Limited steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Hey guys so I have an issue that I'm sure is common but can't find any good answers.

I have full steering right and about half steering to the left.
Steering wheel is about 1/3 turn to the right.
Drag link is as short as possible.

Truck goes down road straight

My question I guess is will shortening or extending the drag link fix these issues?

Attachments

• 20230605_185615.jpg
    20230605_185615.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 35

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Check the stops. Also, how many turns lock to lock? Maybe the steering box isn’t centered.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Check the stops. Also, how many turns lock to lock? Maybe the steering box isn’t centered.
It's like 3 to right 1.5 to left. Locks are set properly. I'm sure box isn't centered I was mostly curious if extending the drag link will center box to allow more left turn

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
What you’re describing is usually the result of installing a lift without appropriate steering correction parts.

How much suspension lift? What lift steering pieces do you have installed?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I always adjust so you get similar turns each way. I usually end up with 1/2 turn diff between left and right im guessing lift .do you already have a raised steering arm?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It's like 3 to right 1.5 to left. Locks are set properly. I'm sure box isn't centered I was mostly curious if extending the drag link will center box to allow more left turn
Assuming you have proper steering parts corrections for your lift…

Point the tires straight ahead. Disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm.

Now your steering wheel is just turning the box and pitman arm. Count exact number of turns lock to lock. Using a piece of masking tape on the wheel at 12 o clock will help. Let’s say you have 4.5 turns total. Go all the way to one direction and set the tape at 12 if it’s not there already. Rotate the wheel 2.25 turns (half of the theoretical 4.5. Now your box is essentially centered.

Adjust your drag link to drop right into the pitman arm. Now your steering wheel will likely be off center. Do no adjust that with the drag link. You need to disconnect the steering shaft from the box and clock your wheel that way. Reattach and you are ready for alignment.

After a proper alignment. Another slight adjustment may be necessary.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Sometimes the true center of a steering box is based on on feel, meaning the center of the range of motion is not always the natural center of the gear, but that’s a whole ‘nother deal…

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Park the truck with the wheels straight. Disconnect the drag link. Center the steering box so you can turn the wheel equally in each direction. Make sure the steering wheel stays straight, then adjust the drag link so you can bolt it back up. Then road test the truck and make any needed minor adjustment to center the steering wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67