Keyed the same ignition switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Any body ever heard of such? Do they exist? Can a feller find them?
Be awful nice to have.

Thanks guys

Shakey

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
If the ignition is wore out, multiple keys may work. I always keep all my old GM keys and go through them when I have something I don't have a key for usually one works.

I understand that's not really what you're asking for

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Lock mechanism on these trucks is simple, and a locksmith can usually rekey them very quickly to match whatever you want. I used to go to a pick and pull where the guy pulled up a mobile truck each day and rekeyed locks for folks buying stuff from the yard.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Lock mechanism on these trucks is simple, and a locksmith can usually rekey them very quickly to match whatever you want. I used to go to a pick and pull where the guy pulled up a mobile truck each day and rekeyed locks for folks buying stuff from the yard.

So the right locksmith can make it where 1 key would start, turn the ignition, on say 5 vehiceles?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So the right locksmith can make it where 1 key would start, turn the ignition, on say 5 vehiceles?
Should be no problem. I've been told that all CUCV's use the same key. Not sure if that is true, but it explains the chain and padlock bolted under the drivers sear of mine:)

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Should be no problem. I've been told that all CUCV's use the same key. Not sure if that is true, but it explains the chain and padlock bolted under the drivers sear of mine:)

Guess I need to find a locksmith.

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
Yes all CUCV use the same key for all locks. That's the first thing I changed on mine.
As far as recoding the ignition I've never done one. They are serviced by a new precoded cylinder.
The door locks can be recoded to whatever u want. Have had many recoded at the dealer I work at.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Yes all CUCV use the same key for all locks. That's the first thing I changed on mine.
As far as recoding the ignition I've never done one. They are serviced by a new precoded cylinder.
The door locks can be recoded to whatever u want. Have had many recoded at the dealer I work at.

So... where can I get 5 or 6 CUCV ignition key switches?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Don’t make this harder than it needs to be.

If you have a key for each ignition, just pop out the switch (check the repair manual for the method) for each truck and take all five to a locksmith. Pick your favorite key and have him/her key all the switches to match that one. I don’t know how much they will charge you, but it’s a quick, simple job if the lock cylinders are out of the trucks.

I have rekeyed locks myself, but you need an assortment of pins so that you can make every pin position match in each lock cylinder. Locksmiths also have decoder that they push in the locks and it tells them the key code to use.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Most older GM cars have this key coding. The square ignition key usually has one type of code and the round door key will have another. The codes changed every year. See the link for the breakdown. Back in the day we had 1989 Caprice patrol cars. The ignition and doors were keyed using a single round key.

Lets say you have an "A" ignition key, you will need "A" ignitions for all your vehicles as the profile needs to be the same for the key to fit. Napa and others carry replacements. You need to just buy ones with the same code.

http://www.carlocksandkeys.com/blog...-motors-lettered-square-and-round-key-blanks/

You must be registered for see images attach

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Most older GM cars have this key coding. The square ignition key usually has one type of code and the round door key will have another. The codes changed every year. See the link for the breakdown. Back in the day we had 1989 Caprice patrol cars. The ignition and doors were keyed using a single round key.

Lets say you have an "A" ignition key, you will need "A" ignitions for all your vehicles as the profile needs to be the same for the key to fit. Napa and others carry replacements. You need to just buy ones with the same code.

http://www.carlocksandkeys.com/blog...-motors-lettered-square-and-round-key-blanks/

You must be registered for see images attach

Cool, Thanks!! I will see about rounding up some like lettered tumblers and a locksmith.
Appreciate the info!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones