Lead Additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Have been seeing on google different people talking about using a lead additive to gasoline. Has anyone here used it and what were results and is it safe to use?

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
If you've got early heads from pre unleaded gas era (which I believe started to really hit mainstream in like 73-74) then using a lead additive is a good idea to help protect the exhaust valve seats and keep them from wearing out- take it from me, my 1972 049 Big oval heads had seen their better days, and there was literally nothing left of the exhaust seats that were cut into the heads when it was factory new-which is basically just a seat cut right into the cast of the combustion chamber. The exhaust valves had beat themselves in a few instances across both heads up to .175 deep into what should've been the exhaust seat. Basically junk! l had hardened exhaust seats cut into and installed in mine. Machine shop attributed it to modern fuels, and being improperly set up the last go around by previous owner. He said he does a lot of period correct stuff, where the customer just wants things cleaned up, freshened up and put back together, and he always recommends some type of lead additive where old heads are being ran on modern fuels without hardened seats, or tells them to run aviation fuel, the 100LL, so that there's enough there to protect the valve train components from premature wear otherwise it will destroy the valve seats. And I believe that todays stuff is a lead type substitute of sorts. But it's mostly for nostalgia stuff. most of our squares, I say MOST should never have a need for the stuff, unless you like the smell, like race fuel, then I say dump a few gallons of the good stuff in and give it the go pedal! Lol

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I've used it on old Model T & A's... as their system is a bit different, as they're more primitive. I'm talking 1908 through 1914s The lead raises the octane level, I believe, and less wear on internal engine parts.

On more recent vehicles, like 70s or newer, IDK how they'd be affected. It's not a true lead, just a substitute

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
My truck has original engine. Checked filler neck and do not see signs that the fuel nozzle reducer has been removed so I believe unleaded gas was not used when new.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I say MOST should never have a need for the stuff, unless you like the smell, like race fuel, then I say dump a few gallons of the good stuff in and give it the go pedal! Lol
Ive been dying to dump AV gas in my 78 and do just that because of my love for the smell and curiousity of the improvement gain but mr. Wallet always says no.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Ive been dying to dump AV gas in my 78 and do just that because of my love for the smell and curiousity of the improvement gain but mr. Wallet always says no.

It won't hurt to tell your wallet a time or two to Calm the F Down.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
It won't hurt to tell your wallet a time or two to Calm the F Down.
I could only afford maybe 2 gal a time lol how far could 2 gal go? The local airport its like $7 a gal.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Putting higher octane gas than the engine requires has really no HP increase.

So I've been told.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
This thread has been moved out of the “introduction” subforum and into a more appropriate subforum :waytogo:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've heard from more than a couple older fellas, that on an original engine that had leaded gas run through it for 30+years, the additive isn't needed. Supposedly the exhaust seats become impregnated with lead after a while.

I used to run the additive on a couple cars, so did my dad. We don't use the stuff anymore and everything seems peachy still.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
If you've got early heads from pre unleaded gas era (which I believe started to really hit mainstream in like 73-74) then using a lead additive is a good idea to help protect the exhaust valve seats and keep them from wearing out- take it from me, my 1972 049 Big oval heads had seen their better days, and there was literally nothing left of the exhaust seats that were cut into the heads when it was factory new-which is basically just a seat cut right into the cast of the combustion chamber. The exhaust valves had beat themselves in a few instances across both heads up to .175 deep into what should've been the exhaust seat. Basically junk! l had hardened exhaust seats cut into and installed in mine. Machine shop attributed it to modern fuels, and being improperly set up the last go around by previous owner. He said he does a lot of period correct stuff, where the customer just wants things cleaned up, freshened up and put back together, and he always recommends some type of lead additive where old heads are being ran on modern fuels without hardened seats, or tells them to run aviation fuel, the 100LL, so that there's enough there to protect the valve train components from premature wear otherwise it will destroy the valve seats. And I believe that todays stuff is a lead type substitute of sorts. But it's mostly for nostalgia stuff. most of our squares, I say MOST should never have a need for the stuff, unless you like the smell, like race fuel, then I say dump a few gallons of the good stuff in and give it the go pedal! Lol
I say *** it and run propane... 11.1 yeeha!

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I've heard from more than a couple older fellas, that on an original engine that had leaded gas run through it for 30+years, the additive isn't needed. Supposedly the exhaust seats become impregnated with lead after a while.

I used to run the additive on a couple cars, so did my dad. We don't use the stuff anymore and everything seems peachy still.

This is technically true, but if you start taking things apart and cleaning them up and grinding the valves and valve seats then the need for a substitute of some kind becomes a necessity again as the engine guy explained it to me..

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

DO IT! Before I moved from my home town I worked for the county and we maintained the little airport in my home town. I had to test the fuel each day so I carried a couple jars with me to use the leftover fuel in my lawnmower. It made that little 3.5 hp engine run like a top! Since it was a Chevron FastPay there, I would also put 5 gallons in my trucks tanks (had a '65 Chevy and a '79 GMC) and then top off with high octane pump gas. There is a noticeable difference when going down the road. The explosion in the cylinder is more of just that and not flash in the pan like pump gas, so the piston gets more of a push. Back then there was a lot of two-lane highway left in the area so you'd have to pass slower drivers, and it made passing them much easier. It also made sliding around turns on the dirt roads more fun.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
DO IT! Before I moved from my home town I worked for the county and we maintained the little airport in my home town. I had to test the fuel each day so I carried a couple jars with me to use the leftover fuel in my lawnmower. It made that little 3.5 hp engine run like a top! Since it was a Chevron FastPay there, I would also put 5 gallons in my trucks tanks (had a '65 Chevy and a '79 GMC) and then top off with high octane pump gas. There is a noticeable difference when going down the road. The explosion in the cylinder is more of just that and not flash in the pan like pump gas, so the piston gets more of a push. Back then there was a lot of two-lane highway left in the area so you'd have to pass slower drivers, and it made passing them much easier. It also made sliding around turns on the dirt roads more fun.
That sounds awesome! I'm sure cleans out the engine as well, maybe get rid of some deposits?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I do have to say it may be in my head but the E3's seem to make it run stronger. It dont sound as mellow it seems punchier... its hard to explain. Maybe some day soon ill pop in the local airport and grab a few gallons of AV, i have a friend that works there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk