Independent F&R Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiK-10

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350ci/5.7l
I was trying to search for it, but the search bar keeps taking me to eBay...

Anyway, I was wondering how much of a mission it would be to install independent front and rear suspension on one of our squares, if at all worth it. Namely an '82 K-10, no bed if that matters.

I need to replace the axles anyway, so would this kind of thing be feasible without sponsorship? I had seen an S-10 with modified Corvette Dana 60s I believe (don't take my word for it though), front and rear.

I want to be able to handle well at speed on a dirt road, while still being strong getting to those remote locations.

attachment.php

Attachments

• K-10 Scottsdale.jpg
    K-10 Scottsdale.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 882

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you're more interested in making a Truggy then huh? I've seen several squares go to 4 Link and Front and Rear Coil springs to get a ton of articulation, but I don't recall seeing any with IFS Front and Rear. I've seen many more conversions go back the other way, from IFS to Straight Axles.
You might consider COIL spring and 4 link conversion before the IFS.

epiK-10

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350ci/5.7l
4 Link is definitely on the table, though I know it would be a process to get it tuned in correctly.

The reason I'm asking about full independent is that I've seen some vehicles with it handle like a dream at speed off-road, since one wheel's movement has less effect on the others'. Even my 99 Jimmy could take rough turns easily, with only front ind.

I found the link to the truck that sparked my interest btw.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehicles/131_new_rock_truck/

I would need to be a little more... Budget minded though... I'm willing to spend, but reasonably.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
4 Link is definitely on the table, though I know it would be a process to get it tuned in correctly.

The reason I'm asking about full independent is that I've seen some vehicles with it handle like a dream at speed off-road, since one wheel's movement has less effect on the others'. Even my 99 Jimmy could take rough turns easily, with only front ind.

I found the link to the truck that sparked my interest btw.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehicles/131_new_rock_truck/

I would need to be a little more... Budget minded though... I'm willing to spend, but reasonably.
If you have your heart set on IFS, you are in for a lot of DIY engineering. Make thing a little easier, try to find a later GMT400 (88+) K truck for donor parts, and work from that......maybe use the front frame.
And always, Measure twice, cut once.

Last edited:

epiK-10

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350ci/5.7l
Ok, that's helpful. I am up for DIY, and I would rather not pay a shop a small fortune for something I could have done myself. To an extent.

Does it matter the number after the K? Would an 88 K-10 chassis work as well as an 88 K-30, as far as physical placement? My search bar still takes me to eBay for some reason. Has it been done on this forum?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I was trying to search for it, but the search bar keeps taking me to eBay...
The search bar at the top of the page is an ad-supported search bar, I wish it could be removed. The actual forum search feature is in the grey bar just above it, where UserCP, New Posts, etc is. Hope this helps as far as that goes.

I do agree the front & rear IFS would be a good thing for all-out haulin ass across rough terrain. I would assume they would use the 2500 front diff, and maybe a Corvette rear setup, and custom A-arms with long travel coil-over shocks. With the kind of money they have to spend on a setup like that I'm probably way off though lol.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How speedy are we talking on a gravel road? How rough are these roads? I am thinking the quality of the shocks is going to have more to do with the stability of the vehicle than the type of suspension. If they are roads with washboard surfaces, you need good shocks to keep up with the extension and rebound that comes with these roads. Bad shocks will not hold the tire to the road and you start to skip over the tops of the ruts, ask we how I know. If they are smooth roads, just a higher rate of speed, I would be inclined to say a solid axle set-up would do just as good, as you are now relying on tires to maintain grip with the surface.

Just some food for thought. Mind you I know nothing about high speed desert racing!

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
You're going to give up strength in a big way. If someone with pockets a deep as Walker Evans can't make it last, your chances are pretty slim. Put it on tons, linked front and rear, shock it accordingly, and you'll be set.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
so you want to travel fast and corner fast while still being able to hit the remote locations? your going to need a low center of gravity for your high speeds and a lot of flex for your remote locations your not going to find your answer in independent suspension. thats for danm sure. what your going to need to do is get your axles of choice (i.e. dana 60's, 14 bolt, dana 44's ect) and then as far as suspension goes coils front and rear with a dual triangulated 4-link set up front and rear, if you plan it well and messure 3-4 times and cut/weld once, you wont have any bind and if you use proper bump stop lengths you will be able to flex like you were lifted 12 inches with only a 3 inch lift. meaning you wont have any issues racing around at high speeds or crawling over the rocks. you should check this out if you havent it should help you accomplish what you want. make sur to post a build thread when you start! :popcorn: http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4169

epiK-10

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350ci/5.7l
The search bar at the top of the page is an ad-supported search bar, I wish it could be removed. The actual forum search feature is in the grey bar just above it, where UserCP, New Posts, etc is. Hope this helps as far as that goes.

Excellent. I hope I'm not the only one to fall for that :gr_guns:(Ads)

How speedy are we talking on a gravel road? How rough are these roads?

The roads are a mix of sand, gravel, and sandstone, and have a lot more aggressive bumps than washboard. If anyone has ever raced through Northern NM washouts, you'll know what I mean. It gets rough, with a lot of turns inside valleys and canyons. The picture below shows a bit, but there's a lot more to it.

so you want to travel fast and corner fast while still being able to hit the remote locations? your going to need a low center of gravity for your high speeds and a lot of flex for your remote locations your not going to find your answer in independent suspension. Thats for damn sure. Make sure to post a build thread when you start!

Ok, I think I may go linked, as there are a lot more resources, and have been more proven, although I may try IS just to see if I can make it happen. Rest assured, I will keep you informed either way.

attachment.php

Attachments

• rockcut.jpg
    rockcut.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 462

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Who needs IFS??? Go Straight or Go Gay !!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• articulatioon.jpg
    articulatioon.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 599

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
there is definitely way more info and resources with linked suspension and a dual triangulated 4-link is the best way to go, with that set up the only thing limiting your flex will be your shocks, but with the proper amount of bumpstops so it dosnt bottom out the shock or rub your tire and it should be like a teeter totter right off that bump stop allowing the other side to drop more and more basically until your shock os extended all the way out, one way to go if you want the best is coilovers, you will have the maximum amount of suspension travel and stability at high speeds.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666