K20 : Rebuilding the axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My axles are 35 yrs old and every seal is wet to a point. There is an old guy locally who is great with these - want to pull my axles and let him do the whole shebang.....bearings, seals - everything. Its better if I take the parts to use as if not, he'll get a 'premium' blister pack AZ, Oreilly, etc brand. Sometimes that works ok (my last set was all USA/Canada made Moog). Sometimes it doesn't.

Is there a premium brand or all in one kit to do the axles complete you fellas prefer? I know Dana, Richmond and Timken all make kits - but not sure how many are still US or Canadaian made. Alot of the newer Gates stuff is now Chi-com, so dunno.

Ever use Amsoil gear lube in the diffs?

Gotta do this truck in stages to keep from standing next to an off ramp with a sign. The drive line, brakes, etc is first up.

TIA

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Being in the machine repair business I can say that a lot of machinery uses SKF and *** bearings. These are high speed high load machines and the bearings last decades when properly taken care of. I'm a die hard Timken fan myself but I have a bit of old school in me.

I've never looked into "kits" per se for wheel bearings and seals. I do know there are kits for the differential. Now-a-days I just go to Rockauto.com and sort what I need. It's usually cheaper than other sites and definitely cheaper than a parts store if you don't need the items right away.

I'm currently sourcing parts to rebuild my front 10 bolt and rear 14 bolt. For the front I can do knuckle out (ball joints, brakes, bearings, etc.) for about $300, and that's both sides included.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
After wasting the last 30yrs working on the older 4-n stuff, SKF's were always top shelf (German or Swedish made). Just gotta watch it as there are also Chinese and Mexico SKF's, which are garbage. **** were also very common.....IIRC, mostly made in Spain or Italy.

My first tool and die job was for Timken - got bearings for all my cars there for nada. lol

I'm a complete noob with these trucks so not sure on what to replace and with what....why I was hoping for a kit. Gotta find an exploded view I guess.

THX!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
In my career I have rebuild many axles. Yes the bearings from China are junk. Just as a side note the bearings from Japan seem to be much better. A quality roller bearing, properly lubed will not wear out. There is the problem though, contaminants in the oil, or lack of oil, bearings start to fail. I have also bought bearing kits from Rockauto. They did list the country of origin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224