Kill switch ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I got a cool thing I could show you but it's in a box full of parts and I don't feel like digging through it right this minute. But I posted here so I'll remember to do it one day.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ahh!
See?

I feel better after a nap. :waytogo:

A buddy gave me this deal called a PROLOCK.

I believe you wire it into your truck and it has a thing that you remove to disable the truck.
Don't know anything else about it except it's different and unique ? (never seen one before)

I googled it and this is the first result link.

https://www.brentwoodcaraudio.com/Prolock_Car_Keys_p/prolock key pack.htm

Hope this helps!

You must be registered for see images attach

It's all about that purple wire...i'll show you what's in the blue truck right now..hold on.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I bet really good money the guy I bought the truck from never knew this was in there.

(OR what it is/does)

SUPER SIMPLE but not terrible handy...albeit very effective / alternative starter disable.
That there is how you do it.

Last edited:

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ahh!
See?

I feel better after a nap. :waytogo:

A buddy gave me this deal called a PROLOCK.

I believe you wire it into your truck and it has a thing that you remove to disable the truck.
Don't know anything else about it except it's different and unique ? (never seen one before)

I googled it and this is the first result link.

https://www.brentwoodcaraudio.com/Prolock_Car_Keys_p/prolock key pack.htm

Hope this helps!

It's all about that purple wire...i'll show you what's in the blue truck right now..hold on.
My VW came with something like that, I'm pretty sure the dealer installed it. Never really used it, just left it plugged in most of the time, unless we were in a crappy part of town, or going to be away for a few days.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Good ideas folks, thanks for the inspiration!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Rusty Nail back in the late 90's and early 2000's it was a standard part of the dealer prep in my area for all new cars to get a Prolock device.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
@Rusty Nail back in the late 90's and early 2000's it was a standard part of the dealer prep in my area for all new cars to get a Prolock device.

Yeah, I bought a new car in '95 and the Prolock was already installed but they wanted me to pay around $65 to leave it "enabled". Smelled like a scam so I told them they could keep it, whatever the heck it was. When I got home I figured out all they did was remove the flat key thing so a paperclip became my new key to disable the ignition when necessary.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A long time ago I asked one of my customers who worked at a stereo/alarm shop what alarm to get.His answer instant on no lights no stickers and leave your doors unlocked.They open the door and leave, otherwise they first try to disable the alarm or break in and damage something before the alarm goes off.Id alarm it like that.Id also put an interupt on the fuel line, a mechanical or electric valve to shut off fuel. They get in they get started now their sitting in the middle of the street trying to figure out what happened, instead of sitting unnoticed somewhere, hooking a hot wire to the dizzy and shorting the solenoid..I guarantee you I can start and drive a square body in under a minute with 1 wire and a quarter.I don't care how killed power to the starter or dizzy.

Last edited:

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have been known to pop the purple connector off my trucks steering column. It lays there like it’s still connected. But truck no worky. If I’m going outta town and don’t want my family driving my ****. Unplugged she gets.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
You don't know how many dreams I've had of going outside and my vehicles have been stolen. I'm even telling myself in the dream that it's not really stolen but, it doesn't work until I wake up and find out it's a dream. Lol

Haha, it happened again Sat. I walk out to the driveway and the camaro is gone. Lol Wtf

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I have been thinking about a kill switch as well. Disabling the fuel pump may work best for me. I do have a built in deterrent. 5 speed manual.

My key switch stopped working years ago and I wired a push button that is not visible. You still need the key to start it but it won't activate the starter. After that its also a manual so I will be keeping my push button start.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
I really hate car alarms, they always seem to be waking me up because people forget about them, or a cat, possum, raccoon, or dog jumps and sets it off. I drive most every day, so I had a blinking red led bulb put into my dash(it blinked when the ignition was off). Every time the car set the blinking light was on. I watched people take a look and walk away. Whether or not they wanted my car, I don't know, but it sure made them think.

Blue84

Reaction score
First Name
Jimmie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K30
Engine Size
5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have a battery disconnect switch under the drivers wheel well. It's tucked up high so it can't be seen. Works great.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a battery disconnect switch under the drivers wheel well. It's tucked up high so it can't be seen. Works great.
I’m not a fan if you don’t have the memory on the stereo wired directly to the batt. If you have that resolved more power to you. Seen too many where the stereo is all confused after this trick.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
My truck is getting a MPFI 454. Part of the swap is wiring up the factory harness with lots of modifications for the various options and changes I'm making. I'm adding a disconnect switch for the ECU power and a momentary for the starter. Even if they can hotwire it to crank, it won't start without the right pins on the ECU getting power. I'm also thinking about getting one of those GPS trackers. Its not a problem in my area to get through to the sheriffs or police and if they somehow managed to get it running and drove off with it, it would be good to find it fast so they didn't tear it up too much

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee