Looking At Buying 1997 Cheyenne C1500 As Daily Driver Feedback Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Hey All,
I am seriously thinking about trading in my 2007 CRV for a 1997 Cheyenne C1500. I really love driving my truck, so much that I probably drive it more than I should. I have decided I want to drive a truck every day and not just any truck. I want a cool ass Chevy truck that I can do all the things I do with my CRV. Details on the truck I have been keeping an eye on: 1997 extended cab C1500. 135,907 miles. Looks great in pics from the dealership and I have not seen it in person. Description reads that it drives like new. My CRV is at similar mileage and is my work horse(highway driving, an hour or more every day). The C1500 has been listed since June 2023 and has come down in price several times. Compared to the CRV it seems the Chevy can do everything the CRV can do and more. Both have: seating for 5, a hitch, plenty of room for storage(more in the truck), mid-life low mileage. They are a decade apart however. I think driving this as a daily would greatly curb me wanting to put unnecessary miles on my square and still serve the purpose of work/family transport. I have never driven or had an OBS GM truck besides my first ride ever a 1988 GMC Safari van, OBS-ish I guess. Please anyone with feed back on these trucks, let me know specific pros, cons or any details that might help sway my decision. Thanks in advance!

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
The '97's had the Vortec, so they have decent power. It will not compare in fuel mileage to the CRV but will do more from a working standpoint. Myself, I'd take a Chevy truck over anything foreign anyhow, but I'm all for the home team!

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Hey All,
I am seriously thinking about trading in my 2007 CRV for a 1997 Cheyenne C1500. I really love driving my truck, so much that I probably drive it more than I should. I have decided I want to drive a truck every day and not just any truck. I want a cool ass Chevy truck that I can do all the things I do with my CRV. Details on the truck I have been keeping an eye on: 1997 extended cab C1500. 135,907 miles. Looks great in pics from the dealership and I have not seen it in person. Description reads that it drives like new. My CRV is at similar mileage and is my work horse(highway driving, an hour or more every day). The C1500 has been listed since June 2023 and has come down in price several times. Compared to the CRV it seems the Chevy can do everything the CRV can do and more. Both have: seating for 5, a hitch, plenty of room for storage(more in the truck), mid-life low mileage. They are a decade apart however. I think driving this as a daily would greatly curb me wanting to put unnecessary miles on my square and still serve the purpose of work/family transport. I have never driven or had an OBS GM truck besides my first ride ever a 1988 GMC Safari van, OBS-ish I guess. Please anyone with feed back on these trucks, let me know specific pros, cons or any details that might help sway my decision. Thanks in advance!
In July '22 I bought my crew cab, '97 C3500 CCLB, 5.7/4L80E/4.10 FF. Very capable truck, just a pain in the backside to drive and park in confined spaces. Bought it from the grandson of the original owner, had only 122K on it! We've put another 11K on it since purchase, including two trips to Austin and back, and a few other swap meet/toy show trips in the Houston area. All the rest is just driving to work; Mom and I used to have two 50 or more miles a day routes, twice a week.
I've had to put some $$ into it; hydro boost unit failed two days after I bought it, and I've replaced the starter and a couple of batteries, and done a tuneup and TPS/IACV. But everything I've replaced, has been replacing the original parts.... except for the batteries of course.
I prefer the '95-up interior style, but all 3 of my OBS trucks are like that. The '88-94 interior is closer to the square body style.
One thing that is a problem with the OBS 1500 pickups, is the rear drums are only 10", and they're tricky to keep adjusted so they function properly. A rear axle swap from a Suburban will take care of that though, and give you the 11 5/32" drums and brake shoes/hardware like the later squares had, plus a rear sway bar that the trucks sorely need.
As mentioned, the '96-up OBS trucks have the Vortec 5.0/5.7, which has more power than the TBI ones. They run a much higher fuel pressure than the TBI or a carb will, and like a good fuel pump and a clean filter.
If you get this truck, or another OBS (and from your description, this one sounds like a good truck, smaller version of mine!) I would also recommend you join the gmt400.com forum. We have lots of great members, and it's a brother forum/group to this one. And we like to answer questions and share tips and advice, pretty much like y'all on here do!
If you have the ability to get a Carfax or similar report on it, I'd do that if I could too. My truck purchase came about in a rather quick fashion; I was looking at it online and two days later it was in front of the trailer. But it is in pretty good condition for a farm truck, and the interior is so nice I keep big towels on the seats so they don't get dirty(it's the light tan velour and I want to keep them pristine, since it came to me that way).

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I had a CRV and I got t-boned in it and it was totaled. I really liked it as a run about, but long trips were not comfortable. I'd take the extended cab for daily duty for sure. Yeah it's more gas, but sometimes the comfort and utility are worth it, to me anyway. I say do it! Pics of the truck?

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
In July '22 I bought my crew cab, '97 C3500 CCLB, 5.7/4L80E/4.10 FF. Very capable truck, just a pain in the backside to drive and park in confined spaces. Bought it from the grandson of the original owner, had only 122K on it! We've put another 11K on it since purchase, including two trips to Austin and back, and a few other swap meet/toy show trips in the Houston area. All the rest is just driving to work; Mom and I used to have two 50 or more miles a day routes, twice a week.
I've had to put some $$ into it; hydro boost unit failed two days after I bought it, and I've replaced the starter and a couple of batteries, and done a tuneup and TPS/IACV. But everything I've replaced, has been replacing the original parts.... except for the batteries of course.
I prefer the '95-up interior style, but all 3 of my OBS trucks are like that. The '88-94 interior is closer to the square body style.
One thing that is a problem with the OBS 1500 pickups, is the rear drums are only 10", and they're tricky to keep adjusted so they function properly. A rear axle swap from a Suburban will take care of that though, and give you the 11 5/32" drums and brake shoes/hardware like the later squares had, plus a rear sway bar that the trucks sorely need.
As mentioned, the '96-up OBS trucks have the Vortec 5.0/5.7, which has more power than the TBI ones. They run a much higher fuel pressure than the TBI or a carb will, and like a good fuel pump and a clean filter.
If you get this truck, or another OBS (and from your description, this one sounds like a good truck, smaller version of mine!) I would also recommend you join the gmt400.com forum. We have lots of great members, and it's a brother forum/group to this one. And we like to answer questions and share tips and advice, pretty much like y'all on here do!
If you have the ability to get a Carfax or similar report on it, I'd do that if I could too. My truck purchase came about in a rather quick fashion; I was looking at it online and two days later it was in front of the trailer. But it is in pretty good condition for a farm truck, and the interior is so nice I keep big towels on the seats so they don't get dirty(it's the light tan velour and I want to keep them pristine, since it came to me that way).
One thing I forgot: the '94 and '95 OBS trucks have several one or two year only parts, that are specific to those years(or only '94 or only '95). '94 is the last year for the early interior, but they have the new style grille and lights. The '95 has the new interior, but is still TBI and IIRC the automatic transmission is a '95 only version. Something to do with the controller, I think (have not personally dealt with one but have heard from others who have).

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
One thing I forgot: the '94 and '95 OBS trucks have several one or two year only parts, that are specific to those years(or only '94 or only '95). '94 is the last year for the early interior, but they have the new style grille and lights. The '95 has the new interior, but is still TBI and IIRC the automatic transmission is a '95 only version. Something to do with the controller, I think (have not personally dealt with one but have heard from others who have).
Yes exactly. I helped a friend turn his 98 2500 vortec 454 to a 95 tbi 454. Had to switch over all harnesses. Even under dash harness. 95 is pretty proprietary like that. I also learned that in 1995 the 2500 pickup didn't offer a 454, could only get a 350 or 6.5. but you could on a 1995 2500 suburban get a 454.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you can afford too,and want to double your monthly fuel expense,by all means go for it. From what I read you commute a lot, I know I do, everything's an hour from me so my trucks are used,When I need a truck to do truck stuff, my DD. is a Mazda powered tuner. 15 second 1/4s 30 mpg beating on it. That is a good looking truck though.

Last edited:

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
If you can afford too,and want to double your monthly fuel expense,by all means go for it. From what I read you commute a lot, I do, everything's an hour from me so my trucks are used,When I need a truck to do truck stuff, my DD. is a Mazda powered tuner. 15 second 1/4s 30 mpg beating on it. That is a good looking truck though.
You sound like the boss. She is telling me no.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
If you can afford too,and want to double your monthly fuel expense,by all means go for it. From what I read you commute a lot, I do, everything's an hour from me so my trucks are used,When I need a truck to do truck stuff, my DD. is a Mazda powered tuner. 15 second 1/4s 30 mpg beating on it. That is a good looking truck though.
It's an awesome looking truck and it will probably be someone else's. It takes a lot for my better half to understand why sometimes doing things because we only live once is beneficial.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
First off, if its coming from a dealer, you need to have it thoroughly mechanically gone through. Second, Keep both. One or the other will need service at times, and you will be unable to drive. So, keep the honda and the truck. If you cannot afford, your wife is right.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
With older rigs, I'm all for having a (dare i say it) asian DD. My setup is my old truck paired with a 2016 camry.

However, also a proponent of yolo.

But, you still have the 87 right?

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
With older rigs, I'm all for having a (dare i say it) asian DD. My setup is my old truck paired with a 2016 camry.

However, also a proponent of yolo.

But, you still have the 87 right?
Yep I still have the 87 and have not fallen out of love. I just was in la la land thinking I could have two Chevy trucks and one be my DD. My wife and others are quick to point out that driving that truck every day would never compare
gas mileage wise. The CRV has been my work horse as stated. I just want it cuz I want to drive a truck everyday. Not because I need it. So I have a pair up like you @CountKrunk one truck and a reliable Asian vehicle as my DD. Probably not driving a truck daily for a long time. It's a sweet looking truck though. I have not seen it in person however, so as you mentioned @justhorns it would need further inspection. It is at a dealership and has been listed since June 2023. It's now nearly half the original asking price which is another thing that has me looking in to it so much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag