LED Round Headlight Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
I decided to upgrade to LED headlights. I've been searching through many brands and think I've found the one I'm going to purchase. I don't know much about LED headlights and I wasn't sure which brand, etc. I found a pair at Headlight Experts that has the glass housing and uses Phillips Lumiled ZES LED's for the bulbs. They also have a lifetime warranty. They are 4,000 lumens per bulb and have a 6000k Color Temperature, which I believe is the bright white. They are also "plug and play". Has anyone used this brand or have any input on other brands? I want the glass housing and bright white color. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here's the link to the one's I'm considering. https://www.headlightexperts.com/h6024-dual-beam-sealed-beam-led-headlight-conversion-kit

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I'm not any help but I'd like to hear from others and you, if you get them. I like that they look like a regular headlight versus:
You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have the Hella H4 7" round glass housings and was using halogen bulbs for quite a while with the LMC headlight relay harness. Worked well, but had to replace relays about once year. Wanted something that would draw less watts and make the relays last longer.

A few weeks ago I installed some Osram H4 gen 2 cool white 6K LED bulbs. I wanted to buy something from a "real" light bulb manufacturer and not some random China warehouse. Phillips made some nice looking ones also- but they were twice as expensive. I bought the pair for $89 and it looks like they went up since then.

I thought the beam pattern was very nice with them- I like the low beam better than the halogen. It had a wider "hot spot". The high beams are not as good as the halogen, but I was running 100W halogen bulbs... so not a typical comparison. The cutoff beam on the low beam was sharper on the halogen. The LED had a little bit of "fuzz" above the cutoff angle. So I aimed them slightly down from where the halogens were aimed. Driven it twice at night an no one has flashed me.

The thing I didn't really like was the LED bulb sticks out way more than a conventional halogen bulb where the only thing that sticks out of the headlight housing is the bulb contact spade connections. For the hella headlights they use a rubber cover/gasket to keep water out of the housing. With the halogen bulb installed it looks like this:

The LEDs don't have just 3 little contact tabs...

This well-made aluminum housing made me have to cut up the cup/gasket and fit it around the LED bulb. Not my finest work, but should last just fine and keep water and moisture out.

Halogen vs LED.

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@77 K20 ... LED on the left I am assuming? I have the Hella housings also. Didn't think or realize that you could just stick an LED bulb in those housings. Interesting...

Now I am looking at doing LED headlights in my Monte. Dang forums...

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
@77 K20 ... LED on the left I am assuming? I have the Hella housings also. Didn't think or realize that you could just stick an LED bulb in those housings. Interesting...

Now I am looking at doing LED headlights in my Monte. Dang forums...

Yes, the LED is on the left. The LED just installs the same way pretty much as the halogen bulb. Only difference is the little wire keepers that hold it in place need to be maneuvered around the heat sink part of the LED bulb.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Staring into a headlight doesn't tell you much about the bulbs. So here are some pictures of the pattern on my garage door. Ignore how the LED pattern is lower. In my haste to remove the old headlight I mistakenly turned the adjustment screw at the top. I re-aligned them with measurements later on a flat surface at work.

When researching these LED bulbs I couldn't find any beam pattern pictures with a reflector headlight. Most used them in projector headlights.

Low beams: the LED bulb has a wider pattern.

High beams: Not as much light as the 100W halogen high beam.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Staring into a headlight doesn't tell you much about the bulbs. So here are some pictures of the pattern on my garage door. Ignore how the LED pattern is lower. In my haste to remove the old headlight I mistakenly turned the adjustment screw at the top. I re-aligned them with measurements later on a flat surface at work.

When researching these LED bulbs I couldn't find any beam pattern pictures with a reflector headlight. Most used them in projector headlights.

Notice how the halogen stops at the cut off…look above the LED. I saw a 300 some dollar kit that claims to be the proper design and look original but I haven’t sprung for it lol

your housing was made for halogens and it’s hard, not impossible probably, to find a bulb that works but has a proper spit out of light. There are different designs of bulbs snd you have to find someone who discovered a bulb or do your own research and trials or run xenons or blue filter halogens. Although not the same blue filter halogens are immensely safer at least for me because the contrast is the biggest reason I use LED headlights. Warm lighting is too easy to blend objects and stuff. Why do office buildings snd productivity centered things use fluorescent lighting most often that was cool? Less energy yes but the whiter light is just better for being awake and productive and sharp, clear visibility.
People may feel like they just met god when they enter my car but it’s sure nice actually being able to see when I’m looking for something inside it

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Thank you for the comparison! Right now my truck doesn't use it's headlights enough to actually justify the upgrade. But like I said, my Monte is almost on the road again and that is going to be my psuedo daily driver in the summer. So knowing led bulbs work in reflector housings that well is encouraging.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thank you for the comparison! Right now my truck doesn't use it's headlights enough to actually justify the upgrade. But like I said, my Monte is almost on the road again and that is going to be my psuedo daily driver in the summer. So knowing led bulbs work in reflector housings that well is encouraging.
You either didn’t look closely, didn’t read my reply, or just don’t care about others or safety. Don’t let me catch you cursing over blinding headlights lol

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I tried to find the pictures of beam pattern from back when I first installed the hella h4 headlight housings compared to the original sealed beam headlights. Can't find them...
There was pretty much no cutoff on the sealed beams. As long as the headlights are properly aimed so far I think they are fine. I followed a friend of mine at night and he said they were not annoying in his mirrors. And with a lifted truck typically headlights are annoying when following someone.

I've found that having a super sharp cutoff line on the HIDs of my other cars get drivers flashing me from the other direction more. Hit a few bumps and the headlight beam momentarily points higher up and it catches the oncoming drivers attention. Can look like I'm flashing my high beams even when I'm not. So they in turn flash their high beams at me.

This type of pattern:

One thing I noticed with the H4 housings is they develop a "fog" inside of them. Supposedly this happens because they are not a sealed beam headlight- there are still some vent holes under that rubber cover. With halogen bulbs they get very hot- and the whole housing gets very hot. When the lights are shutoff and as things cool they draw air back into them. It brings along dust and whatever humidity the air has. Eventually you get a layer of dirt that makes the headlight foggy.
The LEDs do not get as hot at all- so that fog shouldn't happen.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I tried to find the pictures of beam pattern from back when I first installed the hella h4 headlight housings compared to the original sealed beam headlights. Can't find them...
There was pretty much no cutoff on the sealed beams. As long as the headlights are properly aimed so far I think they are fine. I followed a friend of mine at night and he said they were not annoying in his mirrors. And with a lifted truck typically headlights are annoying when following someone.

I've found that having a super sharp cutoff line on the HIDs of my other cars get drivers flashing me from the other direction more. Hit a few bumps and the headlight beam momentarily points higher up and it catches the oncoming drivers attention. Can look like I'm flashing my high beams even when I'm not. So they in turn flash their high beams at me.

This type of pattern:

One thing I noticed with the H4 housings is they develop a "fog" inside of them. Supposedly this happens because they are not a sealed beam headlight- there are still some vent holes under that rubber cover. With halogen bulbs they get very hot- and the whole housing gets very hot. When the lights are shutoff and as things cool they draw air back into them. It brings along dust and whatever humidity the air has. Eventually you get a layer of dirt that makes the headlight foggy.
The cut off does do t he phenomena you said, but is it better to periodically flash the drivers or to blind them the entire danger stretch oncoming to them? Also, that problem wouldn’t be so bad if cars actually had a god damn suspension these days. You see how many cars have a high ground clearance, no tire sidewalk, and a very short travel? Then bolstered stiff seats on everything down to a fiesta.

No wonder headlights shoot up so much…

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

This type of pattern:

The cut off does do t he phenomena you said, but is it better to periodically flash the drivers or to blind them the entire danger stretch oncoming to them? Also, that problem wouldn’t be so bad if cars actually had a god damn suspension these days. You see how many cars have a high ground clearance, no tire sidewalk, and a very short travel? Then bolstered stiff seats on everything down to a fiesta.

No wonder headlights shoot up so much…

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
I finally purchased the LED headlight conversion kit for my C10 from headlight experts. Everything appears to be good quality. The glass headlights have the "fluting" parttern on the lens as required by SAE / DOT to direct the beam correctly and not blind oncoming traffic. I was going to install them today but I'm trying to get clarification from headlight experts on the proper orientation. Most of the internet says to clock the LEDs to the 3 and 9 o'clock position. I saw some videos that specifically mentioned the headlight experts LEDs and they said to clock them at 12 and 6 o'clock positions with the low beam aiming up. Of course there were no instructions included in the box and their website does not have them either. I emailed them but being a holiday weekend, I may not hear back from them until Tuesday. I might just go install them and keep clocking them until it's correct. Also, they included the rubber boots. I can't figure out how to install them. It seems like they would interfere with the heat sinks and cooling fan. Has anyone installed the boots or do you just leave them off?

EDIT: I went online to the headlight experts webpage and used their "chat" feature. They confirmed the 12 and 6 o'clock led positioning with the low beam up. They also sent me an email showing the boot install. The LED bulb base is removable and the boot installs between the base and heat sink. Some rubber trimming may be required. I'm going to install them tomorrow.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I finally purchased the LED headlight conversion kit for my C10 from headlight experts. Everything appears to be good quality. The glass headlights have the "fluting" parttern on the lens as required by SAE / DOT to direct the beam correctly and not blind oncoming traffic. I was going to install them today but I'm trying to get clarification from headlight experts on the proper orientation. Most of the internet says to clock the LEDs to the 3 and 9 o'clock position. I saw some videos that specifically mentioned the headlight experts LEDs and they said to clock them at 12 and 6 o'clock positions with the low beam aiming up. Of course there were no instructions included in the box and their website does not have them either. I emailed them but being a holiday weekend, I may not hear back from them until Tuesday. I might just go install them and keep clocking them until it's correct. Also, they included the rubber boots. I can't figure out how to install them. It seems like they would interfere with the heat sinks and cooling fan. Has anyone installed the boots or do you just leave them off?
I believe the boots are for a braided heat sink ribbon or different type LED or just regular halogen

alsoyouwant to just clock them no matter what because different LEDs work differently. Some have caps on the end some project to the end and onto a splitter some have blah blah etc. just get a 2 side or one chip LED(one side.) never an 3+ side lol

if you can click them and fasten the set screw or tension whatever holds it without removing from the headlights that is your best bet to switch em on and turn them till your low beam pattern is correct. No one can say your orientation is wrong if it produces the right pattern. Then hit the high beams, hopefully the light is still centered where your eyes are but higher than low, not much a deal if they were too blinding.
I know my h4 hella housing had dust boots for the bulb but my fans wouldn’t obviously allow for that. But it was made for an h4 halogen which is pretty anemic at the connection to the housing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704