x4 and want a street truck...that can do all the stuff...trust me I know what I am missing. My wife does not, and with all other expenses occurring now she is ignoring...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad