Keep getting bad alternators??? On #4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cardone is hit and miss. Some parts there's no other option.

Think they quit selling rebuilt carbs but back when they did, I always asked the counter person if they had more than 1 because it usually took a couple to get a usable part. Only bought them when linkage was missing or had broken housings. Almost all of them needed work of some sort, never was an easy bolt.
I bought a rebuilt 2bbl carb in the 1980s,it didn't run well,I bought a carb kit and replaced the accelerator pump.It ran fine then.Apparently the carb was cleaned and not properly done at the factory.I couldn't do a warranty replacement at the time.A few years ago I was buying several Cardone master cylinders that were bad.Usually only lasted 6 to 10 months.The store clerk made the comment at the end,saying they had a lot of Cardone returns.Thanks for letting me know that ahead of time bud.

silver123

Reaction score
First Name
victor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
On 4th alternator on 78 Chevy k10 with factory wiring

All connections / grounds gone through and cleaned
Exciting wire is getting 12v with motor not running
New battery
New 2 gauge battery cable to starter

Im thinking battery light in gauge cluster is not doing its thing but mechanic says alt not charging but how can I get 4 bad ones?

Could something be burning them up?
Find a good Rebuilder and your problem will be solved

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Hang in there.

We've all been down the same road here.
Grab a note pad and document each circuit you test and the results, so we can address each test, as you figure it out.
Take pictures as you go.

Others will learn from your thread and hopefully you'll fix a bunch of issues as you move forward.

Post some pictures?

Last edited:

pbrstreetgang

Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Got the Bosch alt on and running around town for past two weeks seemed ok. Put a batt load tester and charging system gauge on and everything tested out good.

Now, at start up I get alternator whine until it runs for a minute or so and then volt meter reads 14v

Is this the beginning of another alt failing?

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
More probably the load from heavy recharging on the bearings, that eases as the battery is replenished, would be my guess.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Try not to over tighten the belt.
Are you "making the face" when you load your belt tension?
I know it sounds rediculous, however many people here have improperly over tightened and ruined the alternator bearings.

Lighten up a bit, make certain there's no squeal and check it again, please?

Your alternator should not be re-charging your battery.
Your battery charger should have brought your battery up above 12v before you installed anything.

4 wire alternators need to see 12v or they do NOT charge anything.
Always best to make certain the battery is fully capable and full charge before testing.

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got the Bosch alt on and running around town for past two weeks seemed ok. Put a batt load tester and charging system gauge on and everything tested out good.

Now, at start up I get alternator whine until it runs for a minute or so and then volt meter reads 14v

Is this the beginning of another alt failing?
I had one that whined like that for about 1 week maybe,and the whining stopped.It turned out to be a good one

hwyix

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
6L
On 4th alternator on 78 Chevy k10 with factory wiring

All connections / grounds gone through and cleaned
Exciting wire is getting 12v with motor not running
New battery
New 2 gauge battery cable to starter

Im thinking battery light in gauge cluster is not doing its thing but mechanic says alt not charging but how can I get 4 bad ones?

Could something be burning them up?

I used to be a mechanic. Somethings you have to buy OEM. Starters, alternators. Cats if you want them to last 7+ years, Some cars finkey about o2 sensors.
Brake pads if it's a nice car and that type of customer might complain about a little bit of noise.

I don't use OEM pads because I know the car is still going to stop and I prefer high performance pads. That's had to explain to a know car person customer driving her new Lexus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly