Is this oil pan worth repainting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Yup it's just a rust converter, you still have to prime + paint over it. Anything rust will turn purple, bare metal will just look a little darker but clean. I wouldnt put anything on the inside though. If the inside is rusted I would pitch it, or hang onto it for painting the block.

The inside of the oil pan is rust free. Did find a stink bug in the oil pan after pulling it off the shelf. It was dead and oily too.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I can vouch for the Rustoleum Rust Reformer paint.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Lol I'd just attack it with some Engine paint

Oil pan isn't very visible anyway

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Lol I'd just attack it with some Engine paint

Oil pan isn't very visible anyway

Ya, I'm thinking on just using that Rustoleum Reform Paint and try out that Purple Power stuff on some of the other parts.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
he means just paint it and not rust reformer or any of that stuff.

I've done the same, had a rusty pan that's pitted, just cleaned it off like you did and painted it.

You could or should use some self etch primer or something on it being bare metal. not sure if they got that for engines though.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yea, Is it worth it compared to the purple stuff C4 said to use?
I never used that stuff C4 is talking about. Sound like it works good though.

I must have used over a dozen cans of that rust reformer when repairng my truck panels and frame and it is holding up well, I am actually quite surprised.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
he means just paint it and not rust reformer or any of that stuff.

I've done the same, had a rusty pan that's pitted, just cleaned it off like you did and painted it.

You could or should use some self etch primer or something on it being bare metal. not sure if they got that for engines though.

I got the engine paint primer along with the engine color, old ford blue by Rustoleum.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I never used that stuff C4 is talking about. Sound like it works good though.

I must have used over a dozen cans of that rust reformer when repairng my truck panels and frame and it is holding up well, I am actually quite surprised.

Thanks for the info on rust reformer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, why I asked. if the inside looks like the outside, trash it. If the inside is smooth and shiney or not rusted then purple power it and use it.

manualchoke

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd use muriatic acid on something like that, but I am sometimes an idiot. It's extremely dangerous stuff, but it's cheap and works very well.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
engine primer and self etch or epoxy are 2 different (3 for that matter) things, self etch helps to do just that slightly acid etch the metal since it has some acid in it, to help keep the bare metal from rusting, and any rust there to stop, so the can says. epoxy is even better, I've heard many guys prime with it and have even left them that way and they never rust. now that sounds like good stuff to me.

It's all in the name of trying to keep it from rusting. I have personally used almost every spray primer out there and NOTHING works to stop rust from coming on or getting worse except for the self etch primer, from the body shop supply store. The rustoleum auto primer didn't do crap. We had bare metal on dad's truck, I used it, shortly after it was painted with reg. spray gun paint, not even 6 months later every spot that got primered rusted, came right thru the paint. the other stuff is the same way.

I have never used the engine primer though.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
engine primer and self etch or epoxy are 2 different (3 for that matter) things, self etch helps to do just that slightly acid etch the metal since it has some acid in it, to help keep the bare metal from rusting, and any rust there to stop, so the can says. epoxy is even better, I've heard many guys prime with it and have even left them that way and they never rust. now that sounds like good stuff to me.

It's all in the name of trying to keep it from rusting. I have personally used almost every spray primer out there and NOTHING works to stop rust from coming on or getting worse except for the self etch primer, from the body shop supply store. The rustoleum auto primer didn't do crap. We had bare metal on dad's truck, I used it, shortly after it was painted with reg. spray gun paint, not even 6 months later every spot that got primered rusted, came right thru the paint. the other stuff is the same way.

I never had any problems with the Rustoleum Automotive Gray Primer or any Rustoleum products that I used on metal apps that was in spray cans.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Yes, why I asked. if the inside looks like the outside, trash it. If the inside is smooth and shiney or not rusted then purple power it and use it.

Inside is shiny and not rusted.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

In most cases, regular or standard primer is not intended to stop rust and yes, it will eventually rust through, unless its self etching primer. The purpose of primer is to prep the metal so that paint will stick or adhere better. If you are primering just to stop rust and not for looks or to paint right away, red oxide primer will last much longer without rusting than standard gray primer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave