Inner Rocker panels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAZZARDJOHN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Does anyone make inner rocker panels for a Suburban? I am buying all my replacement sheetmetal and I can find the rocker skins which I will order, but the inner rockers are rusty too.

Here is what I bought so far,

both quarters, Rear crossmember, lower rear door skins, inner fenders, and outer rockers. Hopefully that is enough for my body man to eliminate all rust on my burb.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Most of the inner rockers on these burbs are flat so I am just fabbing mine out of flat sheet metal I bought at Home Depot. Right now I am trying to do that inner panel area in front of the rear wheel with the brackets and curved panel, real bitch to do that spot.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IMHO, if the inner rockers weren't there to begin with, the outer rockers would not rust out. If it's not a show truck, just install the outers and call it done. The extra strength shouldn't be needed, it's not like it's a jack point or anything.

bmfp407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
r20
Engine Size
lmc?

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
IMHO, if the inner rockers weren't there to begin with, the outer rockers would not rust out. If it's not a show truck, just install the outers and call it done. The extra strength shouldn't be needed, it's not like it's a jack point or anything.

You know, there just might be some truth to that. These trucks only seem to rust out where moisture can sit and not dry out. The rear boxes don't rust out on the bottom... Only around the taillights, below the tailgate and along wheel openings where there's inner sections.... If you're going to go with inner rockers, I would have it oiled.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I agree with that. After cutting some of this Burb I had to rush over the scale, and seeing how they're constructed, that's how they rust so bad. All that void and space between the inner and outer sheet metal is where the moisture builds up and is unable to get air to dry out and gives the perfect ingredients to create rust. But I also see how it adds strength and integrity. 89S prolly has the right idea using flat sheet metal.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Rockers almost always rot from the inside out, and when it first breaks through and you poke at it, an unbelievable amount of dirt and crap usually falls out.

And yeah, flat sheetmetal is about all the inner rocker is. I think it's also the same stamping as the original floor pan, but as far as I know, the replacement floor pans eliminate the inner rocker section and you have to add it on yourself.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Rockers almost always rot from the inside out, and when it first breaks through and you poke at it, an unbelievable amount of dirt and crap usually falls out.

And yeah, flat sheetmetal is about all the inner rocker is. I think it's also the same stamping as the original floor pan, but as far as I know, the replacement floor pans eliminate the inner rocker section and you have to add it on yourself.

The question is how the **** is water and dirt and sand getting in there to begin with? I know on the Burbs that bastard seam in the rear wheel housing rusts open and allows the wheels to sling all kinds of **** into the rear body panels, destroying them from the inside out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The question is how the **** is water and dirt and sand getting in there to begin with? I know on the Burbs that bastard seam in the rear wheel housing rusts open and allows the wheels to sling all kinds of **** into the rear body panels, destroying them from the inside out.

I'd guess because the welded seams just aren't good enough and over the years, crap works it's way in.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well I spent most of the afternoon welding up the inner rear driver side rocker. When I get it done I will seal seal over the panel seams and welds. Ton of phuckin work let me tell ya...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl