Jeep Intermediate Shaft on a Early (79 and down) Column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Heres how I got the Jeep steering shaft to work on my early column.

First I did the normal stuff, took the shaft apart and cleaned it up. Then I took the upper joint, the one that wont match and early column and cut it up to get it off. You'll also have to cut off that smaller crimped section of the shaft as well.

Go to Ebay and order one of these 1"-48 to 1"DD universals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-splin...ash=item4d1493fe97:g:MVkAAOxyXDhSdB2C&vxp=mtr

Put that on the shaft mark the two securing holes and drill them. I drilled mine through and tapped to 5/16-18 to make sure it holds tight. Assemble with red loctite and install. Enjoy, ya its not as cheap as just a Jeep shaft alone but it also isnt almost $300 like the aftermarket stuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Heres the finished pictures....

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have a '75, so the solution looks great. However, since its part of the steering, it would be nice to have more info about the construction and quality of this part.

Did they provide any additional technical information on the part? My concern is that I don't want to use something that was intended for use on a lawnmower as a key part of my truck's steering.

Bruce

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
What you see on the EBay ad is what I know about it. It came sealed in a plastic bag that was in a plain white box with the size that each end of the joint fit printed on it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Do i need to drill a hole through my splined shaft on the column to bolt that joint on?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Do i need to drill a hole through my splined shaft on the column to bolt that joint on?

You can if you like but I just ran the set screws down with red loctite. Has been working fine for me ever since.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
You can if you like but I just ran the set screws down with red loctite. Has been working fine for me ever since.
Good to know because i dont want to mess up my original column. Also do i need to cut the jeep shaft to put on the ebay u joint?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Good to know because i dont want to mess up my original column. Also do i need to cut the jeep shaft to put on the ebay u joint?

Yes after you get the column end joint cut off the shaft you'll see its crimped down. The new joint won't fit right in that so cut it off behind that where it goes back to normal size.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Heres how I got the Jeep steering shaft to work on my early column.

First I did the normal stuff, took the shaft apart and cleaned it up. Then I took the upper joint, the one that wont match and early column and cut it up to get it off. You'll also have to cut off that smaller crimped section of the shaft as well.

Go to Ebay and order one of these 1"-48 to 1"DD universals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-splin...ash=item4d1493fe97:g:MVkAAOxyXDhSdB2C&vxp=mtr

Put that on the shaft mark the two securing holes and drill them. I drilled mine through and tapped to 5/16-18 to make sure it holds tight. Assemble with red loctite and install. Enjoy, ya its not as cheap as just a Jeep shaft alone but it also isnt almost $300 like the aftermarket stuff.

Did you cut the u joint ears off then slide it off?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Ya from what I remember I did. It didn't just slide off though. I used the press at work. There is a rubber isolator in that joint so it was a little tricky to get it apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20