Ignition cylinder and steering lock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I'm preparing to dig in, but have not done so yet. Hopefully this isn't a painfully obvious question once the parts are in front of me...

I believe I need to replace my ignition/key cylinder soon. Occasionally it won't let me turn the ignition off without pressing the cylinder in further and hangs up otherwise, intermittently. Unless someone tells me otherwise, i plan on replacing the key cylinder with the most decent looking piece on Rock Auto or Amazon...
for my real question, this truck is mostly used as a TOAD, pulled behind my motorhome on all 4 tires with transfer case in neutral and key on to unlock the steering wheel. Is it possible or advisable to modify or remove something in the column to bypass the steering wheel lock, such that I don't have to have the key on to flat tow it? Is there an older/different model cylinder that would do what I want?

Thanks in advance.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
One of the 1st steps in disassembly after removing the steering wheel is removing the lock plate. The plate is necessary in the column, but the spring that activates the lock pin could be disconnected or removed to achieve your desired results.

You can see the pin around 11 o'clock in the pic below.

Attachments

• 20220526_180829.jpg
    20220526_180829.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 46

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Here is the pin and spring- the spring is the one on the left held in by the bolt.

HTH !

Attachments

• 20220526_190135.jpg
    20220526_190135.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 70

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Well, I couldn't get to the spring. Got the cylinder replaced etc though.
I'm not sure if I trust it, but I put a plastic ring behind the lock plate and trimmed everything to fit and have clearance, except for the lock slots, which keeps the pin from engaging. I'll try it a while before I actually trust it towing, we'll see. I also pulled the contact for the ignition buzzer, since I generally leave the key in it when I'm using it for hunting or camping and I'm constantly having to pull it just out of the ignition to keep it from making noise.
Writing that down makes me sound lazy, but the little things make me happy. And besides, laziness and efficiency are actually the same formula with different variables held constant. I prefer to think of myself as efficient.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave