Locker Shootout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Well hi yall,I am back and on the road i.e. 2wd , 85' burb',6.2 diesel, 700r4 trans. and "sf" with a former 3.73 and a bad rear,I didn't get to do the ff conversion as I previously discussed due to lack of finances but I did manage to find a matching "sf" rear with a little treat,I got a "sf" out of a newer pickup with a 4.10 open diff. and to my luck my mpg has improved,but there is a catch,as you guys already know the "sf" is not near as durable as a "ff" and although I really enjoy the 4.10 and the less stress on the tranny at lower speeds and increase in pulling power and mpg, I dread one thing,and thats a rematch with ol' man winter that was the reason the rear blew out in the first place,(to much revving and getting stuck even with weight finally ended the first rear),and I know even with weight and good tires and and good wheeling habits and avoiding areas that I could get stuck I dread that without a good locker I am doomed to repeat what happened this recent winter,I am opening up comments on what is the best locker ? ARB ? SPICER ? DETROIT ? GRIZZLY ? OX ? ETC. keep in mind I am staying with the 4.10 so no worries there, but I do not want a repeat of last year,I just wanna hear you guys out on who is the king of the locker world,lets settle this whos got what,who gets stuck the least,who versed who in a shootout and came out on top I hear all the hype about this and that from the ads but I wanna hear from you guys the guys who use this stuff everyday so,well enough of my ranting I will let yall fire away,thanks in advance, and in the words of a famous referee,"LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE" !!!!!!! :rockit: :rockit: :rockit:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have never owned a truck with a 9.5" semi float nor would I but with that being said , All the 12 bolts I have sprayed all over the gound with big tire's and hp. I have had good luck with the moroso super brute with red springs , (limited slip but very tight). All the 10.5 full floats that I have now all have detroit's in them and that is my chioce , (slip into the open carrier) with out a single problem but I don't think they make those for a 9.5" semi. I live in the deep snow country and sure you wont get stuck as easy with a lock rear end but you are ditch to ditch on plowed roads , ( I kind of like that but thats me) , any way some people like limited slip better in the snow.

I have also had good luck with the auburn gear limited slip , they work well for snow and I think they make a eaton detroit locker , (replace carrier style) for a 9.5 but I am not sure but that would be my choice since I have had good luck with detroit before.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Thanks hirschdalechevy, I think the Detroit Locker is gonna win it I have heard good reviews from others but I wanted someone from snow country to have a input because this year was the worst winter michigan has had in years,last year sucked for my truck because it did not have a tried and true detroit locker in it but instead had one of those factory jobs in it and they claim it was a locker but me getting stuck over and over again with bad tires and even with 600lbs. of weight proved that there was no such thing in that rear and that factory setup finally gave way.I know detroit gives 100% power to both drive wheels at all times except for when you let off the throttle or when different speeds occur with each wheel so that sounds like a winner especially in the snow to where it seems you need them babies turnin' or you ain't goin nowhere fast,and on a side note they do make a real detroit for the semi float but it cost almost $800 , thats why I wanted the full float ,much cheaper to buy parts for once ya finally convert it over but the guy that helped me fix the truck was in no mood for conversions that day so the replacement "sf" had to get on there :think: ah well anyway this coming winter I plan on putting in a detroit locker, some goodyear duratracs or some bfg commercial tractions combined with 1200 to 1600 lbs. of weight in the back of that 2wd beast,so that hopefully my long cold days of getting stuck in a foot of snow will be no more,thanx for the info and keep on truckin.:hat:

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
since hirschdalechevy mentioned limited slips units, take a minute to look at the TrueTrack unit. I've got one in the front axle of a 3500 Ram diesel (not stock). I've driven it with the hubs locked in 4Hi on snow and it pulled very well, even turning was smooth. You could feel it shift power to each side when taking off from a slick/icy intersection. No special fluid required, just another option.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I currently have a detroit locker in the back of my truck and a eaton truetrac in the front. In the past I have had a Lockright and an Auburn Gear limted slip pro.

My 2 favorites out of those are the detroit locker and the eaton truetrac. Both are great, both have strong points.

A friend of mine has the truetrac in the rear of his truck- so I also know what is like when that is the only traction diff. It feels like an open diff... no noise, no clunks, no friction additive to the oil. It won't make the inside tire scrub. Not quite as good for off road- especially if you get one tire up in the air or have it on wet glare ice on one side.

Detroit locker does make a little noise, and for towing sometimes can be rough on tires (the locker will lock with throttle. So if you are turning tight and going up hill the rear end will lock, and scrub the inside tire). Likewise when going up to a ski area and are giving it gas around a corner while going uphill the rear axle also locks. This causes the rear end to slide out. Sometimes fun, but going up the whole side of the mountain like the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard gets old quick. So I use 4wd to keep the truck from power sliding.

Basically the truetrac has better street manners

Detroit locker is stronger and better off road

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Heres the deal though, you guys all have 4 wheel which I envy believe me I would have saved a lot of dough on a repair bill if I did,but I have 2WD,so as I suspected if I am in a foot of fresh snow with good tires and weight I want the actual detroit and not the truetrack or the auburn ,or anything else come to think of it I had either a eaton or a auburn in there before they claimed they were locking diffs. on the original equipment list for the truck but they acted more like limited slip and and with bad tires this issue drove me up a wall this past winter I was expecting to just wheel right on through the snow and then boom,one wheel then the other wheel and back and forth it went not truly locking,so it sounds like detroit is the closest thing I am gonna get to a true spool then detroit it is.Thanx again for the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD