Long bed to short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
I was looking into making my truck a 4x4 and thought it would be easier to find a k frame. So here's my question would a burb frame work for my truck if I would make it a short bed because I was thinking about that to. Maybe your opinion on the short bed to would be nice. Thanks

Crew cab long box

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You can "make" it work, it is likely none of the body mounts are going to match up but if you can cut/weld/fab you can make it work. Crew cab short bed? Sounds like an awesome project! A lot of work but awesome!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The Burb frame is too short. The cab will nearly bolt on, you just need to make a crossmember for the rear two mounts. The problem is you end up with enough room for about a 4 foot bed.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I trust what everyone has already said. But if your seriouse about making yours a shortbed now, then you would need to cut 14.5" of the frame infront of the front rear spring hangers, then I think its like 4" off of the back of the frame.

If you decide to do the 4X4 conversion, I do have3 a set of hangers and Front leaf springs from a 1 ton truck, Make me an offer and I can bring them with me when I come to texas in 2 weeks.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
do you yall know if any other frame will work

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
I trust what everyone has already said. But if your seriouse about making yours a shortbed now, then you would need to cut 14.5" of the frame infront of the front rear spring hangers, then I think its like 4" off of the back of the frame.

If you decide to do the 4X4 conversion, I do have3 a set of hangers and Front leaf springs from a 1 ton truck, Make me an offer and I can bring them with me when I come to texas in 2 weeks.

im sorry but i think id rather find a frame

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
im sorry but i think id rather find a frame

dont blame you was just offering. Cause it doesnt seem like its gonna be to easy to come up with a 4X4 crewcab frame.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
dont blame you was just offering. Cause it doesnt seem like its gonna be to easy to come up with a 4X4 crewcab frame.

Yeah thats what i was thinking but if i could find a frame that a short bed would fit on 4x4 frame less work :lazer:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How you doing Jacob? Everything OK? You were here posting away, and now fell off the planet?

I think I like your idea and would be curious to see how it turned out. Find you a Burb 4x4 frame, mount the Crew Cab and front clip, then with what's left, cut down a bed. As bucket said, you'd have about a 4 foot bed. That would look similar to a GM Squarebody Ford Sport Trak. It would sure be different and unique. Then again, might just be as easy to find you a 4x4 Burb and rock with it, and then Gimme your Crew Cab. I'll give it a good home. It is really painted that Toyota Bronze Mica Color? I'd rock the hell outta your CC. I'd even pay a little sumtin sumtin for it, but I'd have to sell at least one of mine first.
Back to serious, you could sell yours and buy a 3/4 ton 4x4 Burb and avoid mega fab work.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
How you doing Jacob? Everything OK? You were here posting away, and now fell off the planet?

I think I like your idea and would be curious to see how it turned out. Find you a Burb 4x4 frame, mount the Crew Cab and front clip, then with what's left, cut down a bed. As bucket said, you'd have about a 4 foot bed. That would look similar to a GM Squarebody Ford Sport Trak. It would sure be different and unique. Then again, might just be as easy to find you a 4x4 Burb and rock with it, and then Gimme your Crew Cab. I'll give it a good home. It is really painted that Toyota Bronze Mica Color? I'd rock the hell outta your CC. I'd even pay a little sumtin sumtin for it, but I'd have to sell at least one of mine first.
Back to serious, you could sell yours and buy a 3/4 ton 4x4 Burb and avoid mega fab work.

Yah, I thought we had a lifer here. :bawl:

elstm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
lynn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 crew cab dually
Engine Size
6.2 twin turbo diesel
you could take the Burb frame and stretch it to the right wheel base for a short box. That way you get 4x4 and the short box, and still get to drive your Crew while you work on the frame.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker

Im sorry i havent been posting on her are internet got screwed up then mom decided she wanted too move so was in the middle of that my bad... the only probely i have is i still want it to look factory

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cool. At least you made it back. You're still a newbie here and figured you just flaked off like some do. If you know something like that is going down. Just post an update in your thread, you're gonna be gone a bit. Most of us do keep track of each other and we tend to bug the MIA via direct email at times.

Yeah, I'd keep the factory look as much as possible. Other than stuff like wheels that can be changed back easily, you can still have OEM and look great.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzhP6um92ew&feature=plcp

What would yall thank about this frame cut:popcorn:

also this guy channel is awesome if you want to know anything about a cummins

One more thing just moved to where my truck is located so hopefully will be posting some project threads soon.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
Cool. At least you made it back. You're still a newbie here and figured you just flaked off like some do. If you know something like that is going down. Just post an update in your thread, you're gonna be gone a bit. Most of us do keep track of each other and we tend to bug the MIA via direct email at times.

Yeah, I'd keep the factory look as much as possible. Other than stuff like wheels that can be changed back easily, you can still have OEM and look great.

alright will remember that next time btw whats MIA. probely one of those dumb questions

You always up this late?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklemcole