Forgot if I put an intro here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew Koetz

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Chevy Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 350 V8 208 T-Case; 10 bolt front 14 bolt semi rear
Hello from the frozen north; aka, MN. where winter sticks around until the end of April/beginning of May. I picked up a 1984 K20 Chevy Suburban last year. Straight away I installed new front U joints in the stub axles for the 4x4 and did a full replacement of the front brake system; rotors, calipers, flex lines. A friend helped me out by installing new wheel studs for me as he works at a machine shop and I lack a press for pressing the old wheel studs out. I still have to change both front & rear differential gear lube. Rear drums were hanging up due to the E brake cable was hanging up on them. If someone held a gun to my head I couldn't do drum brakes to save my own life. In this case I am glad I did. I brought the truck to a local big box shop where they rebuilt the rearr brakes; (this is where I am glad I did this; come to find out the 84 year for Suburbans GM decided it was a novel idea to use 3 different axles with 3 differnt back spacings (they are all 13" drums, but the backspacing was the PITA for the shop, as it was the last order they made to the local GM dealer (and the last set on their order list). Currently I am working on a fuel issue. (engine not getting any gas). It will want to roll over with starting fluid and if I put a little bit of gas down the carb. I am going to pull the main line off the fuel pump (which is new as I replaced it and the steel fuel filter and the carb fuel filter). I will be putting a hise onto the main line on the fuel pump (mechanical) into a gas can to see if it fires. If it doesn't I am going to pop the distibutor cap off and with a friend see if the rotor is turning when I try to start it. If the rotor is turning then my problem will b the sending unit in the tank. I already have the truck on ramps waiting for me to drop the tank (if need be).

Andrew Koetz

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Chevy Suburban
Engine Size
The only rot is thee lower outer rocker panel under the driver side back door. The inner rocker is still solid. This was originally a Texas rancher's truck bought new in 1984. The second owner who drove it up to MN. had a copy of the build sheet which has the dealer's name on it. Almost forgot. I also changed out the steering column due to all 4 of the bolts were loose. I tore the original column down over winter as I installed a replacement column last year from a 89 Suburban a guy was parting out. I am going to rebuild the original column as I have time. I also put the metal parts into Evaporust and "forgot about them" for six months to let the Evaporust do it's thing in gettinng the rust off the parts. All parts look brand new. Just need the time to get it back together.

Attachments

• 1984 Chevy K20 Suburban.jpg
    1984 Chevy K20 Suburban.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 37

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome and nice ‘burb! Keep us updated.

-Chad

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria where Winter sticks around too long too.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I love the color combo. Welcome from NC.

Strickland

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy from Ohio!

Andrew Koetz

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Chevy Suburban
Engine Size
The burb is a transplant from Texas; originally purchased by a Texas rancher "used for going to town"; the clock has over 260,000 on it. I am currently in the middle of having a fuel problem. A friend came over and with a bit of help from him he figured out the truck's "fuel circuit" in the engine bay; there is no issue. The problem is between the tank & the engine bay; He got under it and saw several rubber hoses the same age as the truck & he suggested to start at those and work back towards the tank. The tank still has about 35 gallons of fuel in it & may be a multiple day job between dropping the tank and changing all the hoses out. He suggested there's air getting in through the rubber lines hence no fuel comeing up to the enginee bay from the tank. The ones I can immediately get to have those vile "oem clamps on them. I am putting on new clamps when I put things back together. Other than this mechanical issue; all I have to do is get a few more minor things done in the engine bay & work on the interior and the dash. I have all the parts I need; with the exception of new steel so I can make some new bracketry for a set of running boards I bought used. I bought this truck for when my mom has her shopping for the house to do; she's 88 and gets around in a wheelchair. My backup vehicle currently is a "Swedish Ford"; aka Volvo XC90. I spent more money on the Volvo in repairs than I have on this Suburban. I have to replace valve cover gaskets on the engine when I get time and the transmission pan as well. The burb has been sitting in the driveway for about a week and it's leaked ATF onto the concrete slab. The master cylinder is leaking between the master and the booster as well; that's also part of the mess in my driveway. Lots to work on on this truck. Changing jobs here in two weeks & I will FINALLY have the time to put into the truck to get things done. the other reason I bought this truck was I know they are easy to work on and parts are out there & don't cost an arm & a leg & my first born child. This burb will be a "restoration project" when I get the $ to do it. I will be keeping the two tone paint scheme; just in different colors. I am thinking three different schemes; chinese red and Harbor Mist Gray (thinking the two tone style with the second color in the middle down either side here), Black & harbor mist gray, or else a certain shade of maroon and gold. These three color combinations are representativ of three "fallen flag" railroads.

Last edited:

tater dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
tater
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
i'm digging it mate .

Gardendelite

Reaction score
First Name
Gaetan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A true classic. Can't beat a burb. Welcome aboard from the Pacific North Wet. yep, meant to say wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey