L6 Throttle Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Hi
On an '81 C10 with an L6 the throttle cable makes a complete turn, 360 degree turn, between the firewall and the carb. This creates a lot of friction and makes driving a bit difficult getting the revs just right. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do about it. I already have replaced cable with new, same old, same old.
Thanks bob

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm not sure what an L6 is - inline 6 cylinder? If so it is just like the SBC's as far as the shape of the accelerator cable. If you are having trouble opening the throttle smoothly (getting big jumps up and sudden drops when decelerating) make sure it's not a carb issue. Even though they look strange, the cables - when attached to a smooth operating carb and a free pedal - always slide smoothly within their housings.

Sometimes people, with the best of intentions (maybe to achieve a more professional look) deliberately force the cable into a straight line from the firewall to the carburetor's anchor bracket.

When they do that, the design shape (and flexibility) are lost. That - what should I call it - half corkscrew/pigtail turn, is necessary to compensate for lateral misalignment.

There is almost a foot of offset between the firewall penetration and the clamping point at the bracket.

So making it run directly from the firewall hole to the bracket (and then forcing it to make a hard dogleg left from the bracket to the throttle arm) is just asking for kinking and binding issues.

You can't easily pull and push stiff steel cable through hard turns on a single plane - any turns need to have that roller coaster look to it.

Last edited:

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Yes L6 = inline 6, yes throttle cable makes a full loop on its way to the carb. Carb operates smoothly as does the pedal, it still requires lots of pressure to open carb and accelerate. Maybe I'll pack the outer housing with grease and hope that helps.
Thanks, bob

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Check out the discussion on lubricating lock cylinders (2 below this) - bottom line - you might achieve better results with graphite rather than grease.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Could it be an issue with where the cable is routed, like can it go another way? I've owned an L6 truck and driven several others, the throttle never seemed to bind on any of them.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Could be a excessively stiff return spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare