K20 Suburban Flaming River tilt column (also Wolff Engineering bearing)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
The Wolff bearing is awesome- way better than stock. Easy install, great instructions and super silky.

Attachments

• shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 26
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 22

GMC_Nick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350 sbc
The Wolff bearing is awesome- way better than stock. Easy install, great instructions and super silky.
Awesome, just picked up one of these the other day and wondered if I wasted my money or not. Is that a borgeson shaft as well? thought about getting one with a U joint in place of the rag joint.

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
@GMC_Nick it is and its great! But I'm about yank my column as the plastic keeper inside the lower internal shaft (part 41) is broken. Its still snug and likely would be fine- BUT if the inside lower shaft separates from upper shaft esp at hiway speed then game over. Too old to game it ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5288.jpg
    IMG_5288.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 17

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
following :)

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
Ordered a Flaming River column (https://www.flamingriver.com/catalo...lt-column-black-powdercoat-finish/category/2/) and it came overnight- pricy but nice- does not have the cruise control option, but I never used that anyway so now can clean up the engine bay. Pulled the OEM column today and removed that awesome Wolff bearing (let me know if you want to buy it- it has zero miles). Drilled the new shaft for the Borgeson ujoint and tapped it- fits great!

Attachments

• newcol.jpg
    newcol.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 14
  • oldcol.jpg
    oldcol.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 12

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
The upper rubber that covers the space to instrument panel is a bit loose, but the bottom seal fits great as did the OEM shifter linkage grommet. Electrics look spot on except the neutral switch (pin outs are different- OEM wont work either). Will post more as I work it in.

Neutral switch connection for the trans, I just bent the OEM keeper tab out of the way and it fits fine. For the reverse lights, I used a plumbers mini- hack saw to cut the OEM connector down the middle and was able put the two wires where they need to be. Its a shame they didn't just use a stock switch. They also use stainless pan head machine screws and washers which are a pain to fit while under the dash. I used a short rubber hose to hold the screw and washer until started.

When connecting the shift linkage, I had to remove the pan head machine screws and washers and rotate the connection, refit the shift arm then slightly adjust the linkage at the trans. Not hard, just irritating for a column that's supposed to be direct replacement fit. The Flaming river column also does not have the lock plate to lock the steering wheel in place which is disappointing and was not mentioned anywhere.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I was really close to buying one, but I reminded myself that the issue I had with mine coming loose was because the previous owner didn't install the stock replacement correctly. So I, not knowing any better, installed it the same way. Same issue. After I looked at it and figured out the issue, I've not had any play.

Gonna stick with stock

txaggie

Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size
Ordered a Flaming River column (https://www.flamingriver.com/catalo...lt-column-black-powdercoat-finish/category/2/) and it came overnight- pricy but nice- does not have the cruise control option, but I never used that anyway so now can clean up the engine bay. Pulled the OEM column today and removed that awesome Wolff bearing (let me know if you want to buy it- it has zero miles). Drilled the new shaft for the Borgeson ujoint and tapped it- fits great!

I’m about to install a borgeson u joint shaft. Is this necessary to have this Wolff bearing at install as well?

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
@txaggie, you can install a borgeson u-joint shaft without doing anything else. In my case the upper shaft plastic shear pin separated when removing the old shaft. I had to use a hammer to get the old lower shaft off.

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
I was able to get everything hooked up and working, but the Flaming River canceling cam requires modification so the stock wheel and horn will work. It is way too tall and the contact wire wont work for stock.

To modify, first place the cam and spacer under the stock wheel. Next, measure and mark the cam tower at the height where horn buckling spring contact is. Cut the tower just slightly below the contact area so the plastic wont interfere with the buckling spring but is still tall enough to insulate the contact button. Get 7MM copper rod on Amazon and make a button about 1/2 to 5/8 inch long. Install the button spring and test the contact and make sure it moves freely and has good electrical connection. Test fit to the wheel to make sure it wont interfere with the buckling spring. When you are sure its good, fit the cam and spacer onto the column then install wheel. With wheel in place, Install the spring, then the copper button, then install the horn. You don't need the contact pin retainer as the buckling spring holds all in place.

Attachments

• cam exp.jpg
    cam exp.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 7
  • modify.jpg
    modify.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 9
  • in wheel.jpg
    in wheel.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads