K5 easy top removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NicBop03

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1988, 1990, 1987, 1973
Truck Model
K5 Blazer, R1500 Suburban, V10 Suburban, C30 Pickup
Engine Size
5.7L 350ci
I have an 88 K5 and I have taken the top off a couple of times. When I'm home I can take it off myself using the contraption in the picture I posted, but I'd like to be able to go camping and be able to take it off and on without 2 or 3 peoples help. It's really easy to do it at home but not very portable. Anyone have any ideas or contraptions of their own?

You must be registered for see images attach

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Sadly I don't, but hopefully someone does. This is probably the biggest thing preventing me from getting a k5.

I worked with a guy a couple seasons ago that had a kickin 75 Blazer, we used to camp and shoot etc. every weekend and I spent the whole season trying to convince him to take the back off. He adamantly refused because it was such a PITA he said it would never be worth it, LOL

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've had 3 K5's over the years, I only ever took the top off of one of them. Besides lifting the thing off and on, that's a lot of bolts to screw with.

I friend of mine had a K5, he used to be capable of removing the top by himself. I watched him do it once too, it still amazes me.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Softopper maybe

Or bring a hoist and park under a tree. My 70 year old dad can get a 250 hog off the ground with one, no problem.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Like this one...
You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ask me later after it warms up.
<- single guy has a plan to remove the top under a carport, by himself and will gladly share with all of yous.
I have the new 4 piece weatherstrip kit (BNIB) too!

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
When I was younger I frequently took mine off and put it on by myself but I'm not as strong as I used to be so what I am in the process of making is an attachment made of some lumber that will attach to my engine hoist, and then I can just wheel it through the back window, pump it up with the hydraulic jack, and lift it off and roll the hoist away. I just have not gotten around to it because it's been winter and I have not been missing with my Jimmy too much. Weather is starting to warm up and I am starting to fiddle with some things so I will probably make it in the next month or two and follow up best I can.

NicBop03

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1988, 1990, 1987, 1973
Truck Model
K5 Blazer, R1500 Suburban, V10 Suburban, C30 Pickup
Engine Size
5.7L 350ci
I definitely agree its an inconvenience when you go camping, but it's such an odd feeling driving a truck with a backseat and no roof. I'll keep looking around I might have an idea since Frankenchevy and yevgenievich mentioned a hitch mounted hoist. Standby for updates

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
I've had quite a few k5 Blazers over the years and never thought removing the top was much trouble. It only takes about a half hour. I would usually recruit help to remove it in spring and to reinstall at the end of summer. I'm in So. Cal. so we usually have great weather during that time. A friend of mine went the soft top route. He can raise and lower his in minutes, without help. If you plan on doing it regularly, I would suggest the soft top route. You could use the soft top during the nice months and put the hard top back on for the more harsh weather in the winter. It's hard to beat the feeling of driving a K5 with the top off.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I'm thinking some rope, a come along or chain hoist, and a tree branch should do it. But I dont own a K5 and have never taken the top off one.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
i'm not a big fan of them but maybe a soft top for the summer and the fiberglass top in winter. i can take the top off of my '72 k5 with my engine hoist by myself but that doesn't help when camping. i like the idea of a hitch mounted lift

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Hitch mounted hoist with a swivel?

That looks like something for our esteemed welders to fabricate!

I sure miss the mid to late '80's when I removed and installed my FULL top by myself.
No gear available.
Thank goodness I can still lift a cold one by myself!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Something like a wheel chair lift or welding bed attachment can be repurposed

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I've had quite a few k5 Blazers over the years and never thought removing the top was much trouble. It only takes about a half hour. I would usually recruit help to remove it in spring and to reinstall at the end of summer. I'm in So. Cal. so we usually have great weather during that time. A friend of mine went the soft top route. He can raise and lower his in minutes, without help. If you plan on doing it regularly, I would suggest the soft top route. You could use the soft top during the nice months and put the hard top back on for the more harsh weather in the winter. It's hard to beat the feeling of driving a K5 with the top off.

Half hour? You need to get a battery powered ratchet. It takes me about 5 minutes to take all the bolts off mine now days and that includes climbing around all the junk I have stored in it right now because it isn't running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia