Inner Cab Heater/AC Housing Reference Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'll have to keep an eye open at PAP for that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll have to keep an eye open at PAP for that.

Shitcha !!! I ought to make a list of items to check for when I go. I always remember on the way home, awww FAK, I was gonna see if....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I like keeping a running list in my thread, so many new ideas pop up here and I can run and add it to the list. Scary thing if you happen to forget it you run across something and a member from here pops right into your head, like you when I saw that metal covered heater housing. I noticed the diaphragm was metal and that made me do a double take. :D

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I like keeping a running list in my thread, so many new ideas pop up here and I can run and add it to the list. Scary thing if you happen to forget it you run across something and a member from here pops right into your head, like you when I saw that metal covered heater housing. I noticed the diaphragm was metal and that made me do a double take. :D

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

Speaking of which, looky here HR... :popcorn:

Here is another heaT only setup that has the metal rear cover. Crazy thing is it's bolted in some spots and plastic welded/riveted in others... :wtf:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 613

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Heater Measurements

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Excellent images. Hope you don't mind - here they are combined as a continuous PDF. No password, just download (ignore the hype and click "free download") and unzip:

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|334p6|219952106|HVAC air handling - both sides.rar|11341|0|0

One thing I've learned about posting (even the most innocent material) to filesharing sites - if you try to download while you're at work, forget it - it will be blocked. You have to wait till you get home.

Hey, you still got this? Link aint working.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Don't remove this screw

I just finished replacing the heater core and my advice is don't remove this screw. It is better to use a pair of arc joint pliers and remove the pin in the white plastic piece that always breaks. It was impossible for me to get my hands and a 5/16 wrench in there to tighten it. I was able to remove it though!

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 334

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
white plastic piece

This is the white plastic piece i was referring to in the previous post. Anyone find a fix for this or a place to buy one cheaply?

Attachments

• white plastic.jpg
    white plastic.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I just finished replacing the heater core and my advice is don't remove this screw. It is better to use a pair of arc joint pliers and remove the pin in the white plastic piece that always breaks. It was impossible for me to get my hands and a 5/16 wrench in there to tighten it. I was able to remove it though!

This is the white plastic piece i was referring to in the previous post. Anyone find a fix for this or a place to buy one cheaply?

Ooo! Oooo! Somebody to talk heater housing with!!! :favorites13:

On the screw you mention, I removed mine, yes it's a bitch. I was barely able to access it through the rear panel. Does your rear panel remove or is it one piece?

See that def/floor door in your pic? Notice there is a spot that looks like there should be a foam piece to help seal when the door closes fully either way?

Also on that door did you notice the rod that controls it has two holes that you can adjust how far it blends?

On that plastic piece, I saw a simple fix for it but can't remember what it was. I got to dig that up. Let me look....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here is a part number, I still know there is a backyard fix somewhere.

Take out the glovebox. Behind the glovebox is the climate control box. There will be a piece of ductwork that you need to remove from the climate control box. It should be held in place with 2 screws to the box and another screw that attaches it to the next ductwork piece above it. Carefully remove the ductwork out of the way and you should see this:

You must be registered for see images attach

The rusty piece of metal in the middle of the picture is the blend door. The white(ish) piece of plastic that is attached to it is the clip that usually breaks and causes the blend door to not function properly. You can buy replacement clips through parts houses like LMC or Classic Parts, or you might still be able to order them directly through GM. Here's the GM number just in case you want to go that route #3018715. Do not attempt to buy used clips from the junkyard as the plastic degrades over time and becomes brittle. Using a used clip will cause you to have to revisit this fix in short order.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Luckily on that secomd box I bought it has a good one that wasn't broke YET. I think they all do. I thought of doing something like that backyard fix. I don't call that a backyard fix. I call the a pemenent fix and I'd do that before I spend $2.49 for another one that will break.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, its the resistor for fan speeds. Hi Med Low. At least usually what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody