Is anybody building OEM style wiring harnesses?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrushCountry

Reaction score
First Name
L
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Jabin Wood on Facebook

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Jabin Wood on Facebook

Didnt someone on this forum go on a rant about this jabin wood? Said they were a scammer ? Or was that someone else

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Painless has one specifically for the squares.....includes the firewall connector and all. Not cheap - about $650-700 IIRC, but pretty turn key. Made in USA now too.

I'm going FI, relays, etc. so went with a more general Painless kit - has the connectors for a GM column but the rest is more general use (and more circuits). I removed my original firewall connector, popped out all the connectors (easy with a small screw driver) and bought new connectors to make my own. I soaked the main gang connectors in gasoline - totally removed all the rubber cement stuff they cake it with.

NAPA has them for about $1/ea, Rock has them for 23c ea.

I can list PN's of all of it if you want.

BrushCountry

Reaction score
First Name
L
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That would be great @doppeganger

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I have it all together in the shop. Will get them shortly - its 1000F outside at the moment so gotta find something flame retardant to wear so I dont burst into flames. BTDT

:hat:

BrushCountry

Reaction score
First Name
L
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A little more info for y’all.

My application is simple. I’m running a carbed 454 with an sm465. All of the windows and locks are manual. I am currently without A/C but I’d like to put one in in the future. The dash wiring was hacked many years ago so I’m wanting to replace everything. I have never re-wired a vehicle before so I’m looking for the easiest product to install.I have heard lots about Painless, AAW, EZ Wire. So if you guys have used any of these products let me know how it went!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Ok...the Painless kit PN for square bodies is 20205. About $650.

The one I used is 10203. IIRC I used a 10% off sale at Jegs and got it for around $350. I see them now for about $400.

The individual connectors for the firewall plug is:

Female CG7; Male CG8. Both Standard brand and got them at Rock for 23c ea. I think I picked up like 30 of each just in case. Wife got me a fancy crimper too. lol

Also picked up a turn signal relay to swap out - LL552. This one works with LEDs without the need for any custom controllers. About $7.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Didnt someone on this forum go on a rant about this jabin wood? Said they were a scammer ? Or was that someone else

Yes, I’ve read he has had issues with very slow delivery and poor communication. I didn’t know this when I placed my order.

I can only speak for myself but I had a pretty good experience with him. I purchased a dash harness from him and he was willing to add / delete circuits as I requested (Painless would not) and my final product was perfect, plug & play and looks factory. I did have some communication problems but I hounded him until he responded and ultimately got my harness about 2 weeks later than promised (I thought this wasn’t bad considering it was custom).

I contacted Painless first and their answer to my custom request was to buy their unfinished truck harness and “tie up any unwanted wires”. They were also literally more than double the price of what I paid Jabin Wood.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I have it all together in the shop. Will get them shortly - its 1000F outside at the moment so gotta find something flame retardant to wear so I dont burst into flames. BTDT

Aint that the truth,i was trying to tune my big block, but its so ******* hot here , it just is wanting to overheat repeatedly

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

1000F ? Lol. You should come to southern Arizona where it's hot!

BrushCountry

Reaction score
First Name
L
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I appreciate it guys/gals. I love the idea of the phantom building an affordable custom harness; however, the horror stories are hard to get past.

Could those of you who have installed AAW and Painless systems be more specific about what you liked and disliked about them? I don’t expect a full write up by any means. Just asking for personal joy and anguish relating to the install.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I have been involved with a couple project cars that had Painless wiring, they have their good and bad points.

The good: modern ATO fuses, much higher quality wire than OEM, additional circuits for additional option, and each wire is factory color coded and labeled as to function.

The bad: you need to reuse a lot of the factory connectors and add the terminals to the connectors. That’s great if your originals are in usable condition , and your comfortable crimping the terminals.

The American Autowire is a factory replacement harness with modern ATO fuses. It includes upgraded wiring for modern alternators, provisions for additional options, and provisions for optional factory harnesses for factory options.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green K10