Ignition lock cylinder won’t come out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi guys this is my first post. It is a jeep j4000 pickup. I know, it’s not a gm truck but amc switched to a gm column this year. The truck is a 1973. I took the column apart to get the lock cylinder out because it was stuck in acc. I tried pushing a screwdriver in the hole and it wasn’t doing anything it wouldn’t come out. I tried turning the key back to lock to see if that would help and it broke the whole thing. Broke the key off in the ignition and broke the faceplate off the lock cylinder. Now I’m really mad because my only key for the doors is broken in the ignition, and I can’t start the truck or anything because the damn lock cylinder is broke and there’s no way to get it out. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• B14F6E6C-B59E-45C3-B19A-3C501AC64C3A.jpeg
    B14F6E6C-B59E-45C3-B19A-3C501AC64C3A.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 60

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
If I'm not mistaken. You need to remove the black Philips screw nearest to the lock cylinder. That should release it

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Just about same thing happened to me on my yellow truck a couple years ago. I had been starting it with a screw driver for quite some time and someone moved my truck at work and turned it back to lock and I was stuck. Built my lock plate tool at work and changed cylinder out in parking lot.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have removed all the screws I can see besides one hex bolt that isn’t near the lock cylinder

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
there was a plastic square rod thing pushed in there with two copper wires hanging off it that I just pulled out, but I can’t pull on the lock cylinder very well anymore because the faceplate of it broke off

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
there was a plastic square rod thing pushed in there with two copper wires hanging off it that I just pulled out, but I can’t pull on the lock cylinder very well anymore because the faceplate of it broke off
You can see the spot the screw is supposed to go in right above the white turn signal piece in your first picture. The screw is missing(it looks like), but the cylinder needs to be turned to the position one click forward from locked. Then it should just pull straight out. I just did this last week, mine had basically frozen up internally and would turn with any key inserted, or no key at all.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I’ve tried turning it and there’s no difference. I actually broke the key and faceplate off the lock cylinder when I tried turning it further

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
You can see the spot the screw is supposed to go in right above the white turn signal piece in your first picture. The screw is missing(it looks like), but the cylinder needs to be turned to the position one click forward from locked. Then it should just pull straight out. I just did this last week, mine had basically frozen up internally and would turn with any key inserted, or no key at all.
I think there are different styles of the retention screw, IIRC mine was here below the cylinder. (not my picture) Also the video I linked above shows the guy knock out a hole in the column and manually depress a spring loaded latch. I didn't need to do that on mine, mine was just like you describe.

Attachments

• c3-corvette-tilt-telescopic-steering-column-repair-2.jpg
    c3-corvette-tilt-telescopic-steering-column-repair-2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 55

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My column is exactly the same as the one in the video

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I think there are different styles of the retention screw, IIRC mine was here below the cylinder. (not my picture) Also the video I linked above shows the guy knock out a hole in the column and manually depress a spring loaded latch. I didn't need to do that on mine, mine was just like you describe.
Ah, yep that's exactly what mine looked like! I mistook the hole on top for the phillips screw there in this picture.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks so much for this video, I was looking all over and couldn’t find one with a column like that. I was pushing in the hole to the left. I will try the other hole later today
Good luck Sir, my column didn't look the same but is a little newer than yours.

When the guy said he had to knock out a piece of aluminum with a punch I was expecting it to be one of those guys on youtube that has no clue, but it seemed legit so I shared it.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Mine are both knocked out already. I haven’t tried it yet but I will later. Hopefully I can get the broken off key out of that lock cylinder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod