Lift Laws for all states!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I remember the crackdown for no mudflaps in arizona. My state limits the height of your body depending on the weight of your vehicle?!?

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Some cops care, some don't. My ex had my dodge one day, 10'' wide rims so the tires stuck out 1.5''. Cop busted her. She played dumb (and probably sucked him off for all i know the dirty tramp :) )and got away with a warning.

Other than that I have never been bothered by the law or inspections. Just alot of middle fingers and brake checks from the cars infront of me due to the headlights.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
She played dumb (and probably sucked him off for all i know the dirty tramp :) )and got away with a warning.

HAHA, well said hahaha. I have one of those ex's too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Great Info. OK does not have any lift laws or light limits. Must be an off roading state. Yep, these rednecks here Git'rDone when it comes to wheeling and mudding.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I don't put much faith in what it says for wv. I live here and have heard it from sticker places myself, yet what their site says contradicts itself and what I've been told.

for example...

wv has no lift limits on suspension, then for bumpers it says bumper height has to be 31 inches, well dddooohhh there's a suspension lift limit then however much lift you can throw on it without having the bumper over 31 inches!!!!

Then it says you can have additional lights, like driving lights and such, well the guy that did our inspections sticker on dad's 4x4 said NO, you cannot have ANY offroad ish kinda lights on it at all. Now they do have a height and all requirement it says and we would have been above it, but the sticker guy said NONE period, no matter if they were in the height requirements or not. I saw no mention of body lift other then it said wv requires the floors to be 3 inches above the frame? wtf does that mean? Stock floors aint 3 inches above the frame. Maybe the bottom of the frame.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You guys cant have any auxiliary light?

FresnoK5er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't put much faith in what it says for wv. I live here and have heard it from sticker places myself, yet what their site says contradicts itself and what I've been told.

for example...

wv has no lift limits on suspension, then for bumpers it says bumper height has to be 31 inches, well dddooohhh there's a suspension lift limit then however much lift you can throw on it without having the bumper over 31 inches!!!!

Then it says you can have additional lights, like driving lights and such, well the guy that did our inspections sticker on dad's 4x4 said NO, you cannot have ANY offroad ish kinda lights on it at all. Now they do have a height and all requirement it says and we would have been above it, but the sticker guy said NONE period, no matter if they were in the height requirements or not. I saw no mention of body lift other then it said wv requires the floors to be 3 inches above the frame? wtf does that mean? Stock floors aint 3 inches above the frame. Maybe the bottom of the frame.

This information comes straight from the laws in wv. You CAN lift your vehicle as high as you want and move the bumpers down. As for the frame being 3 inches above the frame they are talking about the bottom of the frame. This really is for the guys body dropping their 2wd's. They really did not need to add this information as it is confusing.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea how stupid would that look one jacked way up then a lowered bumper. They'd still bust ya for trying to pull one over on them. I know good and well they told me you cannot pass inspection with aftermarket lights, they made me go home and take them off.

Now driving lights on 2wds and cars, fog lights, backup lights, running lights and markers they don't seem to say anything on those. When you raise one you have to have a modified sticker here and that inspection is tough and they told me could not have the roll bar lights, said I couldn't have roof lights, push bar lights nothing. Kinda stupid, regular inspection sticker they barely check anything, modified they are dicks and won't let you have lights. Wv is stupid, at least logan co. is.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
What a bunch of bs, over here it seems like there is no rules.

FresnoK5er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with making a bumper lower than the stock one. I've seen it done countless times to be within the law. It's strickly for the safety of who you might hit in an accident. Same with moving the headlights down to stay within the law where it applies.
Obviously the guy who told you to take the lights off the front of your truck did not know the law. That or you did not have the covers on the lights.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have heard WV can be real dicks, but I think I'd have to argue with the ***** that said you could NOT have any additional lights. Find it you own Vehicle Code and then take to him and tell him to shove it up his ass, or go to another station that really knows the law. Even CA allows aux lights, BUT, they must be covered if you are on public road. As far as bumper, sure, you can lower your bumper to 31 and still lift the truck. There is good reason for that. Same reason big rigs have to have a DOT drop on the rear of all trailers. To keep a car from rear ending you, going under your vehicle and decapitating its passengers. Or in the front, you going over the top of a car, with a 31 height, you are more likely to crunch it or push rather than go over the trop. You can drop your bumper just like the DOT drops on a big rig trailer. It wouldn't look so bad. Chances are you could also incorporate it with a drop hitch too if you have a trailer to tow.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I would think he knows the law since he's an inspector and the one to see about a modified sticker or regular one and what he says goes, and makes the difference whether or not you get a sticker.

He was mad about it too, he said the new jeeps have them stock and are perfectly legal but he cannot put a sticker on any other vehicle that does not come with them from the factory if the lights are on it, covered or not. No matter what height and all.

Around here they are dumb, some pick at painted lights others don't, some pick at window tint, others could care less. it's hit and miss here.

As for bumpers sorry I just think a huge truck lifted with 38's or bigger like on a square body with bumpers hanging down low or huge ones that go from the grille down to 31 inches looks terrible. I know ppl have done it but I would not. I know alot of guys who had big tires on squares like 37's or bigger and put some small tires on them to get their sticker lol, like a set of 235's.

FresnoK5er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it looks terrible too. But it's a way to put the BIG lift on your rig and get away with it. Inspector sounds like a dumb ass. I'd take a list of laws with me to the inspection if I lived there.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I don't have to worry about it anymore, that truck is long gone. But if I lift mine then I'll have to print them all off to be safe, although I don't have any lights on mine now.

I can definately understand the safety fact of lowered bumpers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottyray