Let's debate it ...oil pumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh Helm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7 vortec
No burnouts smoke um out ...better then raid and more fun
:burnout:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I believe a lot confusion comes from Fords. 70's Ferd BBs like the 390, 460, THEY had bad oiling systems. The oil ports in the crank journals didn't line up with the bearing shells. That was remedied by installing the bearing in the journal, and scribe the cast that was visible and then remove bearing and with a die grinder open the oil ports.
And then use a high volume (not high pressure) pump.
70's BB Ferds NEEDED a HV pump to live.
You know way too much about foreds, you scare me!!!

Josh Helm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7 vortec
I'll second that ...i was going mention that earlier ...but back to my point in the first place ..has anyone who has choose to run a high volume..or like I did high pressure ...had and failures first hand ..i want actually facts not my brothers. best friend's cousion had a motor melt down cause of one... i except theoretical talk as well ...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've ran a couple high pressure pumps before. That was before I knew better. I still have one of them and it's been fine for years and has not experienced any oil leaks. I remember though that when I bought the pump, the guy at Jegs recommended it and not a HV pump because I was running a stock pan.

I later on forgot this advice though. I "gasket overhauled" a 2.8 V6 from a Fiero, to go into a Chevy Celebrity. I later on sold this car to a friend. He wound up running it low on oil and killed it from the oil starvation. I'm almost positive that if it had a standard pump, it would have survived due to having more oil in the pan.

...but on the other hand, he also managed to kill the trans at the same time. So it's possible that he wasn't paying attention driving down the highway with it in 2nd gear because the trans failed or something. I guess I'll never really know what went wrong.

At any rate, it's stock pumps for me now.

Josh Helm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7 vortec
Well on that note makes feel a little better because I have a 1 quart Over stock size pan in my truck right now Moroso to be in fact

Josh Helm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7 vortec
I could see where that could be a issue at 80 psi ...to end up pushing all oil out of the pan ..if that's my only thing I have to watch for ...i guess I got it covered with the oil pan as it is and I sent my screen almost touching the bottom of the pan think it was like 3/8 of bottom is where I tacked it

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I know Im coming from the point of a 4th gen engine, but my LS1 had 500 hp that I spun to 7k all the time on a stock oil pump with 160k miles on it. Never once did I double guess it.

Josh Helm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7 vortec
I nvr stated that i did not belive in gms stock pumps ..my problem was I went on a giant shopping spree and got a hellva deal on the high pressure with the moroso pan and pump drive combo so got and said **** it...i am not dropping pan to change it at this point ..it all broke in and thrash coupke times and no leaks ..but if I burn up the 4k I got in motor cause of it boy that'll be a expensive lesson learned ..

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Last edited:

Josh Helm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7 vortec
Well I bet you were busy all the time then lol :gathering:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Y this thread has no pictures?

You must be registered for see images attach

I found that spider on the edge of my porch after work @0630.
Its back is full of babies...

I spray the porch with poison...
The LAST spider (like that) I found on my porch, I killed and immediately felt terrible about it.

So I decided to catch and release that spider. Live and let die and ****, right?

On a different street.

I maybe saw the dad as I was leaving for work tonight and tried but failed to catch him. I was gonna be late to work so I could drop him in the same spot as the other one...the poison may still get him.

Tried to do the right thing and maybe ended up destroying a family by creating a widow and orphans.

FML and Screw Paul McCartney - sorry spider!
:(
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Josh Helm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
5.7 vortec
see 60 miles per hour at 1200 RPMs I am running 50 psi of oil pressure

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
IMO, high volume is the way to go. I think the ole 10 psi per 1000 revs is a good rule of thumb. Hi volume moves more oil across the bearings and other oiled items, moving more heat away. An oil pump generating hi pressure requires more power to turn, which in turn makes more heat, so, IMO, it's a wash having too hi a pressure and hi volume, the higher pressure causing more heat which the oil has to carry away from critical parts, heating the higher volume of oil going over the parts. Me, I'd go hi volume and stick to about 10 psi per 1000 revs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06