Looking At Buying 1997 Cheyenne C1500 As Daily Driver Feedback Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I just want it cuz I want to drive a truck everyday. Not because I need it.
Thats me to brother, Yeah I like cars if there fast, But my first car was a 1951 GMC, and pretty much that has been a lifetime thing. Like trucks!

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Started at $14,995.
That's RCSB money, no wonder it hasn't sold. That's certainly a nice one, but I'd put it at 7-9k. And coming from a dealer, you won't get any of the history or anything with it either, which sucks. I think there's better buys to be had, even at half the original price

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Sam, The wife might be right on this one, have you seen the 5 owner car fax? Odd service history? yikes, my back brain says...uhhhh...paaaass. (unless it dropped to $1-2k, lifetime power train And electrical lmao)

I like the sawzall type "Premium sound system head unit install" reminds me of...of...of...n/m. At least someone tried to keep up the paint job, as seen with the over/under spray.
Give your wife a hug, a lil' spoilin', make her some good dinners, and breakfast's, while thanking her the whole time from many headaches missed with that particular truck.

Then when she feels ever better, ask her for help finding a future fun d/d, (with a 3k-5k oil change history plus other good stuff) so you are ready when the CRV needs a replacement, it happens with vehicles, just be prepared.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Sam, The wife might be right on this one, have you seen the 5 owner car fax? Odd service history? yikes, my back brain says...uhhhh...paaaass. (unless it dropped to $1-2k, lifetime power train And electrical lmao)

I like the sawzall type "Premium sound system head unit install" reminds me of...of...of...n/m. At least someone tried to keep up the paint job, as seen with the over/under spray.
Give your wife a hug, a lil' spoilin', make her some good dinners, and breakfast's, while thanking her the whole time from many headaches missed with that particular truck.

Then when she feels ever better, ask her for help finding a future fun d/d, (with a 3k-5k oil change history plus other good stuff) so you are ready when the CRV needs a replacement, it happens with vehicles, just be prepared.

LMAO!
Tony, I make almost all the meals around this house aside from the kids breakfast and lunchbox fillings on days when I work so trying to sweeten her up from that angle is N/A. Thanks for the insight. I appreciate you helping calm my restlessness. LOL! Like I said, I have not seen this truck in person. I still would drive the hell out of an OBS extended cab. Seriously though, I appreciate you looking out for a fellow Square representative.

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You are very welcome.
For the heck of it, a random thought, "Think of buying $8k in American Silver Eagles", let them sit until the CRV is done, see what that said silver trades for then, might be a bit different, never know lol.
(I am not an investment banker advisor etc, nor do I play one on TV)

And of course the "envelope money you stacked and forgot about", it adds up.

If you search that truck, and see the stuff I saw on the Carfax?, Mmm...might have been good from the original owner, but not much after that. When I search for stuff, and see the maintenance schedule? 20k miles between oil changes?, no trans service etc. whahaha...You already know.

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
You are very welcome.
For the heck of it, a random thought, "Think of buying $8k in American Silver Eagles", let them sit until the CRV is done, see what that said silver trades for then, might be a bit different, never know lol.
(I am not an investment banker advisor etc, nor do I play one on TV)

And of course the "envelope money you stacked and forgot about", it adds up.

If you search that truck, and see the stuff I saw on the Carfax?, Mmm...might have been good from the original owner, but not much after that. When I search for stuff, and see the maintenance schedule? 20k miles between oil changes?, no trans service etc. whahaha...You already know.
To play devil's advocate here... just because it doesn't have a "Carfax" history, doesn't mean that the history is bad. I have NEVER had any service done at a stealership on any of my vehicles (several purchased new) unless it was for warranty repair. I do however had a computer spreadsheet and/or paper trail of EVERY service, part, or fluid I've ever used on anything with an engine in my household. So again, my vehicles wouldn't have a history while I owned them, but do have a great history of them. Heck, the Traverse I sold 2 years ago sold to the first person that looked at it, for the exact amount I was asking for it, without even a test drive when he say my maintenance log.

You are correct though that unfortunately, since a dealership is selling this, the new owner will not get that history. Only what Carfax says.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Too bad it’s not a MT. If it was a 5spd I don't know if I could hold myself back lol
Dude I saw a 95 loaded Z71 350 5 speed 67k miles, mint for sale recently. Guy wanted $9400 and I called and he wouldn’t even let me come look at it. Said it was already gettin shipped back east after being on CL for 2 days. Only kept the add up in case it fell thru.
It didn’t. The add and the truck were both gone 2 days later.
Ida bought it in a heartbeat. No haggling on price!

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Dude I saw a 95 loaded Z71 350 5 speed 67k miles, mint for sale recently. Guy wanted $9400 and I called and he wouldn’t even let me come look at it. Said it was already gettin shipped back east after being on CL for 2 days. Only kept the add up in case it fell thru.
It didn’t. The add and the truck were both gone 2 days later.
Ida bought it in a heartbeat. No haggling on price!
That would have been such a sweet truck!
Dang!

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
To play devil's advocate here... just because it doesn't have a "Carfax" history, doesn't mean that the history is bad.
Holy Smokes! Yep, you are correct sir, uh,...Can I buy your truck!? You are exemplary for sure, and spreadsheets to show it. Top 2 percent right there. Mine just have a binder with receipt's and sometimes notes.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
My Squares PO had every receipt, all of them, back to 1996 when he bought it. I put them in a binder the day I drove it home, and take the truck to the same garage he did.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yep I still have the 87 and have not fallen out of love. I just was in la la land thinking I could have two Chevy trucks and one be my DD. My wife and others are quick to point out that driving that truck every day would never compare
gas mileage wise. The CRV has been my work horse as stated. I just want it cuz I want to drive a truck everyday. Not because I need it. So I have a pair up like you @CountKrunk one truck and a reliable Asian vehicle as my DD. Probably not driving a truck daily for a long time. It's a sweet looking truck though. I have not seen it in person however, so as you mentioned @justhorns it would need further inspection. It is at a dealership and has been listed since June 2023. It's now nearly half the original asking price which is another thing that has me looking in to it so much.
Everyone is right on the foreign/domestic combo. We have an 05 Honda pilot for the wife, barely gets driven because she works from home, though it is our preferred long haul traveling vehicle.

I DD an 02 Silverado extended cab 4.8l 4wd, but my commute is like 8 miles round trip... And to be honest its mileage at 11mpg isn't much better than the 97 Suburban 7.4l 4wd at 9mpg and I absolutely prefer driving the burb For multiple reasons.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Nah, I refuse to own a damn import lol. I had a bad experience with a Camry and several with Nissans. That's why I bought a Ford Fusion last time I wanted a commuter. But I'd much rather be in a truck, hence my '17 Ram now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad