Lights problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisrothjr

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
So I have a 1987 GMC 1500 and my tail lights and dash lights stopped working at the same time. I've been tracing wires. Looking @ schematics and I have replaced the light switch. Nothing has worked.
Here's exactly what I've done:

Replaced light switch
Replaced all broken fuses
Replaced all dash lights
Tested continuity of tail light wires

The biggest confusion I'm having is that my brake lights still work and my directionals still work. So I'm not sure where my issue could be.
Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Check that TL/CTSY fuse again - with a meter this time. Don't go by the link in the fuse window - sometimes they break way over to the side and you can't see it.

The good news is; if you have headlights, it's not the fusible link. There are two fusible links buried down by the starter. One is dedicated to the lighting circuits - the ones that are controlled by the HL switch. (The brake lights and directionals are entirely segregated from the other lighting circuits). I'll bet you don't have front parking lights either - the front directionals will work but not the steady parking lights. Your dome light and horn are probably out as well.

It goes like this:

The power to all the lighting circuits (except the directionals and brake lights) passes through the fusible link down by the starter. It runs up and across the firewall, the drops down to the firewall connection block.

It enters the firewall side of the block as a single big red lead. When it emerges on the cab side of the connection block, it immediately splits off into two separate (red) leads.

One of these leads provides power to the headlights only - and is run directly to the HL switch. This lead by passes the fuse block and is protected only by the fusible link. If you look at the switch harness connector, you will see it in come in at the top of the long row:

You must be registered for see images attach

But you have headlights, which means the lead dedicated to that circuit is hot. So, forget about that and see if you can find the problem with the other lighting circuits. All the other lighting is protected by fuses.

When the two leads are split after passing through the FW, one goes straight to the HL switch, the other goes to the fuse block. It enters the block at the line (inlet) side of the fuse socket labeled T/L CTSY (it is also shunted down to the line side of the HORN DOME fuse).

When it comes out of the load (outlet) side of the T/L CTSY fuse socket it is orange. That orange lead is then run to the HL switch where it provides switched power to the tail lights, front parking lights and dome/instrument lamps:

NOTE: Don't go by the color of my tracers, I am way color deficient.

So you can see that if there is power to the HL's - but no power to the other circuits, there is a problem with either the splice at the FW (or the wire into the fuse block), the fuse block or the orange wire that feeds the HL switch.

If you have a meter and know how to use it, I would ring the circuit out like this:

1. Check the fuse for continuity.

2. Check for power on the line side of the fuse socket. Pull the fuse and check for 12 VDC coming in to the socket. It should be the clip on the RH side looking forward, but check both sides to be sure.

3. If you find that there is power into the fuse, check that it is getting over to the HL switch on the orange lead. Confirm 12 volts at the harness connector where the two orange leads enter the back. (that extra orange lead splits off to feed the courtesy lighting circuit).

If you have power coming into the HL switch on the orange, the tail lights should work. If not..IDK, recheck your connections.

Last edited:

chrisrothjr

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Thank you very much. This has been very helpful. I think I have narrowed down my issue. I keep blowing the fuse.
I have tested continuity on every thing from the switch to the lights and I get 12 VDC on every connection.
Do you have any idea why the fuses would keep breaking?
The fuse box says use 20 amp fuses. The guy I bought it from had a 30 in there and I've used three 30 amp fuses since this morning and everyone pops when I pull the switch out.

chrisrothjr

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
I have found the issue. The guy before me set the height indicators on the taillight system and the draw kept blowing the fuse. Thank you again for the help.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I have found the issue. The guy before me set the height indicators on the taillight system and the draw kept blowing the fuse. Thank you again for the help.

Height indicators? What do you mean?

chrisrothjr

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Height indicators? What do you mean?

I was reading a manual and these were referred to as 'height indicators'

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Oh ok. I've only ever seen those referred to as clearance lights. Gotcha though. Understandable why they would be blowing the fuse. Now I'm curious how my OEM lights are wired.

chrisrothjr

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Oh ok. I've only ever seen those referred to as clearance lights. Gotcha though. Understandable why they would be blowing the fuse. Now I'm curious how my OEM lights are wired.

Well today I was told I don't have tail lights. Thankfully it was some guy behind me and not a police officer. Haven't made a full attempt @ solving the problem yet. But have determined it's not a fuse problem. So sadly I have to find the problem. Any ideas on what to test first?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Ok so have you done the following:

1. Disconnected the clearance lights from the system completely? I mean actually cut the wire off the taillight harness wherever he spliced it in?

2. Verified 12v at the fuse, and at the taillight bulb sockets?

3. Verified you have good grounds at the sockets?

4. Verified you do not have any broken wires or any short-to-grounds?

5. Silly, but are you sure your bulbs are any good? :shrug:

Those are the first troubleshooting steps I can think of. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli