Underside of hood coating ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I’m currently doing a purpose built restoration (daily street/off-road use/not show quality) on my ‘83 K5. I’d like to hear ideas on how to coat the underside of the hood. I have sanded it down, sprayed Eastwood internal frame coating (only green was available) inside the cavities. Should I also spray a rubberized coating inside the cavities or should I just prime and paint everything at this point? Or, has anyone sprayed the entire underside with rubberized truck bed coating? Other considerations, sound deadening coatings, stiffening coatings to stiffen the hood outer skin, heat tolerant thermal ceramic coatings, ease of coating removal during the next restoration, rust inhibitor coating…? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8360.jpeg
    IMG_8360.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 40

sickchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Just my opinion but the rubberized coating is extremely hard to get back off. I used these 2k products from eastwood. They are ceramic based 2 part so its tough as nails.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I’m currently doing a purpose built restoration (daily street/off-road use/not show quality) on my ‘83 K5. I’d like to hear ideas on how to coat the underside of the hood. I have sanded it down, sprayed Eastwood internal frame coating (only green was available) inside the cavities. Should I also spray a rubberized coating inside the cavities or should I just prime and paint everything at this point? Or, has anyone sprayed the entire underside with rubberized truck bed coating? Other considerations, sound deadening coatings, stiffening coatings to stiffen the hood outer skin, heat tolerant thermal ceramic coatings, ease of coating removal during the next restoration, rust inhibitor coating…? Thanks!
Back in the 90's, my best friend had a bedliner business, and I had him spray the underside of the hood of my 65 Suburban(gloss black). Yes it added weight, but it looked killer and sounded very solid. I also had him do the gas tank on my original 65 Chevy II Nova 4 door. Rocks were always hitting the tank, so this protected it very well.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Removing any coating from a surface like that is virtually impossible so consider that.
Otherwise, prep it well and paint it.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I am cautious about the hood, as you see so many that have been bent, so lube the pivot points, I agree with Todd, (Grit Dog), paint, doesn't add weight. I wash my motors a few times a year, so I do not like hood insulation because it does not stand up to the pressure washer, but hood sound deading material, (dynamat) does help keep things quieter.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Paint the sucker! The only “extra” thing I did on mine was I seam sealed all the gaps

You must be registered for see images attach

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Removal of old undercoating is not bad using dry ice.
You could cover it w/ diamond plate.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod